2012 Nav SD Card price

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicedcar

I just had to order an Nav SD Card for a 2012 and the dealer cost is still $250. I was hoping the price had come down a bit. Just an FYI in case anyone is curious.

Take care,
John

If you have your SD card, get the info from the MENU button -> Info -> Navigation Version and write down the info (specifically the Confirmation Code, as it's the only thing you can't get if your SD card is missing). Then you can order SD cards from nissan.navigation.com for $179 and you'll get the latest maps (at least if you have an '11-'13... not sure if that'll work if you have a '14-'15).
At least it's a little cheaper than getting it through the dealer that way in case of theft.

I called about getting an update and without the original SD Card the update SD Card will not work. I could not find anyway around ordering a replacement from the dealer. The last thing I wanted to spend $300 on an SD card for a LEAF that was suppose to come with one.

Absolutely. So the update card goes in the second slot? I'm confused -- I thought it replaced the original card. Has anyone ever gotten the update card and can explain how it works?

Hmmm. OK then.
I did hear from a non-Nissan dealer that if you get a used card and can find a sympathetic dealer, the dealers can reprogram the SD cards to work with a different LEAF. That was how that non-Nissan dealer was selling their LEAFs they bought from auction w/o SD cards.

I am a non-Nissan dealer selling used leafs and when I get one from auction without an SD card I have to buy one from the Nissan dealer for $300. I wish there was a way around it, but I haven't found one yet. The dealer has to order the card and it takes at least 2 weeks.

Might want to ask around to the local dealers if they'd be willing/able to reprogram cards obtained via other methods (eBay?) for a small fee. This dealer told me they got theirs done for about $50, as I recall.

$50 sounds a whole lot better than $300. I asked all the dealers around here and none can "re-program" an SD Card. From what I understand it has to come from Clarion

Seems like we would be wise to make a backup of our cards, just in case.

Has anyone tried this?
Is there anything like "copy protection" on these cards?

Bob

Bob said:
Seems like we would be wise to make a backup of our cards, just in case.

Or at least gather all the information required to get a new one.

Perhaps this is data we could compile here? Then, if a card goes missing and we have the VIN number and corresponding data for that vehicle, it could be provided to the owner. This would be particularly useful when a vehicle is purchased used, the card is missing, and the new owner comes here looking for help with this issue.

But what data would that be? Just the confirmation code and VIN? (The other two pieces of info the head unit provides under Information are displayed on the "NO SD CARD" screen anyway.)

ishiyakazuo said:
But what data would that be? Just the confirmation code and VIN? (The other two pieces of info the head unit provides under Information are displayed on the "NO SD CARD" screen anyway.)

I don't know what the NO SD CARD screen shows or doesn't show...never seen one.

But I do know that for a new card Nissan requires the Unit Code, Serial Number, and Confirmation Code. So any of those things not available to an owner with a missing card, plus the VIN number to cross reference against.

mwalsh said:
ishiyakazuo said:

I don't know what the NO SD CARD screen shows or doesn't show...never seen one.

But I do know that for a new card Nissan requires the Unit Code, Serial Number, and Confirmation Code. So any of those things not available to an owner with a missing card, plus the VIN number to cross reference against.
Here's a post I made when I was looking into this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10146&p=426686#p426686
The NO SD CARD screen provides the Unit Code and Serial Number, but not Confirmation Code.
I'm questioning if knowing those three things will get you a new SD card now, though. From what I understand now, getting the map update requires the original card as well. The map update purchase page requires the Unit Code, Serial Number and Confirmation Code, but is there another source where you can buy the card with this info? From what I've heard from others who've gone through the ordeal, if you buy it from a dealer, they use the VIN, Unit Code and Serial Number to order a new SD card.

TomT said:
You can't back it up. It is a secure data card and not copyable.
Has anyone actually tried that yet?
I've see a few threads that mention this, but not one where someone has actually tried a linux dd dump and see if it will actually work???
I know that they are tied to the head unit of each system, so copying to another car won't work. But using the "Secure" part of an SD card costs extra licensing money...
I assume it's the case and they did that also (which is partially why they are so expensive to replace), but it would be funny to find out that they didn't and it's just that no one has tried. ;-)

desiv

Back