Future of Carwings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn

We've known that being 2G connected, the future of Carwings will be limited by cell networks switching off the older infrastructure.

Today I read that NissanConnectEV will replace Carwings in the 2016 Leaf.

But, can I get clarification of a few terms.

It appears to me studying the owners manual, that Carwings is the name of the Telemetrics service. The actual hardware and software in the vehicle is just called the Leaf Navigation System.

Looking at Nissan's website (for gasoline vehicles), it appears that NissanConnect system refers to the hardware, software, and telemetrics service. So after 2G is shut off what will happen to Carwings? I'm sure we will need the 2G modem upgraded.

And, from the Nissan website, to get the features of the Carwings system with NissanConnect (gasoline) will cost up to $24 per month (after a six-month trial period) to get the same functionality as we now have for free using Carwings. So maybe we don't want the new NCEV software.

Will NissanConnectEV software replace the Leaf Navigation system? Is that possible?

This topic has been discussed in many threads previously...but, the announcement of NissanConnect does throw a monkey-wrench into things. I had predicted that Nissan would simply provide an upgrade/replacement (terms TBD) for the modem portion of the telematics service, but now I'm not so sure. If their goal is to decommission the CarWings system, then they may offer a complete replacement (as you suggested), which creates a whole other set of questions from installation to cost. Maybe this will be come the next "great controversy" (after battery pack degradation) for existing Leaf owners!

mtn said:
And, from the Nissan website, to get the features of the Carwings system with NC (gasoline) will cost up to $24 per month after a six-month trial period! to get the same functionality as we now have for free using Carwings. So maybe we don't want the new NCEV software.

If that's true, I definitely wouldn't want NCEV! I cannot imagine paying a one-time fee of $288 for the limited usefulness of CarWings, let alone paying that every single year!

Stanton said:
This topic has been discussed in many threads previously...but, the announcement of NissanConnect does throw a monkey-wrench into things. I had predicted that Nissan would simply provide an upgrade/replacement (terms TBD) for the modem portion of the telematics service, but now I'm not so sure. If their goal is to decommission the CarWings system, then they may offer a complete replacement (as you suggested), which creates a whole other set of questions from installation to cost. Maybe this will be come the next "great controversy" (after battery pack degradation) for existing Leaf owners!
The language on the Monroney sticker is vague. Who at Nissan do we contact to express our interest in continued use of Carwings?

EVforRobert said:
The language on the Monroney sticker is vague. Who at Nissan do we contact to express our interest in continued use of Carwings?

At this point, I'm not sure it even matters. Nissan has obviously decided to 'go a different route', and all we can hope for is that they offer options besides NC @$24/month. It's kind of like that line in Die Hard: "we'll try and warn you if we use some of your men"!

Perhaps the only things I will likely miss from carwings is the peace of mind to make sure charging is happening when I really need it when I grab a charge away from home, and the very rare time I turn on the AC to pre heat or cool off the car.... At one time there was an effort to use a phone and bluetooth to control such items using one of the cars communication buses... While possible, not sure there is enough demand to warrant continuing...

Pop-up on the log in page this AM:

ATTENTION
We’re Moving! On September 29th, the LEAF® Owner Portal is merging with the Nissan Owner portal, plus there’s a new name and app for CARWINGS®. Starting on September 29th, when you click the link for the LEAF Owner Portal, you will be taken to the Nissan Owner Portal, where you will see the new name for CARWINGS, NissanConnectSM EV. Log in with your current username and password and follow the prompts to complete the registration process, including selecting an email address as your username. Then you’ll be all set to manage your LEAF on the new site! The new NissanConnectSM EV smartphone app will be pushed out in early October if your phone is set for automatic updates, or you’ll receive a notification if it’s set for manual updates.

edatoakrun said:
Pop-up on the log in page this AM:

ATTENTION
We’re Moving! On September 29th, the LEAF® Owner Portal is merging with the Nissan Owner portal, plus there’s a new name and app for CARWINGS®. Starting on September 29th, when you click the link for the LEAF Owner Portal, you will be taken to the Nissan Owner Portal, where you will see the new name for CARWINGS, NissanConnectSM EV. Log in with your current username and password and follow the prompts to complete the registration process, including selecting an email address as your username. Then you’ll be all set to manage your LEAF on the new site! The new NissanConnectSM EV smartphone app will be pushed out in early October if your phone is set for automatic updates, or you’ll receive a notification if it’s set for manual updates.

This is HUGE news and will affect ALL Leaf owners. One of the first questions I have is: what will happen to the "Leaf Link" App I've been using for years? I'm going to send an email to the Contact Info in the App Help.

Back