Update Navigator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzocc2

How is it possible update Navigator my Nissan Leaf 2013?
On the manual not indicate the procedure.
I would like mainly maps.
Thank you
Enzo from Siena in Italy

Follow this link . You will be sent a sd card. The sd card is next the cd player behind info display.

http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en_US/NissanNA/USD

Is there a free version of the navigation update? It seems that $180 for a map is a bit steep. Especially when Apple Maps and Google Maps are free. I would much rather use my car nav system, but not for that price... Just checking!

Unfortunately, there is no cheap map update for the Leaf or other cars. Car makers have you captive. They lock out competition by requiring the SD card have your car's serial number encoded in it. Then they use map updates to make a high profit. It's not just Nissan. All car makers charge $200-$400 for map updates. Yet the maps are the same maps as Garmin, Tomtom, and others give away for free with Lifetime Maps versions of their Navs.

If someone were willing to spend a few hundred hours, they might be able to crack the SD encryption and determine how to counterfeit updated maps for a car. I've never heard of this being done, and personally, I wouldn't trust rogue software in my car. You might recall that there was a recent story about some university hackers controlling a Jeep remotely as an experiment. They did it by getting into the car's control bus through the entertainment system. If someone were smart enough to figure out how to crack the nav security... :(

Bob

Could anybody collaborate why Nissan offers North America 2018 map version update to 2016+ models for $129, while older Leafs are stuck with old 2017 map update for $179?

You can see it here while selecting different model years for Leaf: http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en_US/NissanNA/USD

I tried to chat, but it connected to UK branch. Looks like phone and email is only option to talk with US branch. I think "HERE" is the company handling maps updates for Nissan.

A lot of finger pointing today between Here, Nissan EV and Nissan Consumer Affairs. After, pin-pong between those three, Nissan EV finally opened support case into outdated Nav maps for 2010-2017 Leafs (last updated 02/2016). All other models have recent maps. The Nissan EV consumer affair rep sighted the fact Leaf is limited range vehicle - it does not need any map updates, lol, Case closed by Nissan.

Although HERE accepted order for Leaf 2015 maps update, they have none in stock and have no clue what is going on with those maps, neither Nissan, all pointing fingers at each other.

Just received 2017 Leaf 2015 Updated map, The car navigation upgraded maps from new SD card, no need to enter any activation code/key. I could not read anything from neither old Nav SD card 2013-2014 North America maps nor new New SD card with 2016-2017 North America maps. Ubuntu 18.04 would not mount it, Windows 10 would not mount it, so there is no way to read CID or copy anything for backup. All it says it is Map Data 16GB S4520-0081-702NAM. The instructions says you can re-use old maps SD card by re-formating it, but computer does not even recognize it as a storage device, so no way you can reuse it, lol Anyone knows anything about those unreadable SD cards?

I think those are formatted with TFAT or TexFAT for Windows CE devices as it has "CE" printed on the back. May need Windows CE ARM tablet to see content on these cards, and no way to see the CID on it. Probably they use different Nav units in EU, I think 2016+ US Leafs are using other Nav model, hopefully not Windows CE as it was discontinued a while ago.

bitmanEV said:
Yes, the CE label is probably relates to the link you posted. I read on other threads the Nav unit is Clarion Windows CE device. Only Windows CE has support for a few exotic file systems, not available on other OS, so Nissan/Clarion/Navteq might be using it as security feature. I will know in a few days if this is true. Actually there is a way to read CID in Windows CE, so it should be interesting.

I got Sylvania Netbook SYNET07526-Z small Windows CE netbook. Windows CE 6.0 R2 could not read this damn Nissan Map Data SD card. Partition Magic on Windows 10 reports 2 GB of something with "bad data". Anybody knows how to even look what is on this SD cards?

I formatted some empty SD card with TFAT and TexFAT and Ubuntu and Windows could mount and read those just fine.

Finally, the maps for US leaf 2011-2015 are updated with 2018 maps: https://nissan.navigation.com/product/Catalog/Catalog_Leaf_2015/Nissan-LEAF-2018-Map-Update/sku/ev_master_variation_18/en_US/NissanNA/USD
It looks like the new 2018 maps are pretty current, compared to dated 2017(2016) update.

Back