User avatar
Jefe
Gold Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Nov 2015
Leaf Number: 405983
Location: Raleigh, NC

USB splitter in the USB port

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:57 am

Has anyone ever tried using a USB splitter (Y cable, etc.) in the USB port? I want to leave my iPod connected but also connect my iphone and I'm wondering if the Leaf unit will freak out at detecting 2 different devices there.
2013 SV + Premium Pkg. No QC.

powersurge
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:28 am

You have 2 ipod-like devices together... no-good. charge one with the cigarette lighter..

User avatar
redLEAF
Gold Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:00 pm

For charging, I use one of these so can charge two devices at the same time ... I'm sure there are others but liked this one as it will flex and really stays plugged in the way its designed; have used it in 3 different cars

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YDK1HYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use the single USB with a memory stick for music, on our '12, doesn't show the album covers but does a decent job listing the albums and songs; on a PC a USB splitter might make sense but on a LEAF its low power and really designed just as a data out connection; if you search a few more threads you'll see more info folks have posted on this
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2017) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

jpadc
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 am
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014
Location: Indiana & Wisconsin

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Jefe wrote:Has anyone ever tried using a USB splitter (Y cable, etc.) in the USB port?

The built in usb is so low powered it won't even charge a single larger device. Get a usb adapter for the auxiliary plug.
2013 Leaf S /w Charge Package - Purchased new in Iowa City Dec. 2014
My previous car was a 2008 Prius Touring Package 5 - 73k Miles, 43 MPG lifetime

pncguy
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 335105
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:23 am

redLEAF wrote:For charging, I use one of these so can charge two devices at the same time ... I'm sure there are others but liked this one as it will flex and really stays plugged in the way its designed; have used it in 3 different cars

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YDK1HYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use the single USB with a memory stick for music, on our '12, doesn't show the album covers but does a decent job listing the albums and songs; on a PC a USB splitter might make sense but on a LEAF its low power and really designed just as a data out connection; if you search a few more threads you'll see more info folks have posted on this


Will you please post a photo of this in your Leaf? I had been thinking of the exact same product, but I was concerned about clearance for the cup holders directly below the DC port.

mjblazin
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:53 pm

I use a cigarette lighter plug with 2 USB plugs. $7 at OfficeDepot. I expected to find them in computer section. They were up front near checkout with main feature being offered in Day GLO colors. That plug can charge an iPhone and iPad.

I have only used the real USB plug as a test. I would like to use it for a settings back up to a drive, but I cannot find any process that does a back up. A few specific areas not tied to important settings can get transferred, but they do not seem worth it.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
11/12 bars. 235 gids 18.2 kWh
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

User avatar
redLEAF
Gold Member
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm

pncguy wrote:
redLEAF wrote:For charging, I use one of these so can charge two devices at the same time ... I'm sure there are others but liked this one as it will flex and really stays plugged in the way its designed; have used it in 3 different cars

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YDK1HYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use the single USB with a memory stick for music, on our '12, doesn't show the album covers but does a decent job listing the albums and songs; on a PC a USB splitter might make sense but on a LEAF its low power and really designed just as a data out connection; if you search a few more threads you'll see more info folks have posted on this


Will you please post a photo of this in your Leaf? I had been thinking of the exact same product, but I was concerned about clearance for the cup holders directly below the DC port.


It would work good with the existing cup holders as long as you kept the phone vertical. The only drawback is that it won't fit a 'mophie' equipped iPhone with the extra battery (makes the phone too thick for the holder) but as you can leave it charging not a big deal. Mine is a 5s with a slim armour case in the photo below; seems to work the best in my wife's smart cabrio (we bought it for that car as we didn't get the car-based GPS for it and use the phone's) but I like it in the LEAF so I don't miss any alerts, etc. Seems to be pretty well made for the price and stays in place without having to fidget with it. Stays close at hand without getting in the way if that makes any sense ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2017) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

mjblazin
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:52 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:47 am

Amazon sells one for $30 that has a cylindrical base that fits into cup holder and has adjustable clamps on side and small ledge on the bottom. You can fit any phone in it. It is all plastic, but works fine. I just leave the plug/USB port in lighter slot with cable and attach the phone on every trip, logged in LeafSpy. You cannot see the plug and need to make habit to press it in to get charged. For some reason it works loose over time.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
11/12 bars. 235 gids 18.2 kWh
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

pncguy
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 335105
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: USB splitter in the USB port

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Thank you SOO much for sharing the photo. It does look pretty big, but appears to be out of the way if you push it to one side.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”