USB splitter in the USB port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe

Has anyone ever tried using a USB splitter (Y cable, etc.) in the USB port? I want to leave my iPod connected but also connect my iphone and I'm wondering if the Leaf unit will freak out at detecting 2 different devices there.

For charging, I use one of these so can charge two devices at the same time ... I'm sure there are others but liked this one as it will flex and really stays plugged in the way its designed; have used it in 3 different cars

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YDK1HYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use the single USB with a memory stick for music, on our '12, doesn't show the album covers but does a decent job listing the albums and songs; on a PC a USB splitter might make sense but on a LEAF its low power and really designed just as a data out connection; if you search a few more threads you'll see more info folks have posted on this

redLEAF said:
For charging, I use one of these so can charge two devices at the same time ... I'm sure there are others but liked this one as it will flex and really stays plugged in the way its designed; have used it in 3 different cars

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YDK1HYG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use the single USB with a memory stick for music, on our '12, doesn't show the album covers but does a decent job listing the albums and songs; on a PC a USB splitter might make sense but on a LEAF its low power and really designed just as a data out connection; if you search a few more threads you'll see more info folks have posted on this

Will you please post a photo of this in your Leaf? I had been thinking of the exact same product, but I was concerned about clearance for the cup holders directly below the DC port.

I use a cigarette lighter plug with 2 USB plugs. $7 at OfficeDepot. I expected to find them in computer section. They were up front near checkout with main feature being offered in Day GLO colors. That plug can charge an iPhone and iPad.

I have only used the real USB plug as a test. I would like to use it for a settings back up to a drive, but I cannot find any process that does a back up. A few specific areas not tied to important settings can get transferred, but they do not seem worth it.

pncguy said:
redLEAF said:

Will you please post a photo of this in your Leaf? I had been thinking of the exact same product, but I was concerned about clearance for the cup holders directly below the DC port.

It would work good with the existing cup holders as long as you kept the phone vertical. The only drawback is that it won't fit a 'mophie' equipped iPhone with the extra battery (makes the phone too thick for the holder) but as you can leave it charging not a big deal. Mine is a 5s with a slim armour case in the photo below; seems to work the best in my wife's smart cabrio (we bought it for that car as we didn't get the car-based GPS for it and use the phone's) but I like it in the LEAF so I don't miss any alerts, etc. Seems to be pretty well made for the price and stays in place without having to fidget with it. Stays close at hand without getting in the way if that makes any sense ...

Attachments

• IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 116
Amazon sells one for $30 that has a cylindrical base that fits into cup holder and has adjustable clamps on side and small ledge on the bottom. You can fit any phone in it. It is all plastic, but works fine. I just leave the plug/USB port in lighter slot with cable and attach the phone on every trip, logged in LeafSpy. You cannot see the plug and need to make habit to press it in to get charged. For some reason it works loose over time.

Thank you SOO much for sharing the photo. It does look pretty big, but appears to be out of the way if you push it to one side.

Back