Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Re: Crime novelist question

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:30 pm

downeykp wrote:When is next book coming out?

I'm working on a couple of things, actually, but don't have a target time frame. My last one won an award as the best detective novel at a website and I'm trying to use my momentum there to get author appearances and newspaper interviews - nothing big, just local stuff. I'm sort of taking off writing to do some marketing.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Danl
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 404384

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Rat wrote:
Danl wrote:Yes, LeafSpy records lat and long elevation and speed once a minute if logging is turned on.
It puts this into dropbox in a excel compatable file if dropbox is turned on.

This looks good. I'm not familiar with LeafSpy. Is that hardware device that plugs into the port under the dash?

Probably 1/2 the Leaf drivers on these forums use LeafSpy. If you are doing a tech item on the Leaf you need to understand LeafSpy.

Go to Accessories/mods and then CANBus and then do some homework on it.

Yes, it enables access to data in the Leaf computer system through the connector under the dash. It displays data on your smart phone.

Thanks,
Dan
2013 SilverLeaf, bought used with 25200 miles

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:08 am

How about just an Android phone, for somebody who has location history turned on.
Have you seen Google Maps Timeline?

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline

If you have a Google account and have turned on the feature, you can see exactly where you were at any point in the past. You can look at specific days and it will tell you the hours you were at each location, and show the routes you took to travel between locations.

Once you've signed in and turned on location history, you can use the controls at the top-left to look at specific dates.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

Rat

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:12 am

I don't have a smart phone or any bluetooth device (other than the Leaf), but my main character does. I'm very familiar with GPS technology, though. I don't think it's critical to have the tech aspects absolutely perfect in a novel, but I try to be as accurate as possible. I could use a tracking device once the main character has focused on him, but that won't work to show where the suspect has been in the past, before there was any interest or suspicion. That's the part I'm trying to nail down. I want him to be able to find out the info by accessing the suspect's car, not the suspect's phone. I'll research the LeafSpy thread, though just to get an idea of how it works.
OnWords

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Rat wrote:I want him to be able to find out the info by accessing the suspect's car, not the suspect's phone.
Then I'm afraid LeafSpy won't help. It's an app that runs on your phone to let you look at various things going on with your car via the OBD port. No data will be stored on the car itself from this app.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:37 pm

garsh wrote:
Rat wrote:I want him to be able to find out the info by accessing the suspect's car, not the suspect's phone.
Then I'm afraid LeafSpy won't help. It's an app that runs on your phone to let you look at various things going on with your car via the OBD port. No data will be stored on the car itself from this app.

Just to clarify, LeafSpy can be run on most android devices with blue-tooth capability. It can be on a tablet, it does not have to be on a phone. I use a separate tablet that runs LeafSpy Pro. That way, I don't have issues with my phone trying to connect to the NAV system and OBD dongle at the same time. The NAV connection for the phone is important here, as just having the phone in your hand while driving is illegal.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Rat

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Yeah, I assumed as much. I have a tablet (Kindle) that has the LeafSpy app available, but it doesn't have bluetooth, only wi-fi and a USB port/cable.
OnWords

baustin

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:30 am

Rat wrote:Yeah, I assumed as much. I have a tablet (Kindle) that has the LeafSpy app available, but it doesn't have bluetooth, only wi-fi and a USB port/cable.

Are you sure there's no bluetooth? I use a Kindle Fire tablet that has Leaf Spy Pro installed on it. I also have an older HP tablet with Leaf Spy Lite installed.

Rat

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:10 am

baustin wrote:
Rat wrote:Yeah, I assumed as much. I have a tablet (Kindle) that has the LeafSpy app available, but it doesn't have bluetooth, only wi-fi and a USB port/cable.

Are you sure there's no bluetooth? I use a Kindle Fire tablet that has Leaf Spy Pro installed on it. I also have an older HP tablet with Leaf Spy Lite installed.

I went back to read the product description and it says it has "built-in bluetooth with support for A2DP" headphones speakers, etc. Maybe it would work with LeafSpy after all. However, I have no idea how make bluetooth work. I don't see a bluetooth icon or app listed. Does this mean I can play audiobooks or music on my kindle through the car speakers without the Aux cable and with the steering wheel audio controls?
OnWords

baustin

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:56 am

Rat wrote:
baustin wrote:

I went back to read the product description and it says it has "built-in bluetooth with support for A2DP" headphones speakers, etc. Maybe it would work with LeafSpy after all. However, I have no idea how make bluetooth work. I don't see a bluetooth icon or app listed. Does this mean I can play audiobooks or music on my kindle through the car speakers without the Aux cable and with the steering wheel audio controls?

The bluetooth options (on mine) are in Settings under Wireless & Networks. Theoretically, you should be able to link the tablet as a media device using bluetooth. I've never tried. I usually leave bluetooth turned off. I get a prompt that enables it when Leaf Spy is started.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”