Doomsday
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016

Has anyone replaced the navi unit with a android auto head unit?

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Just wondering if anyone has done that yet. I didnt see any youtube videos on it. Basically was wondering if it was possible to put in an after market head unit and still be able to get access to energy information of the car. Im not willing to pay almost $200 to upgrade the maps in my car when my cell phone works perfectly fine and always has the latest maps for free. I would much rather get a infotainment system that was actually useful because about the only thing that gets used on mine so far is just having the energy screen and the surround back up camera.

rodmacpherson
Delivery Date: 10 May 2017

Re: Has anyone replaced the navi unit with a android auto head unit?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:24 pm

"when my cell phone works perfectly fine and always has the latest maps for free." *

* free except for the cost of the data plan to download them.

I totally understand. I spent $300 a couple of years ago to put a 2 DIN android based stereo into my Jeep (which I'm now replacing with a used LEAF) I will miss some things about the android head unit. Mainly, the option of Google Maps when I connect it to the WiFi from my phone, and the much better support for audio files and display of cover art, built-in Audible audio book player, built-in Podcast Addict .... but I can mount my cell phone and connect it to the car stereo by bluetooth to get all that.

Adding a cell phone mount, or mounting a small android tablet on the dash above the existing stereo (ala 3rd party GPS) is probably the best bet. or, if the info you are after can be read by an app like LeafSpy You could probably replace it altogether with an android or android auto stereo.
You wouldn't have any way to input settings to the charging timer or HVAC timer if you change the stereo, but maybe those are not features you care about.
Rod MacPherson
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (purchased used June 2017)
2014 Chevy Volt (purchased new Feb 2014)
2x L2 Clipper Creek EVSEs

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”