Has anyone replaced the navi unit with a android auto head unit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doomsday

Just wondering if anyone has done that yet. I didnt see any youtube videos on it. Basically was wondering if it was possible to put in an after market head unit and still be able to get access to energy information of the car. Im not willing to pay almost $200 to upgrade the maps in my car when my cell phone works perfectly fine and always has the latest maps for free. I would much rather get a infotainment system that was actually useful because about the only thing that gets used on mine so far is just having the energy screen and the surround back up camera.

"when my cell phone works perfectly fine and always has the latest maps for free." *

* free except for the cost of the data plan to download them.

I totally understand. I spent $300 a couple of years ago to put a 2 DIN android based stereo into my Jeep (which I'm now replacing with a used LEAF) I will miss some things about the android head unit. Mainly, the option of Google Maps when I connect it to the WiFi from my phone, and the much better support for audio files and display of cover art, built-in Audible audio book player, built-in Podcast Addict .... but I can mount my cell phone and connect it to the car stereo by bluetooth to get all that.

Adding a cell phone mount, or mounting a small android tablet on the dash above the existing stereo (ala 3rd party GPS) is probably the best bet. or, if the info you are after can be read by an app like LeafSpy You could probably replace it altogether with an android or android auto stereo.
You wouldn't have any way to input settings to the charging timer or HVAC timer if you change the stereo, but maybe those are not features you care about.

jerkwagon said:
its ridiculous that it doesnt support android auto. this day and age why not?

the car was designed in 2009-2010 and hasn't changed much since then. the tech is showing it's age if not the EV part that is about 80yrs ahead of most ICE cars.

jerkwagon said:

I work in the Auto industry for a manufacturer. Before I say anything else, I want to stress that these are my own thoughts, don't represent the views of my company, etc, etc. That said, to me there are a couple of reasons Android Auto (and CarPlay) haven't seen broad adoption across the industry:

First, Apple and Google have specific reasons to want access to the infotainment unit in a vehicle. Apple wants to own the user experience, the whole thing. To an Auto Manufacturer (OEM), the Infotainment system is one of the most visible components of the brand to the customer. The OEM doesn't want to cede that space to another company, nor lose control over it. Google wants the space because they want to accumulate data on driving, the driver, and the environment, but they're not particularly interested in sharing that information back with the OEM. Since that data is a source for not only the future of design and development, but also potentially of revenue, there's naturally resistance to giving the space to someone else.

Second, Cost: It may seem like the Infotainment system in your LEAF is just a simple computer, and adding support for another technology is relatively trivial. Due to the complexity and tight regulation of what that computer does, and how it can do it, means that adding support for a given technology means that it has to be planned years ahead of time. Manufacturers are always working to reduce that, and we all see how important it is that the speed in which that's updated is increased.

I have no doubt that even though the LEAF design is ~2009-2010, that doesn't mean that Nissan has been resting on its laurels. They've probably spent a good amount of time considering whether or not adding Android Auto (and CarPlay) fits their brand, provides a valuable add to the customer, is something that dealers can sell to customers, and is cost effective enough include (to name a few - I don't know what other considerations they may be making)

rodmacpherson said:
"when my cell phone works perfectly fine and always has the latest maps for free." *

* free except for the cost of the data plan to download them.
Or don't use a data plan.

With Google Maps, you can download an area over WiFi and then use them without a data plan. I did this when we were touring Utah last fall where we were out of coverage much of the time. Offline route planning even works.

Additionally, there is Open Street Maps and OsmAnd. Download over WiFi, use all you want without data.

(you need a data plan for traffic updates and things like Waze, of course)

sircastor said:
jerkwagon said:

I work in the Auto industry for a manufacturer. Before I say anything else, I want to stress that these are my own thoughts, don't represent the views of my company, etc, etc. That said, to me there are a couple of reasons Android Auto (and CarPlay) haven't seen broad adoption across the industry:

First, Apple and Google have specific reasons to want access to the infotainment unit in a vehicle. Apple wants to own the user experience, the whole thing. To an Auto Manufacturer (OEM), the Infotainment system is one of the most visible components of the brand to the customer. The OEM doesn't want to cede that space to another company, nor lose control over it. Google wants the space because they want to accumulate data on driving, the driver, and the environment, but they're not particularly interested in sharing that information back with the OEM. Since that data is a source for not only the future of design and development, but also potentially of revenue, there's naturally resistance to giving the space to someone else.

Second, Cost: It may seem like the Infotainment system in your LEAF is just a simple computer, and adding support for another technology is relatively trivial. Due to the complexity and tight regulation of what that computer does, and how it can do it, means that adding support for a given technology means that it has to be planned years ahead of time. Manufacturers are always working to reduce that, and we all see how important it is that the speed in which that's updated is increased.

I have no doubt that even though the LEAF design is ~2009-2010, that doesn't mean that Nissan has been resting on its laurels. They've probably spent a good amount of time considering whether or not adding Android Auto (and CarPlay) fits their brand, provides a valuable add to the customer, is something that dealers can sell to customers, and is cost effective enough include (to name a few - I don't know what other considerations they may be making)
Well if the infotainment system is one of the most visible components of the brand then Nissan's Brand is awful. When you get get a great experience for your customers with Apple and you don't do it, leaving your users disappointed and frustrated that doesn't reflect well on your brand. I guess they did it for the 2018 car but it's too late for me who needed a car now. I knew I wasn't getting the CarPlay but I didn't know the Nissan Connect was so confusing and hard to use. You can use it and get it to work more or less but it's not what you expect to find in a 2017 car.

did anyone successfully replace the 2015 Nissan Leaf SL infotainment system with an Android Auto unit? I'm considering buying a Leaf but would really like to put Android Auto in it.

cucabueno said:
did anyone successfully replace the 2015 Nissan Leaf SL infotainment system with an Android Auto unit? I'm considering buying a Leaf but would really like to put Android Auto in it.

This is not practical/possible with the SV or SL models due to the number of functions tied in to the operation of the car.

This is possible, and there are several posts from those that have done it, with the S model.

Acura4Ever said:
Just install a raspberry that run with android auto. That is what I use ;)

I would like to hear more about how you did this, in particular how you are getting the output from the raspberry onto the Nissan screen.

Thanks, Nick.

I add the raspberry with a touchscreen installed on the dash. It's not replacing the nissan's lcd. From what I search it's not possible when you have the NAV option. So I just follow this web site : https://github.com/opencardev/crankshaft/wiki/Getting-started-with-Crankshaft

Everything works great but wanted to have wifi tethering and now many problem using android auto. With the usb cable, it was good. It's like having a second screen from the phone but on the raspberry, with limited option (call, msg, gps, music)

I'll take a picture of my setup.

It's good but you cannot run leafspy on it. So, i'm actually trying something else the have all the same feature of a phone but with leaf spy.

Hope it clarify your question.

Thanks, that does answer my questions. I am new to Leafs and was kinda hoping there was some sort of aux video input so I could just plug an external video source in, but alas that does not seem possible.

Thanks again for answering :)

Thanks for the picture. I don't think the wife is likely to allow me to add another screen.

I wish some smart person would develop an open source head unit that fully integrated with the leaf. Perhaps communicating with the leaf via can bus.

What exactly are the barriers to putting, say, an Android head unit in and running leaf spy and torque?

MAR156 said:
Or so (additional display)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AwwqN_wXyI

Hello from Finland. i am new here, i own e-nv200 year 2018 and i am chancing the "useless" factory navi head unit to android head unit. the only thing i would be missing is heater adjustment display. this type solution seen in this video would solve that problem! anyone know how this is made? thank you!

Just upgraded my base model to an Android head unit. More info here http://www.japtoys.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3613&start=90#p71703

YvbiyRt.jpg

Really loving it!

Back