Need a new GSM phone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
You may know I've been having trouble with my phone and it's Bluetooth interfering with my car being able to connect to the Carwings Data Center. I know it's BT on this phone in particular (Sony Ericsson Z520A) because BT on my wife's phone doesn't interfere the same way, and when I turn BT off on my phone all is still good.

So what I need from you guys is to know what model GSM (ie: T-Mobile, AT&T, TracPhone, etc...) phone you're able to successfully use in the LEAF.

Actually, what we ALL need is for Nissan to publish a list of phones they've tested with the LEAF, just like they do for all the other cars in their line. :?

phones.jpg

evnow said:
I think it is still a Leaf problem. I don't see how BT can interfere with G3 used by Carwings.

It could be a problem with his phone not the BT itself, one related to the BT radio or phone.

Do you need a GSM phone to work with Carwings? I was thinking of geting the new I phone from Verizon.

EVDRIVER said:
It could be a problem with his phone not the BT itself, one related to the BT radio or phone.
You mean BT putting out wrong frequencies and interfering with G3 ?

Make sure you get an Android phone, since Nissan has already announced they'll have an app for it shortly.

I'm using the iPhone app on the iPad, and it works fairly well, though rather slow...

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
You mean BT putting out wrong frequencies and interfering with G3 ?

Some type of BT radio or radio related issue.

Hi mwalsh, I'm also having a problem with my phone! So don't get what I have, the LG kp500! It connects, disconnects, re-connects, connects again, etc., repeatedly, every minute or two. I've changes settings on my phone (adjusted sleep mode, lock mode, etc.) and just can't get it to work. The car BT system works through my phone for phone calls, but otherwise, it is tough to bear. I've resorted to just turning off my phone!

What kind of phone does your wife use? Is it also on the T-Mobile network?

Ohmie said:
What kind of phone does your wife use? Is it also on the T-Mobile network?

No, she's a Virgin, and her phone is the Samsung Mantra.

I'm thinking of popping next door (Best Buy) and buying a Samsung T249 quad-band (which I need for my trips back to Europe). It's only like $50 for one locked to T-Mobile, but the unlock code shouldn't be too expensive or hard to come by. I figure if one Samsung works, maybe I'll be lucky and they all will (fingers crossed).

Gary, this will get you there:

https://zeroemission.nissan-carwings.com/aqPortal/content/country/default/jsp/top_post_login.iface

But I don't know what UserID and Password you need, except that it's neither the nissanusa.com user ID and password nor your Carwings ones.

I suspect you have to use the Create Account link. But if you do that, I'd stay away from any ID that you intend to use with your car so that you don't cause yourself any problems down the line.

mwalsh said:
Gary, this will get you there:

https://zeroemission.nissan-carwings.com/aqPortal/content/country/default/jsp/top_post_login.iface
Nice ... but how did Europe already get 229 trees ? ( I assume it's not a "typical" depiction, but actual real-time results being shown on that page. )

BTW: I clicked on Create Account and only Japan is selectable ..

My T-Mobile G2 worked great at the Drive Electric Tour in November here in Portland. I synced it up on the Bluetooth and plugged it into the USB port and rocked out to some streaming audio (Kawaii-Radio for-the-win). Didn't try making a call, but the music sounded awesome!

wonder if BT is mature enough? i had thought it was and have used 5 different ones on various BT enabled cars, but lately my X is giving me troubles.

now, none of it is insurmountable, but the other day, i could not connect to make a call and after 5-6 attempts, i finally gave up, deleted the car profile in the phone and resync'd which worked but has been relatively unreliable ever since.

previous to this, the car connected instantly. now it only auto connects about half the time. i have to manually connect and most of the time it have to try at least twice before it works.

weird. just did android update to 2.3.380 or so that was released by verizon first week of december which is right about the time this started happening. but this is all on the Prius. we c how the Leaf reacts i guess

DarkStar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
wonder if BT is mature enough?
Hmm... Bluetooth has been around since the mid-1990s, so I doubt that it isn't mature enough. The problem is probably with Nissan performing a new implementation with it and Carwings...

i was at intel working the pilot build for the Sony VAIO at their DuPont, WA plant which had one of the first implementations of bluetooth which launched Christmas 1996.

but seems like it still has pairing issues. now this is with my Prius and i suspect that its not BT, its the latest droid SF update... but we shall see. should be getting my Leaf within the next few days (Saturday would be good!!)

Now days nobody ever turns off their phone. I have fixed alot of bluetooth issues with nissans just by turning the phone off then back on. It reboots everything in the phone. Sounds weird but try it.

Back