USB overrides source and starts from first song every time I start the car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm on my 3rd LEAF (2011, 2014, 2017, all leases) and I did have this problem on the first two models. The 2017 (and perhaps 2016 or 2015) have an updated nav screen system that is more responsive but seems to have several bugs.

I have a 64gb USB drive, a tiny one that I leave plugged in all the time to the USB port. I have organized my 4000+ songs into folders of 255 songs each which was required by earlier models (not sure if it matters for the latest one). Neither of the below issues existed in the first two LEAFs, and I'm wondering if anyone has a fix or knows how to overcome these?

1) After starting the vehicle, the "last used source" (e.g. FM Radio) is active, however after a few seconds for systems to load, the source automatically switches over to the USB drive. I'd like to NOT have it auto-switch, and remain on whatever the previously used source happened to be.

2) It seems the most of the time, although not always, when starting the vehicle and loading USB input, it resets to be playing song 1 in folder 1, rather than where it previously left off. Also, if I had it on shuffle mode, that resets as well to be playing in-order. The reset of shuffle doesnt' bother me so much, as I loaded the songs intentionally in random order onto the USB drive, but if it always resets to the first song every time then I was hoping that the "shuffle all" would help circumvent that annoyance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'd even be willing to buy an old ipod or something if I was assured it would help.

No help, here, I'm afraid. I have a similar problem.

Whenever I plug in my iPhone to the USB socket, the Music app fires up automatically and starts playing the first song in my library. I'm SO SICK of those opening chords, I'm ready to smash something.

If I've been playing the iPhone music on "shuffle," it does pick up a different tune, but I rarely use "shuffle."

If I could only disable to automatic booting up of the Music app, I'd be happy!

iPhone 6+ running 10.2.1 if anyone has info.

blorg said:
I'm on my 3rd LEAF (2011, 2014, 2017, all leases) and I did have this problem on the first two models. The 2017 (and perhaps 2016 or 2015) have an updated nav screen system that is more responsive but seems to have several bugs.

I have a 64gb USB drive, a tiny one that I leave plugged in all the time to the USB port. I have organized my 4000+ songs into folders of 255 songs each which was required by earlier models (not sure if it matters for the latest one). Neither of the below issues existed in the first two LEAFs, and I'm wondering if anyone has a fix or knows how to overcome these?

1) After starting the vehicle, the "last used source" (e.g. FM Radio) is active, however after a few seconds for systems to load, the source automatically switches over to the USB drive. I'd like to NOT have it auto-switch, and remain on whatever the previously used source happened to be.

2) It seems the most of the time, although not always, when starting the vehicle and loading USB input, it resets to be playing song 1 in folder 1, rather than where it previously left off. Also, if I had it on shuffle mode, that resets as well to be playing in-order. The reset of shuffle doesnt' bother me so much, as I loaded the songs intentionally in random order onto the USB drive, but if it always resets to the first song every time then I was hoping that the "shuffle all" would help circumvent that annoyance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'd even be willing to buy an old ipod or something if I was assured it would help.
I push the back button probably 20 times then use the screen button after that to reduce wear. (it will go back 20 songs)
+1 its ludicrous :roll:

Only push the thumb drive in all the way when you want to use it, and pull it back out slightly when you turn the car off. I had one sitting like that for two years, and it never caused a problem.

It drives me crazy every day, the same opening part to the same song, every time I start my car. It's obvious that the engineers who designed the Leaf audio system never actually USED it.

Durandal said:
It drives me crazy every day, the same opening part to the same song, every time I start my car. It's obvious that the engineers who designed the Leaf audio system never actually USED it.
A simple folder changing option would be adequate .

I have the same complaint. I want to charge my phone while I drive, but I might be listening to the radio.

One solution, for about 10 bucks you can get a twin USB port to put into the 12 volt outlet.

This frustrated the hell out of me too. I have seen this problem posted on other forum sites -- with no solution offered. I even sent email to Nissan tech support asking if there was a solution. They emailed back and told to ask my local Nissan dealer. Thanks Nissan! Anyway, on to the fix. It's simple. Just press PAUSE on the touchscreen before you change sources or turn off the car. The audio player will come back to the paused point the next time you start the car or switch back to the USB source. Hopefully, this works for everybody else. If it does, pass the word on.

Richard

Yes, this is an interesting bug indeed. But I have found a work-around, as well as some more details about the circumstances under which this actually occurs. I had a 2011 Leaf up until a few months ago, which never had this problem, and recently upgraded to a 2017 Leaf. After reading the previous comments, I did some experimenting and tried some of the suggestions from previous posts.

First of all, pushing pause does nothing, at least for me. But I discovered, as perhaps some of you have found, that this problem does not happen ALL of the time, just usually. So I started trying different things, and figured out that it ONLY happens when you start driving before the infotainment system has completely booted. More specifically, it only happens if you start moving AND turn the steering wheel a certain amount.

So, of course, the workaround is to wait 20 seconds after pushing start before you drive away. I've found that the time to wait is pretty much EXACTLY 20 seconds, which is about at the point at which the phone connection message goes off.

So it would seem that this bug is triggered by some sort of electrical short caused by steering-while-driving-while-booting. Mind you, this problem is NOT triggered by simply turning the steering wheel, nor by simply driving directly forward or backward, but ONLY when you are both driving AND turning the steering wheel. I'm going to mention this to the mechanic at my Nissan dealership, but I seriously doubt that anyone will be able to do anything about this. So for now, I for one will be waiting 20 seconds after pushing start before I start driving.

Thank you for posting your solutions! This was seriously starting to drive me crazy.

I've had my Leaf for a couple of months since moving about 40km (25 miles) outside the city. I started copying the mp3 tracks from training videos to a memory stick and listening to them on my commute of about 30 minutes. It seemed completely random to me that some days it would resume and other days (or even the same day) it would start at folder 1, track 1.

The worst part is that because they are so long, several hours in some cases, fast-forwarding through the track to get back to my spot was not really an option. I wish there was a better fast-forward option, like touching the screen at the point in the track where you left off and then fine tuning with the steering wheel lever.

I will be waiting 20 seconds from now on!

This is my number one pet peeve with the Leaf. No sooner do I get my iphone plugged in than the Cinncinatti Pops version of the A-B-C song (I am a Children’s Librarian and I liked that song rill I heard it every single time I start my car). Then there is the fact that the font and labels for the songs and podcast folders are so small that my large fingers seem to miss my choices and choose the one before or after. Meaning you can’t even use it while driving without crashing the car and somehow that dammed A-B-C song starts up again.
Before I bought the car I knew I wuoldn’t be getting CarPlay but I didn’t think it would be so bad but it re@lly is driving me crazy and leaving me a little bitter and wishing I had a 2018 instead of a. 2018 or that I had bought an e-golf or something else. But the Leaf does everything else well especially the electric part of being an electric car.
My work around is to set everything up on my phone before I put the car In gear and then stay with whatever i’ve chosen till I get to my destination.

McGyver2020 said:
I've found that the time to wait is pretty much EXACTLY 20 seconds, which is about at the point at which the phone connection message goes off.
I was getting tired of those random resets, but never looked into it. Now we know the work around, thanks to you!

The 20-second wait strategy doesn't work. Sometimes I wait the 20 seconds, it looks like the USB is loading and then it flashes a message to the effect that "no USB device fount". Then, a couple of seconds later it starts to load again and goes to track 1 of folder 1. But it's even worse than that: I tried to avoid the problem by turning off the sound when I stop the car and then starting it up again when after I've returned to the car and started driving. That doesn't work either: On two occasions, the sound system came on by itself and, you guessed it, it started playing track 1 on folder 1.

I took it to the dealer service department and the guy there had no clue.

My best guess is that it's some sort of adverse interaction between the blue-tooth connection and the loading of the USB player. The one seems to interfere with the other because the rewind always seems to happen right after the blue-tooth has finished connecting. I'm going to have to test this hypothesis by turning off my phone before I get into the car.

Does anyone out there have any further information about his annoying bug? Has Nissan been made aware of it? Do we know whether it applies to all units or only some selected ones? I'm inclined to press Nissan to replace mine under warranty.

Back