Display Unit (Radio) Swap 2016 / 2015 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRC

I'm considering switching out the current display unit (radio) in my 2015 Leaf S, which I believe is a: Nissan 281853nf0b with a: Nissan 28185-9MB0A, which is found in the 2016 Leaf S. Because it's essentially a Leaf S 2015 unit for a Leaf S 2016 unit, I'm thinking that I wouldn't lose any functionality (like steering wheel controls or back-up camera), but gain bluetooth streaming audio and a larger screen.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What don't I know?

Please let me know if you have any thoughts.

Yes, for whatever reason the 2015 S only has bluetooth phone and the 2016 S has bluetooth phone & streaming audio. That's why I'm super interested to see if anyone know anything about swapping out the display units. You can pick up a 2016 Leaf S display unit for around $80 on eBay, and it seems like it would be worth it.

Make sure that you get the anti-theft code for the replacment headunit. These radio are designed to only work in the vehicle in which they are have been installed with the security code.

Are you thinking it's a pretty simple swap? Is there anything else I should lookout for?

On some cars that use the CAN bus to communicate between the headunit and the steeringwheel controls, backup cameras etc. that may need to be programmed using a Consult console, but then again, it might just be plug and play.

My experience is with VW/Contential headunits, and it needed to be set up.

Not sure with the Clarion radios. Goggle on installing Clarion Headunit [model number here]

I'd be very interested if this is possible as well. I just purchased a 2015 S and would like the newer radio with audio streaming. I do not think it is plug and play since I compared the pictures of the 2015 and 2016 units and the plugs on the back are not all the same, so there may be some differences that need to be taken into account with the wiring.

hahaha i just completed this very thing and wrote a lot of words about it
read here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23887

Back