ipod trouble

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prberg

I had a question about the music system and using an ipod. Since using a USB thumb drive is not the best (since you can't really sort your music very well) I was looking into using an ipod since you can pull up your music by artist, genre, song, etc. I plugged in my friends iphone and it worked great.

I recently tried an older ipod and it did not work at all. In the audio manual it says under 'Compatibility' that the 'ipod Classic' should work. I tried an older 20GB ipod classic and the system will not recognize it. Anybody know why? Do I have to buy an iphone or ipod touch? Do the older models not work?

thanks,
Peter

When the original style iPod with hard drive based storage reached its sixth generation, it was renamed the "iPod Classic." The iPod 20 GB was at least 3-5 years older when the iPod Classic was first introduced in 2007. The iPod 20 GB is not the same as the iPod Classic.

Thanks for the ipod clarification. I don't know ipods that well so that helps to understand the generations. So we would want a 5th or 6th generation ipod for the LEAF (or a Nano, touch, or iphone). thanks.

The only way I've found to play older iPods is if the car has a 1/8 inch jack so you can use the headphone output to the car input. You have to control everything from the iPod with these. It sounds like the Leaf is the same.

evnow said:
Can't old ipods be firmware updated ?

Yes, but only to a point. There are features in the newest iPods/iPhones (like Bluetooth pairing) that will never be part of the old firmware loads--the hardware just wouldn't support it.

Just found this thread....I'm so disappointed to hear y'all think my iPod classic will be of no use in the car. Right now I use it through a tape interface, and I hate having to use the iPods controls. It's dangerous! I thought I'd be using LEAF controls soon. :(

Is there no hope other than to up date my technology?

LindaK said:
Just found this thread....I'm so disappointed to hear y'all think my iPod classic will be of no use in the car.
Checkout my reply to you in the other thread.

Back