DeudeMann
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2017

Going for a full Bosectomy - SUCCESS! (custom speaker/amp/DSP install)

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:14 pm

So I am revising this thread to make it less of a questions asked and more of a here is what I am doing post.

Right now I am gathering all of the components that I need for a complete Bosectomy of the stock Bose stereo that came with my 2015 Nissan Leaf. The Bose system is OK, but certainly not great, and I know from past stereo installations I have done before that it can sound MUCH better without spending lots of money.

Here are the plans for the system:

- Subwoofer build already completed, details here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24187

- I am going to use the stock head unit so I can retain all of the stock functionality. The Bose amplifier will not be used at all.

- For signal processing (active crossovers, parametric EQ, time alignment, etc.) I am going to use a MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8. This is a great unit for the price and is well regarded in the car audio forums. It also has differential inputs so the output of the stock head unit can be connected directly to the C-DSP. It has six inputs so I will even be able to retain the fader if I chose to.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-audio-dsp/c-dsp-6x8

- For the front door speakers I will be installing Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6.5" woofers to use as midbass speakers, from ~80Hz to ~250Hz.
For those not familiar with Tang Band, they make lots of drivers for DIY speaker builds, including some very nice stuff on the smaller end of the woofer scale. This little beast has a low Q for infinite baffle installation (in a door) and 11.5mm of xmax, all for $50.
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w6-1139sif-6-1-2-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-919

- For the upper front speakers, I am going to mount some 3.5" coax drivers in pods at the a-pillars. Right now I plan on using Pioneer TS-A878 speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A878-Inch-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B00009QOTA

- The subwoofer amplifier is one of these, a Power Akoustic Class-D monoblock which is a little beast that fits in a small space.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-RZ1-2300D-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B0072L7Y4A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500427424&sr=1-2&keywords=power+acoustic+monoblock+amp

- The door speakers and a-pillar pods will be powered by a Precision Power 900.4 which is a Class-D 4-channel amplifier, which also fits in a small space.
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Power-P900-4-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B005KVEPVO

Subwoofer build, about $60 in speakers and $60-$80 in building supplies
Door speakers, about $100
A-pillar speakers, about $50
Front stage amp, about $170
Subwoofer amp, about $105.
Stiffening capacitor, about $35.
Misc. wires, connectors, fuse blocks, what nots, about $50.

So, that comes to about $650 in parts, well under $1000, which I would therefore call a 'budget' build. And though most everyone here will not be able to hear it in person, believe me, it is going to sound really, really good when it is built and tuned.

The basic layout is this:
- Stock HU outputs (LF, RF) will be input directly into the C-DSP 6x8, which has differential inputs.
- Stock HU outputs (LR, RR) will be run directly to the rear door speakers, bypassing the Bose amp.
- The C-DSP 6x8 will have five outputs: FL door, FR door, FL a-pillar, FR a-pillar, subwoofer.
- The four front speaker line outputs from the DSP will go into the 4-channel amplifier, then the outputs are wired to each speaker set.
- The subwoofer line outout will be routed to the monoblock amp and then wired directly to the subwoofer.
Last edited by DeudeMann on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
How do I turn up the boost on this thing?

DeudeMann

Re: Replacement door speakers for Bose system?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:03 am

So I found a little more information on the Bose amplifier. It looks like it is located in the right rear hatchback area behind one of the panels. The part number is 280603NF0A. Using that number i found some images of the amplifier, including the connectors:

https://goo.gl/photos/9oJLMWRoRAkLY3qC7

Due to the number of connectors it looks like this is for all of the speakers in the system. This is potentially very useful since if there is a straightforward way to connect the inputs into the Bose amp into a standard aftermarket amp, then the amp could be placed in the trunk region, the door speakers could be replaced with something more standard, and BAM, bye-bye Bose.

It is my understanding that there is nothing different about the Nissan head unit for the Bose system, and that the amp and the speakers are the real differences.

kikbuti
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 311978

Re: Going for a full Bosectomy (renamed)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:47 pm

I have not replaced any of the Bose components in my 2016 Nissan Leaf SL, but I am looking into it. I found wiring diagrams and more information for a 2014 Leaf with Bose on this site: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Leaf/2014%20Leaf/av.pdf.

and yes, apparently the head unit sends front and rear left and right pre-amp signals to the Bose amplifier in the right rear cargo area. The Bose amp and processor sends high, mid and low frequencies to the front and rear speakers, high signals to the tweeters and low frequencies to the subwoofer.

Choices are to take low frequencies from Bose amp to a replacement powered subwoofer and leave the rest alone. Or use the pre-amp signals from the head unit and replace the Bose amp with aftermarket amplification and signal processing. Install the speakers of your choice.

But I don't want to spend 3 grand. Wah! :cry:
2013 Cayenne Red Leaf SL ordered April 3rd Delivered April 17, 2013 2-yr lease ended

2016 Pearl White Leaf SL Premium April 14, 2017
Siemens VersiCharge 240V 30A EVSE

2017 Volvo XC60 Inscription

DeudeMann

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Oh man thanks for linking to that PDF! I tried to grab that off of the nismo site last week and could not get to it for some strange reason.

So it is all right there in that PDF, pages AV-387 through AV-389. It shows the four inputs into the Bose amp (LF, RF, LR, RR) and where they are on the connector. So, that solves that problem of how to connect in pre-amp.

From what I have been reading, the inputs into the Bose amp are differential balanced inputs, so they are a bit different than a standard unbalanced line out (like the typical RCA) or a high-level out. It seems that the best way to deal with this is to use something like an AudioControl DQ-61 ( http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/dq-61/ ) which can accept differential balanced inputs. Then, the output from that is sent via standard RCA unbalanced outputs to whatever amp combo you want to use. The Bose amp would be bypassed completely, and with it, all of the Bose equalization and base limiting behavior.

The nice thing about the AudioControl DQ-61 is that it also includes 14 bands of equalization, and time alignment, all for less than $300 if you shop around. So, conceivably, it would be possible to build a very decent system for less than $1000. The DQ-61 is not remotely adjustable, but controlled by dials on the box. This is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

kikbuti
Forum Supporter

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:53 pm

The Audio Control DQ-61 should work well if you use the front and rear, left and right pre-amp outputs from the head unit. You should be able to tap them from the inputs on the Bose amp. The Bose amp has 7 channels of output which is one more than the DQ-61 accepts. Alternatively, you could go with the JL Audio Fix 86 with 8 inputs. List price is $20 less than the DQ-61, but street price is rarely discounted. They both have similar features, but equalization on the Fix 86 is done via your PC or laptop.

I'm still on the fence. I'm not a Bose basher wanting to tout my expertise in sound. I do appreciate quality reproduction of the soundstage and have built award winning systems back in the day. Bose Audio for autos are good for mass market better than standard audio sound. Still, I sometimes cringe when the mids come through muddy or the bass booms on a favorite song. A powered sub would solve some of the problem, but those front speakers have to go too. The only compatible 2-ohm component replacement speakers I found were Focal ES 165K2 for about a grand. For that money, you could buy a five channel amplifier, replace all speakers including the subwoofer and the DQ-61 or Fix 86... but then there's installation. I'm a senior citizen. I'm not crawling around in the car to install a sound system. So I have to figure another $500 for installation.

The Bose system is starting to sound better. :?
2013 Cayenne Red Leaf SL ordered April 3rd Delivered April 17, 2013 2-yr lease ended

DeudeMann

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I've been heavily researching DSP units since I have not shopped for them in a long time. The ones I really want that have 8 channels (like you mentioned) are $500 and up, more than I really want to spend.

Though... It looks like the TWK-88 might be a better option than the Fix since input corrections are not needed pre-Bose-amp. Much more processing power on the output side.

Or maybe even better... Gets good reviews.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/car-au ... /c-dsp-6x8

There are some other 2-ohm speakers out there with good efficiency, like the Infinity Kappas or the JBLs I am going to install in the front doors/a-pillars within the next few days. I'll report in on how they do with the Bose amp since that is how I will be running them for starters.

kikbuti
Forum Supporter

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm really hating on you, now DeudeMann. You just couldn't let sleeping dogs lie, could you. Now I can't stop thinking about upgrading my Leaf Bose audio. This is going to cost me a couple grand, I'm so very sure. Here's my wishlist:

1. Focal BombA BP20 Powered Subwoofer - I already test fitted. Perfect for Bose sub replacement. Bandpass with 150-watt amp... should be enough thump.
2. JL Audio FiX 86 Sound processor. Automatic time alignment, channel summing, and equalization with 10-channel graphic EQ on front and rear channels
3. JL Audio JX 400/4D 4-channel ammplifier - 70 RMS x 4
4. Focal RSE-165 Auditor Series 6 3/4" component speakers front
5. Focal RCX-165 Audior Series 6 3/4" 2-way speakers
6. Dynamat
7. Installation because I am now a senior citizen who won't crawl around in my car.

I could get off easy for about $1500, but more likely, it will be closer to $2G.

Thanks a lot, DeudeMann. :x

DeudeMann

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:44 am

The fault dear Brutus lies not in our forums, but in ourselves. :D

I already have the amp and speakers I need, so if I forego the rear door speakers for now, all I need is the DSP. It would be a relatively cheap upgrade that would have a huge impact on the SQ.

So why get the JL Fix and not the JL Twk? From what I have read if you tap into the stock system pre-Bose amp, there is nothing to correct, so the Twk is a better option. The Fix from what I can tell only corrects the inputs and is more appropriate if you are using it post-Bose amp. You would still need a Twk (or some other DSP) to get all of the output tuning required to get the system dialed-in on EQ and TA (delay).

kikbuti
Forum Supporter

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 am

I think you're right DeudeMann. For processing, TwK88 would be the best option. I am anxious to see your results. I believe that much of my issues with my sound system could be corrected with sound deadening. I get too much unclear midbass vibration from the front speaker area on many songs. I just didn't want to tear down everything to install Dynamat and have to do it over again to install new speakers.

DeudeMann

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:12 am

So I have ordered the C-DSP 6X8 processor and am working on something different for the above dash speakers (front sound stage). More details coming once I have some more work completed.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”