be236
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 309258
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: USB drive organization

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:13 pm

Stanton wrote:
be236 wrote:I might have missed this point.. but what disk file system format does LEAF read from USB hard drive? NTFS? FAT32?

Then I just format that for my USB drive and copy in MP3 files to use?


FAT32. You may need to do some file name editing if you want a certain order (mentioned above), but that's basically it. I typically group things by folder...which are also read in alphabetical order.


Ok, I got this to work with a 4GB flash USB drive formatted to FAT32 (it's not documented in owner's manual about file system format)...

So, does USB port work with portable USB hard drives too (eg, 120GB HD formatted FAT32 with tons of MP3 files)? Or is there not enough USB power to power the hard drive?
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2096
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: USB drive organization

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:57 am

be236 wrote:Ok, I got this to work with a 4GB flash USB drive formatted to FAT32 (it's not documented in owner's manual about file system format)...

So, does USB port work with portable USB hard drives too (eg, 120GB HD formatted FAT32 with tons of MP3 files)? Or is there not enough USB power to power the hard drive?


No: not enough power to "spin it up". I've seen similar problems with things like home stereo AVR's (you have to use flash drives).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

wang520yan
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2005

Re: USB drive organization

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:41 pm

FAT32 is great for a smaller drive or USB stick. However, there are some important limitations which mean that it’s not always the best answer.
The volume has to be smaller than 2TB. If your drive is larger, e.g. 3TB, it will need to be split into two volumes before the full size can be accessed.
Files on the drive can only be 2GB or smaller. (Hence, large video files or databases are a problem.)
It is the least fault tolerant of these file systems, so not a great option for storing important data over a longer term.
FAT32 is not open source (if that matters to you).
exFAT is made for external drives, just like FAT32. It’s a newer standard, so it’s not as widely compatible, and it’s also Microsoft proprietary. However, it can deal with volumes bigger than 4GB and files sizes larger than 2GB.
So maybe formatting the usb to exfat is better.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4881
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: USB drive organization

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:30 am

Stanton wrote:
be236 wrote:Ok, I got this to work with a 4GB flash USB drive formatted to FAT32 (it's not documented in owner's manual about file system format)...

So, does USB port work with portable USB hard drives too (eg, 120GB HD formatted FAT32 with tons of MP3 files)? Or is there not enough USB power to power the hard drive?


No: not enough power to "spin it up". I've seen similar problems with things like home stereo AVR's (you have to use flash drives).


I imagine you could use a powered USB hub, if you were so inclined.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

be236
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 309258
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: USB drive organization

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 pm

Nubo wrote:
Stanton wrote:
be236 wrote:Ok, I got this to work with a 4GB flash USB drive formatted to FAT32 (it's not documented in owner's manual about file system format)...

So, does USB port work with portable USB hard drives too (eg, 120GB HD formatted FAT32 with tons of MP3 files)? Or is there not enough USB power to power the hard drive?


No: not enough power to "spin it up". I've seen similar problems with things like home stereo AVR's (you have to use flash drives).


I imagine you could use a powered USB hub, if you were so inclined.


So you'd have to get power from the 12v outlet under the center console?
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2096
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: USB drive organization

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:52 am

be236 wrote:
Nubo wrote:
Stanton wrote:
No: not enough power to "spin it up". I've seen similar problems with things like home stereo AVR's (you have to use flash drives).


I imagine you could use a powered USB hub, if you were so inclined.


So you'd have to get power from the 12v outlet under the center console?


Yes...but when you can get USB flash drives up to 256Gig, I wouldn't mess with external power (or subject HDD to the temp extremes of vehicles). Now, if you need something like 1 or 2 TB (which I use in my home system), that's a different story.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: USB drive organization

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:49 am

be236 wrote:I might have missed this point.. but what disk file system format does LEAF read from USB hard drive? NTFS? FAT32?
At this point it might be fair to ask if the 2018 is different than the older ones.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 33K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 27K mi
3 reservation canceled; X on order.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”