prberg
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

USB drive organization

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Wanted to discuss the USB drive audio functionality. I know it was touched on in the thread in the main category, but this seemed like an appropriate place.

I am still trying to get my USB drive organized so it's easy to access the music in the LEAF. Since the LEAF doesn't have any sort of sorting options for the music, it makes it tough to find the music you want to listen to. If you just want to shuffle all your music it works great, but to find something specific is difficult.

I have been trying to use some of the MP3 organizing software to move the songs around into folders which are more clearly labeled (the LEAF will just display the folder in which the music is in (usually the album name folder)). My issue is that sometimes there are random artists in my list. I found that they are usually from compilation cd's. I did set in itunes that compilation setting, but the MP3 programs seem to be having some trouble getting the music organized without having all these 'orphan' artist folders.

I am thinking about just copying the music manually. But I'm afraid that it might take a long time to make all the new folders. My thought is to have folders that are "Artist - Album name". That way I can sort by artist (which I think is the way that I most often search by).

Just curious if anyone had any tips about getting our music better organized for the LEAF. I've asked Nissan to improve the USB drive functionality, but I have no idea if they will do that, or offer that improved software to us with 2011 LEAF's.

thanks,
Peter

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Re: USB drive organization

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:56 pm

I've a lot of compilations too.

If I decide to use USB sticks with Leaf - I'll rename all album directories to albumartist-album (yes - albumartist could be different from artist). I use "various" as the albumartist for all compilations.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Bottom line for almost all "USB music storage" readers (cars, clock radios, etc.): once you get beyond a couple albums worth of songs, it becomes difficult to manage. You're better off using an iPod (especially since the Leaf appears to interface well) or some other "cheap" MP3 player to manage the music.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

turbo2ltr
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm

I've always organized my music in folders.. Artist->album->songs. Oddly enough, I always use "shuffle all" so I *very* rarely have a need to find anything specific.

What I did notice, much to my dismay, is that if I skip a track with the steering wheel controls while in the shuffle all mode, it skips to the next track in the folder that contains the currently playing song, not the next random song. I consider this a bug.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

tps
Delivery Date: 07 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 18044

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:46 am

turbo2ltr wrote:I've always organized my music in folders.. Artist->album->songs. Oddly enough, I always use "shuffle all" so I *very* rarely have a need to find anything specific.

What I did notice, much to my dismay, is that if I skip a track with the steering wheel controls while in the shuffle all mode, it skips to the next track in the folder that contains the currently playing song, not the next random song. I consider this a bug.

Yep, I also would consider that a bug. When in shuffle mode, my Sony players create a random playlist when you start them in shuffle mode and the forward/back buttons navigate the shuffled list. So if I go back 3 songs, I once again hear the song I heard 3 songs ago. (Unless I go back past song 1, where it wraps to to the last song. I think Sony re-shuffles each time you cross the wrap-around boundry.)

My plan is to use a 32GB USB stick with over 2000 tracks, maybe as many as 5000 played in shuffle all mode. It would be nice if I could make it all the way through every track on the USB stick before it re-shuffled. I've divvyed the tracks into a bunch of subdirectories to avoid the 255 track limit

It would be nice if the LEAF worked this way. IMHO, the LEAF should re-shuffle when:
1. The USB stick is inserted.
2. When crossing the wrap-around boundry between the last song and track 1.
3. A different shuffle or play mode is selected.

It should NOT re-shuffle when:
1. The LEAF is turned on or off.
2. The audio system is turned off.
3. USB is re-selected after playing a different audio source, especcially the radio or satellite radio, but maybe CD also.
In these situations, the LEAF should remember its current shuffle order and position in that order. It would be nice it is also remembered it's position within the track so it continued playing where it left off.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:50 am

All this means that Leaf doesn't use the media portion of Windows Automotive. May be they will have time to incorporate that in MY2012.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't use shuffle, I play albums in song order.

For my USB stick, I build folders that are titled with the Artist and Album name (Steely Dan - Aja). At first I tried putting all songs from one artist in one folder, but that requires a lot of advancing to get to the 3rd album, etc.

My current 16GB stick is half full and has 65 folders or albums of 256 kb mp3s. The car recognizes all the folders and songs, so I haven't hit any limits yet.

One anomaly: I use the track advance button to the right of the NAV screen (down press = advance forward) rather than the track advance button on the steering wheel. This is because if I use the one on the steering wheel, it changes the display and shows the short file names for the tracks. I like the "regular" audio display that you get when you press the CD Aux button near the NAV screen that shows Artist, Album, Song and time information, as well as the other folders you can switch to.

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:47 pm

My music is a combination of .wav,.wma, and .mp3 files. Does it handle all 3 of these?

turbo2ltr
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 185

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:20 pm

BTW, I plugged a portable hard drive into the USB port, and it worked. It took a few seconds saying "scanning files" or something like that. This particular hard drive I know does NOT work in my other radio without external power, but the LEAF powered it just fine without any external power.
Silver SL-e
Ford F450 Crew Cab Hybrid Conversion

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:49 pm

What brand, model, and size, please?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S