display my iphone nav on panel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalewz

Hi,

I just bought a 2017 model s. I am wondering if i can display my iphone map navigation on the leaf panel?

before i bought it, I heard i can. but i do not know how.

thanks,
dale

This is my main complaint.
Without Apple Carplay or Android Auto I do not think there is a way to do that. The 2018 Leaf will come with Carplay/Auto but the 2017 and below do not have it. There also does nit seem to be an easy way to upgrade with an after market system as everything is so embedded with other parts of the car. I am hoping maybe Nissan will offer some sort of upgrade option but I am not sure they have a motivation to do that other than good customer service.
Other than that the best solution is to mount your phone to the dashboard but that seems inelegant.

There is a forum thread of using Google Maps with the Nav system. It's not the same as having your phone's display though. Carwings is the old name for NissanConnect.
It seems very complicated however.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=3370

Coollibrariandude said:
There is a forum thread of using Google Maps with the Nav system. It's not the same as having your phone's display though. Carwings is the old name for NissanConnect.
It seems very complicated however.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=3370
I used that a few times long ago, just to try it. It works but it's not worth the effort, IMHO. If I created a poll here, I suspect the usage of that feature is very low.

I don't even know if it still works.

And, the above is useless for the OP's S trim, which doesn't even have a TCU, so no cellular radio.

Coollibrariandude said:
Which is why Nissan needs to call it a day and just give everybody CarPlay.
As you stated, CarPlay and Android Auto are being made available on the '18 Leaf.

It is fairly rare for automakers to provide either of the above on existing cars which didn't ship with it. A few did provide one or the other or possibly both, but the original hardware was designed to meet CarPlay/Android Auto requirements. The head units in many older Leafs likely isn't anywhere near meeting them.

There are aftermarket car stereos w/them...

There actually aren't any aftermarket stereos with Carplay that are compatible with the Leaf -- at least according to the Crutchfield website.

Coollibrariandude said:
There actually aren't any aftermarket stereos with Carplay that are compatible with the Leaf -- at least according to the Crutchfield website.
On Crutchfield, I selected 2013 Leaf without Bose and without nav system, which would be S trim then selected CarPlay on the left. I was left with 42 head units.

I changed it to 2017 Leaf w/the same criteria and still had 42 units.

So the OP could maybe upgrade although they would apparently lose the backup camera, USB connector, auxiluary connector and bluetooth although presumably bluetooth would come with the new unit being installed.
But when I did it for my SL with Bose and Navigation I got this message:

"We don't recommend replacing the radio in your vehicle.
None of these items fits your Leaf."

I must say, having upgraded from a 2002 Subaru that was on it's last legs, the all around cameras are one of my favorite parts of my new car. I would hate to lose those.

Back