Car phonebook only good for 5 numbers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Went to copy my phone's phonebook into the car today, but ran into problems so had to try entering them manually. Surprisingly, the car's phonebook is only good for 5 entries. Thank heavens I don't have any friends and a small family! Only enough space for our home number, the office's number, my wife's cell phone number, and the cell phone numbers for each of her daughters! :?

Only entries for 5 phone numbers is not very good!

However, there is apparently room for 300 entries from a cell phone, right?

Maybe Nissan will change the # of LEAF numbers to 50 entries?

Edited to correct numbers.

The command right after "vehicle phone book" is "handset phone book", I have access to everyone on my bluetooth enabled phone by voice command. You say Chris, and Chris's number comes up, you say dial and it dials Chris. I put my most used numbers in the 5 and I have access to over 150 others with just saying their name. Nice

Problem is it can only load 300 numbers from the handset, then it says memory full. So I can only call people whose name starts with with the first so many letters of the alphabet.I wonder if itis possible to extend the memory somehow.

hobbyguy said:
The command right after "vehicle phone book" is "handset phone book", I have access to everyone on my bluetooth enabled phone by voice command.

You still need to download the handset phonebook to the LEAF though, right? I had problems with that - when I went to enter the PIN on the handset, my BT connection was getting dropped.

what kind of phone? many had the same issues with phone book on 2010 Prius. it took less than a minute on the Prius and the Leaf for me. so i think it has a lot to do with how the phone handles bluetooth

i am using Droid X. on the Prius i uploaded the X, Env Touch, Palm Centro, LG Voyager and Blackberry storm, all of which were "nearly" effortless. the Palm it took me forever to navigate the setup and we had no manual (it came with one but we never read them) but as soon as i found the menu options it was pretty straight forward

So the car can use voice commands to dial the phone? I did not know that, I so want my car now.

Do you have to program you voice in like learn mode?

Gonewild said:
So the car can use voice commands to dial the phone? I did not know that, I so want my car now.

Do you have to program you voice in like learn mode?

nope, thanks to Google, MS and others, training is rarely needed for modern voice recognition systems.

Google 411 was a free directory assistance service offered up until a few months ago. it was all voice recognition and Google engineers collected the data as a way to have millions of voice samples to make their voice recognition work better.

mwalsh said:
You still need to download the handset phonebook to the LEAF though, right? I had problems with that - when I went to enter the PIN on the handset, my BT connection was getting dropped.
For BT to work well we need the car & the cellphone to work together correctly. The technology hasn't matured enough to make it work seemlessly in all pairings (remember all those HDMI handshake issues early on ?).

Lol this will seem funny but can pair 5 phones. We have 2 paired with no issues. So I guess that is one speed dial entry per phone

Yes, Gary. Monika and I uploaded our droid cell phone contact lists to the LEAF. Good news is that I don't have to wade through her hundreds of contacts, and she doesn't have to look at mine. The directory shown depends on which phone is paired at that time. Dunno what would happen if both phones were in the car with BT turned on. Mine's usually off, and I can see the car pair with Monika's phone as I drive past her at the gate on the way to work.

Supports 5 phones, with seperate "contact" lists for each phone.
Voice dialing by name (or number, I presume).
Very nice.

If two phones have BT on, presumably the LEAF links to the first one on the list of phones, not both?

No way the phonebook is limited to only 5 numbers. There must be some mistake. Or perhaps some software glitch you've encountered.

Nissan has different protocols with their vehicles, so unsure about LEAF. Typically, you don't need to download anything from your phone to the car. It "reads" the contact list in your phone. I haven't had a chance to play with the LEAF system yet, so I can't verify that for sure. You might try http://www.nissanusa.com/bluetooth periodically. Nothing up yet on LEAF, but there may be soon.

OK, just went into phone on the car, here is what happens:
press the phone symbol on the steering wheels, a voice comes on and says "would you like phone or navigation" you say phone, then 5 items come up on the screen and the voice says "would you like to Dial a number, vehicle phone book, hanset phone book, call history or international call?"
You say vehicle phone book, it says "vehicle phone book, please say a number from one of the listed numbers" The 5 stored numbers come up. You then just say one, two , three four or five and it dials that number.
If there were more than 5 it would be hard to look at the screen and scroll down so you could call number 25 on the list. With 5 , you just glance for a second as you say "two" or "three" etc.
I went into phone settings and there are only 5 for that screen, when you press "add new" it is a frozen tab since I already have my 5 most called numbers there.

Mine reads exactly like this:
Vehicle Phone book
1. Home
2. Jimmy
3. Mary
4. Annika
5. Mike
I have used this feature many times while driving, but once in awhile I have used the handset phonebook.
It is easy too, you just say Billy and Billy comes up on the screen along with 4 other possibilities in case it did not recognize your voice command correctly ( I find that the turn signal noise messes up the commands most of the time)

johnr said:
No way the phonebook is limited to only 5 numbers. There must be some mistake. Or perhaps some software glitch you've encountered.

no not the "phonebook" its the speed dials available which must be manually assigned. this i find a bit weird as my Prius could assign 3 banks of 6 for 18 total.

but then again, it did not assign separate phone books either...i don 't think. actually, other than my phone book, never tried uploading hers...hmmm

Considering I have well over 1,000 in my phone, I wonder what it is going to do...

I've been using a BlueAnt Supertooth 3 in my car and it will hold over 10,000.

garygid said:
Apparently the "Handset phone book" can have 300 numbers.

Back