BradFoxUS
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 018330
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Contact: Facebook Skype Twitter

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Would anyone suggest the Infinity Reference 6032cf from Crutchfield? They claim they don't fit but when I select "See what Fits" it doesn't show anything that has a 2 Ohm impedance. I see that it's recommended to stay as close as possible for the best experience.

cy7878
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:06 am
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2016

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 am

Sorry if I missed this on my search..

I remember reading somewhere that the green straps in the A pillar can be disconnected without cutting. Now for the life of me I can't find that post.

Can someone help?
If I do cut the green strap, is it available for replacement?

Thank you

Chuck

BradFoxUS
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 018330
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Contact: Facebook Skype Twitter

Re: Upgrading Speakers in my Leaf: Phase 1

Sun May 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Randy wrote:So, what did I learn? A lot, actually...

* The Leaf factory speakers are very inexpensive and are worthy of an upgrade.
* The car is so new that there isn't much information on exactly what to order or what will fit.
* I took a chance on the CDT Audio speakers because they had such good reviews, and they ended up fitting just fine.
* I do have to turn up the audio system a notch or two extra to get the same volume as the factory speakers, but the amp drives them fine and they play pretty loud without distortion.
* You need two ohm speakers to be compatible with what was there previously.
* A 10mm socket is needed to remove the 2 screws in the door to get the panel off.
* 3 or 4 of the door clips will remain in the door when you remove the panel. Just pry them carefully out of the door and reinstall them in the door before re-seating.
* The drivers door is the hardest because it has 3 wiring harnesses you have to disconnect to remove the door lock / window / mirror control panel from the door.
* I left the tweeters in place, and the system sounds fine. It seemed like too much work to replace them and the new speakers come with tweeters. The "highs" are not overwhelming.

It was a fun project!!!! Now the audio system sounds a lot better!!!!!

Let's discuss it....Any questions?

Thanks, Randy



I assume the factory HU has plenty of power to push upgraded speakers? I tried this on a 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan and it actually got worse than just using the Honda paper cones. The Honda unit is a 160w unit. Only the coupe has the 320w option. People have said the Sedan 160w system actually sounds better than the premium 320w Coupe unit even though it has a subwoofer. I've had to agree myself.

cy7878
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:06 am
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2016

Re: Upgrading Speakers in my Leaf: Phase 1

Tue May 03, 2016 12:12 pm

BradFoxUS wrote:
Randy wrote:So, what did I learn? A lot, actually...

* The Leaf factory speakers are very inexpensive and are worthy of an upgrade.
* The car is so new that there isn't much information on exactly what to order or what will fit.
* I took a chance on the CDT Audio speakers because they had such good reviews, and they ended up fitting just fine.
* I do have to turn up the audio system a notch or two extra to get the same volume as the factory speakers, but the amp drives them fine and they play pretty loud without distortion.
* You need two ohm speakers to be compatible with what was there previously.
* A 10mm socket is needed to remove the 2 screws in the door to get the panel off.
* 3 or 4 of the door clips will remain in the door when you remove the panel. Just pry them carefully out of the door and reinstall them in the door before re-seating.
* The drivers door is the hardest because it has 3 wiring harnesses you have to disconnect to remove the door lock / window / mirror control panel from the door.
* I left the tweeters in place, and the system sounds fine. It seemed like too much work to replace them and the new speakers come with tweeters. The "highs" are not overwhelming.

It was a fun project!!!! Now the audio system sounds a lot better!!!!!

Let's discuss it....Any questions?

Thanks, Randy



I assume the factory HU has plenty of power to push upgraded speakers? I tried this on a 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan and it actually got worse than just using the Honda paper cones. The Honda unit is a 160w unit. Only the coupe has the 320w option. People have said the Sedan 160w system actually sounds better than the premium 320w Coupe unit even though it has a subwoofer. I've had to agree myself.



The HU doesn't seem to have that much power. I'm half way thru upgrading my stereo and so far have installed a LC6i line converter feeding signal to a JL audio amp. With that wired to factory speakers (speaker is the next half) they already sound better. Just need some free time to get the JL audio speakers into the doors and new tweeters.

aarond12
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:42 am
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Upgrading Speakers in my Leaf: Phase 1

Tue May 03, 2016 12:17 pm

BradFoxUS wrote:I assume the factory HU has plenty of power to push upgraded speakers?

I just put a set of Sony 3-way 4 ohm speakers in my LEAF. The head unit can drive the speakers but without any additional low-end response. I was mainly concerned about highs, so I'm happy with my installation -- I'll be adding a subwoofer later.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

BradFoxUS
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 018330
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Contact: Facebook Skype Twitter

Re: Upgrading Speakers in my Leaf: Phase 1

Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm

aarond12 wrote:
BradFoxUS wrote:I assume the factory HU has plenty of power to push upgraded speakers?

I just put a set of Sony 3-way 4 ohm speakers in my LEAF. The head unit can drive the speakers but without any additional low-end response. I was mainly concerned about highs, so I'm happy with my installation -- I'll be adding a subwoofer later.



Darn, I was hoping to get a little oomph out of mine. The low response is kinda poopy.

BradFoxUS
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 018330
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Contact: Facebook Skype Twitter

Re: Upgrading Speakers in my Leaf: Phase 1

Tue May 17, 2016 5:23 pm

cy7878 wrote:
BradFoxUS wrote:
Randy wrote:So, what did I learn? A lot, actually...

* The Leaf factory speakers are very inexpensive and are worthy of an upgrade.
* The car is so new that there isn't much information on exactly what to order or what will fit.
* I took a chance on the CDT Audio speakers because they had such good reviews, and they ended up fitting just fine.
* I do have to turn up the audio system a notch or two extra to get the same volume as the factory speakers, but the amp drives them fine and they play pretty loud without distortion.
* You need two ohm speakers to be compatible with what was there previously.
* A 10mm socket is needed to remove the 2 screws in the door to get the panel off.
* 3 or 4 of the door clips will remain in the door when you remove the panel. Just pry them carefully out of the door and reinstall them in the door before re-seating.
* The drivers door is the hardest because it has 3 wiring harnesses you have to disconnect to remove the door lock / window / mirror control panel from the door.
* I left the tweeters in place, and the system sounds fine. It seemed like too much work to replace them and the new speakers come with tweeters. The "highs" are not overwhelming.

It was a fun project!!!! Now the audio system sounds a lot better!!!!!

Let's discuss it....Any questions?

Thanks, Randy



I assume the factory HU has plenty of power to push upgraded speakers? I tried this on a 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan and it actually got worse than just using the Honda paper cones. The Honda unit is a 160w unit. Only the coupe has the 320w option. People have said the Sedan 160w system actually sounds better than the premium 320w Coupe unit even though it has a subwoofer. I've had to agree myself.



The HU doesn't seem to have that much power. I'm half way thru upgrading my stereo and so far have installed a LC6i line converter feeding signal to a JL audio amp. With that wired to factory speakers (speaker is the next half) they already sound better. Just need some free time to get the JL audio speakers into the doors and new tweeters.



If there is enough space I wouldn't mind dropping in a small amp for the doors alone.

User avatar
SeattleBlueLeaf
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:34 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0228
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact: WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm rarely ever on here anymore as a early Nissan LEAF owner but today I am back to say thank you to everyone in this thread. After 5 years of LEAF ownership, I finally upgraded the OEM speakers (two were blown awhile back and sounded like cr*p). I upgraded to Infinity Kappa 52.11c's in the front and back. - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1085211I/I ... tml?tp=105 .

I had recently had the front door window blown out by an attempted someone breaking into the car (they didn't steal anything) and the guy that replaced the window left a bunch of broken glass in the door. Yeah - poor job. As a result, every time I opened/closed the door there was a nice rattle of glass. Yuck. I decided that since I was going to open up the door, it was finally time to do the speaker upgrade. Well today we finished.

A few things... I purchased from Crutchfield and I love that they provide most everything you need with your purchase. The wiring harnesses were especially helpful.

I used Dynamat everywhere on the front driver door since I had to peel off the plastic barrier anyway. I only used it around the speakers and to close up any holes in the plastic on all the other doors. The drivers door has more of a 'thunk' when closing but that's the only difference I can tell so far.

One potential but probably obvious piece of advice.. the wiring harness for all doors is on the front of the plastic and exposed with the OEM speakers. Thankfully Nissan has some convenient holes for running these behind the panel to get them to the back of your new speakers easily. This was very handy.

The end result is a much better sounding audio system in the car. I don't have a subwoofer or additional amp (the '11 has the hump already making the back small enough) but the car bumps along nicely to music with a strong bass line. I recommend this upgrade to any of you '11 owners still running around with your OEM speakers.

I am at nearly 50k miles on my '11 and it has one bar gone but GID's are .. if I recall - about 190 - so definitely a drop off that makes some of the trips I did a few years ago out of the question. In time, I may go in and upgrade the pack. The car is our get around town car and we love it.

Anyway thanks again. Oh.. I did a lot of work with National Drive Electric Week through the past several years. I've pulled back from that due to some other priorities but I urge folks to attend events near you this summer. - https://driveelectricweek.org/

Patrick

SeattleBlueLeaf
Ocean Blue LEAF Delivered: 1/19/11
EV Project participant

Oliverovan
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 am
Delivery Date: 21 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 22506
Location: North Denver

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

So 5-1/4's then? My sales person just showed me 6-1/2" component systems today - I guess she was wrong! Any adaptor plate needed to bolt the Infinitys' in? You picked high sensitivity 4-ohm speakers which should be the loudest among aftermarket options, is there enough volume without an aftermarket amp? Do you think it would be worth it to get a component system if I have a stereo shop do the install?
So many questions!
Thanks in advance,
Mike
3.36kW rooftop PV system from 303 Solar/City Electric

User avatar
Lasareath
Gold Member
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190
Location: Central NJ
Contact: ICQ Website WLM Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Mike, Have you seen my post? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14156

Oliverovan wrote:So 5-1/4's then? My sales person just showed me 6-1/2" component systems today - I guess she was wrong! Any adaptor plate needed to bolt the Infinitys' in? You picked high sensitivity 4-ohm speakers which should be the loudest among aftermarket options, is there enough volume without an aftermarket amp? Do you think it would be worth it to get a component system if I have a stereo shop do the install?
So many questions!
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Are you running into a lot of EV HOLES or ICEHOLES ?

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/evEtiquette?

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”