Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Re: Door Speakers & Subwoofers in my Leaf

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:39 pm

DrillbabyDrill wrote:My Leaf arrives in a month and would like to order some speakers for it. It looks like two people on this thread ordered aftermarket speakers. Will any 6.5" speakers fit? I'm totally lost when you guys start talking in your audiophile lingo- can someone recommend a speaker to use if I don't plan on adding subs or disabling the tweeters if it turns out to be difficult? Thanks.

Pretty tough for me to say whether ANY 6.5" speakers will fit. It all depends on the size of the rear of the speaker and the magnet assembly depth, etc. The ones I bought and installed will work, so if you research those speakers online maybe you can find some specs about the size that can be translated to another brand of speaker. I'm happy with the speakers I bought (photos and description on the first page of this thread)...

Randy

Randy

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:46 pm

DrillbabyDrill wrote:
defiancecp wrote:There's PLENTY of room in the door for the external crossovers. It's a bit more work, but it's well worth it for the increased crossover quality as compared to other coaxes.

Can someone translate this for me? What are external crossovers, should I get them, why are they more work and what are coaxes? Thanks.

Look on a website like Crutchfield.com for more info.

In a nutshell, coaxial speakers have two speaker drivers mounted in the same package. It could be a woofer on the bottom and a tweeter mounted across the top. You install that one speaker and you get the benefit of the two drivers. Of course, this is a compromise to the real "Audiophiles".

Separate woofer/tweeter speakers usually require an external crossover (if they are of any decent quality). A crossover is an electronic device that controls what frequencies get "routed" to each speaker. The idea behind this is that it makes more sense to route lower frequency audio to a speaker that can reproduce it, and direct high frequency audio to the tweeter, etc. These crossovers are pretty small but you still need to have room to install them.

I would suggest that you browse the Crutchfield website and check out their materials about the different options available...

Randy

DrillbabyDrill

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Randy wrote:Pretty tough for me to say whether ANY 6.5" speakers will fit. It all depends on the size of the rear of the speaker and the magnet assembly depth, etc. The ones I bought and installed will work, so if you research those speakers online maybe you can find some specs about the size that can be translated to another brand of speaker. I'm happy with the speakers I bought (photos and description on the first page of this thread)...
Randy

I think I will probably just go with those CDTs. For $100 a pair, the price is right. Sent you a PM about the cheapo vibration dampener. Did that work out for you? The price is right on that stuff as well...

DrillbabyDrill

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Randy wrote:In a nutshell, coaxial speakers have two speaker drivers mounted in the same package. It could be a woofer on the bottom and a tweeter mounted across the top. You install that one speaker and you get the benefit of the two drivers. Of course, this is a compromise to the real "Audiophiles".

Separate woofer/tweeter speakers usually require an external crossover (if they are of any decent quality). A crossover is an electronic device that controls what frequencies get "routed" to each speaker. The idea behind this is that it makes more sense to route lower frequency audio to a speaker that can reproduce it, and direct high frequency audio to the tweeter, etc. These crossovers are pretty small but you still need to have room to install them.
Randy

OK that makes sense. Knowing that, I'll probably grab those CDTs you recommend and just disable the tweeter. You just need to disconnect the tweeter physically, right? Is there any special thing you have to do with the head unit for that? Thanks for your help.

Randy

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:58 pm

DrillbabyDrill wrote:OK that makes sense. Knowing that, I'll probably grab those CDTs you recommend and just disable the tweeter. You just need to disconnect the tweeter physically, right? Is there any special thing you have to do with the head unit for that? Thanks for your help.

After putting my ear up to the existing tweeters (and not hearing much sound when playing), I decided to not disconnect them. No regrets on that decision.

If you're only replacing the door speakers, there's nothing special you have to do with the head unit. It's just a speaker swapout....

In order to get the doors off, though, I would highly recommend the blue plastic tool kit I have pictured in the beginning of the thread...You really need it...

Randy

awiegel
Delivery Date: 08 May 2011
Leaf Number: 0747

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm

DrillbabyDrill wrote:My Leaf arrives in a month and would like to order some speakers for it. It looks like two people on this thread ordered aftermarket speakers. Will any 6.5" speakers fit? I'm totally lost when you guys start talking in your audiophile lingo- can someone recommend a speaker to use if I don't plan on adding subs or disabling the tweeters if it turns out to be difficult? Thanks.

I was very pleased with the benefits of simply replacing the stock door speakers with the $100/pair coax from Amazon as suggested by the author of the thread. I added the subwoofer because I wanted full bass, but was as good as most "good" car stereos after simply replacing the door speakers and leaving the pillar tweeters hooked up.

Andrew

EVDRIVER

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Randy wrote:
DrillbabyDrill wrote:OK that makes sense. Knowing that, I'll probably grab those CDTs you recommend and just disable the tweeter. You just need to disconnect the tweeter physically, right? Is there any special thing you have to do with the head unit for that? Thanks for your help.

After putting my ear up to the existing tweeters (and not hearing much sound when playing), I decided to not disconnect them. No regrets on that decision.

If you're only replacing the door speakers, there's nothing special you have to do with the head unit. It's just a speaker swapout....

In order to get the doors off, though, I would highly recommend the blue plastic tool kit I have pictured in the beginning of the thread...You really need it...

Randy

Except that you change the load at that frequency level.

SteveInSeattle
Delivery Date: 03 May 2011

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Can someone convert these pages [INT13 - INT18 (Body Interior)] from the service manual to a pdf or using some other approach send them to me? I want to do the speakers but I also have a problem with the arm rest on my back door. The leather installer removed it and it is now loose. Thanks! Steve
2013 lease ended, purchased a red 2015 SL Premium from Ray Ishak at Magic Nissan. Good deal + rebates + $7500 tax credit + no sales tax = Leaf for Sentra money.

FairwoodRed

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:00 am

PM sent

Vitor

Unsafe Leaf? Too quiet? NOT ANYMORE, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 am

I replaced the two front speakers with the CDT speakers and I was not that impressed with the sound. Better, but nothing like my Mini or my Lexux Hybrid, or my previous Honda Hybrid.
By now I was commited to the replacement of the four speakers so I went ahead and completed the replacement.
By the way, I used the existing connector, if you cut the OEM speakers, you will be able to drop the CDT speakers into the adapter and just solder the tabs to the existing tabs. See the picture.

So, I needed more power!!!
I then installed an ALPINE KTP-445 HEAD UNIT POWER PACK 45W RMS X 4, this is a speaker level amplifier, that is very compact and does not draw a lot of power (until you crank up the volume).
Now I'm happy with the clear thumping (if I choose to) sound.
Sorry, no picture of that installation, too busy messing with the wiring.

I'm still not happy with the horn replacement, the one recommended here is OK, but I want the scare-the-hell-out-of-you sound of my Lexus Hybrid.
The search is on for one of those.
Reserved 4/10, ordered 1/11, delivery August 5th.
Ex-driving 04 Honda Hybrid, 01 Honda CNG, 06 Lexus Hybrid, 03 Mini Cooper S and 99 Volvo V70XC.

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”