Navi safety override?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravi100

Has anyone figured out a way to disable the Navi system safety override that prevents you from using it while moving? I hate that feature when a passenger could easily operate the system but is not allowed to.

I agree. I haven't dug into the pinouts in the service manual yet, but there might be a signal to the head unit that the car is in "Park", much like the one for Reverse. Hopefully that's not moved to CANbus.

There might be a wheel rotation signal that can be interrupted as well -- effectively making the nav think the car has stopped, until GPS convinces it otherwise.

GroundLoop said:
I agree. I haven't dug into the pinouts in the service manual yet, but there might be a signal to the head unit that the car is in "Park", much like the one for Reverse. Hopefully that's not moved to CANbus.

There might be a wheel rotation signal that can be interrupted as well -- effectively making the nav think the car has stopped, until GPS convinces it otherwise.

It is definitely not related to Park. It becomes enabled when you stop at a traffic light, and then disables again once you start moving. Not sure how the motion signal gets to the unit, but it is definitely motion related not gear selector/Park.

It uses the vehicle speed signal and disables above 5 MPH.

palmermd said:
It is definitely not related to Park. It becomes enabled when you stop at a traffic light, and then disables again once you start moving. Not sure how the motion signal gets to the unit, but it is definitely motion related not gear selector/Park.

Is the vehicle speed signal a single wire that can be tapped into?

I found one on my wife's Highlander and put a switch inline so you can disable the signal while in motion and get temporary access to nav input. But the GPS gets a bit confused if you leave it off so you can't leave it disabled for long.

TEG said:
Is the vehicle speed signal a single wire that can be tapped into?

I found one on my wife's Highlander and put a switch inline so you can disable the signal while in motion and get temporary access to nav input. But the GPS gets a bit confused if you leave it off so you can't leave it disabled for long.
It's all in the CAN-bus, however maybe a false speed signal could be sent to the navigation system... Hmm...

DarkStar said:
It's all in the CAN-bus, however maybe a false speed signal could be sent to the navigation system... Hmm...

Nope, not on CANBus.. the Nav uses Pin 28(GR) to sense the wheel speed, and confirms/calibrates with GPS.

Try disconnecting 28. :)

I definetly want to defeat this system. We did so on our 2005 Prius (required that you enter software diagnostics) Then in 2006 Toyota reversed engineered that method. Then a company introduced a plug in device that electronically says ok at the sign on screen and then temporarily stops the signal showing the car's movement. It allows the use of the screen for about 10 seconds and then lets go. You must wait another few seconds and then the screen comes back and you can continue to enter your destination. Toyota felt that one could use the voice activated system but it never really worked once you were driving. So I hope as our numbers pick up that someone out there will make a add on piece. As for the phone I was able to put a on off switch on one of the speed wires and that allows me to use the phone any time. I would imagine that will also be available on the leaf.
Manny

They should at least AND that condition together with the weight sensor that disables the passenger airbag. Of course if the passenger seat is occupied you probably don't need the navigation system to tell you what to do.

Looks pretty simple, just like in my Prius hack:
av_circuit.jpg

Pin #28 of the A/V unit comes from the speed sensor, so all you need to do is cut it, put in a switch, and you can fool the A/V into letting you access everything as if the car isn't moving. It also appears that I should be able to hack the camera's video input, just like my other Prius hack, except I don't think I could deal with the lines the display draws on the screen to show where I'm backing into. With the Prius its just a line at the bottom warning you about something.
Has anyone had the A/V unit out yet? Can you give some tips on removal, to get to pin #28? I'd do this tomorrow if I didn't have my plate so full of things already.

TomT said:
I believe that you might find that you also have to disrupt the GPS antenna signal...

I'm betting NOT. Why would they make it so much more complex than they need to? They have a simple speed sensor to do the job of disabling access, and why clutter it up by also looking at the GPS?
I'm sure someone here has had the A/V unit out, or at least the dash parts around it. Any help?

Because the Nav/Display system uses the GPS to refine the speed data. Thus, if they coded it to simply look at the total corrected speed data to determine if the car is going faster than 5 mph, it may still see a viable speed signal even with the speed sensor data disrupted...

keydiver said:
TomT said:
I believe that you might find that you also have to disrupt the GPS antenna signal...
I'm betting NOT. Why would they make it so much more complex than they need to? They have a simple speed sensor to do the job of disabling access, and why clutter it up by also looking at the GPS?

OK, to put all controvery aside, it works! Its a simple matter of cutting the gray/silver striped wire to pin #28. This not only allowed me to enter a new destination as I drove, but I could also access all of my cellphone options while driving. The only downside I could find was that as long as I had the speed sensor signal interupted, the NAV showed my car at the same location where I first threw the switch, so you only want to interupt the signal long enough to make the changes you need, and then reconnect the signal to let the NAV update your location. One VERY important note if you are going to attempt this: ignore the pin numbers molded onto the A/V plug. Not only does Nissan totally ignore those numbers, they assigned the new pin numbers BACKWARDS from the order shown on the plug, and with all odd pins on the top row and even numbers on the bottom, as shown on the datasheet from the manual above. The pin numbers above are looking at the back of the connector, with the wires sticking out toward you. The Gray/Silver striped wire you want to cut is the 4th wire from the left on the bottom row. Simply connect it to any SPST toggle switch, to open the connection when you want to access the grayed-out menus. I had this toggle switch in my junk box, so I dremeled out one of the extra switch blanks in the dash, and trimmed it in nicely with an Xacto knife.
switch.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to also try out my Prius "Anytime Backup Camera" mod, which also works perfect. You need to cut the Green/Silver reverse wire to pin #30, install a simple 1N400x series diode in series with the cut, with the banded cathode side toward the NAV. Then, I supplied +12 volts to pin #30 through my toggle switch, which I got from pin #31, a Purple/Silver wire, which forces the backup camera on at any time. In my Prius I used this to connect a Garmin GVN52 navigation unit to the display, since I didn't feel like spending the $3000 upgrade to get NAV in 2006. I have also used the video input to play movies while parked, but I don't know if I'll go to that extra trouble in the LEAF. I guess it could be useful if I was sitting for a few hours charging somewhere, but that's about all I can think of. I always wanted to install a large IR array out front on my Prius, and a camera, to see through the fog better, but never got around to it.
A couple notes on removal of the NAV, and running the wires:
1) The complete trim assembly around the NAV simply pops off, and then you lift up slightly to release a couple fingers in the dash. You need to unplug the emergency flasher switch to be able to lay it down out of the way.
2) The NAV itself is simply held in by 4 large Philips screws. remove them, pull it out, and unplug the large 40-pin plug on the driver's side.
3) To run the wires I dropped the panel above the driver's feet. It is held in by 2 plastic Philips screws, which only need 1-2 turns to release, and a large plastic nut on a stud on the firewall. This allowed me to grab the wires I fed in from the switch, and get them over closer to the NAV.
4) I stuck a small pole down a hole to the left of the NAV, which came out right above the accelerator pedal, so I could tape the wires to it and pull them up.
I don't think Daryll will mind, I hacked this picture off his site to show how the Anytime Backup Mod works:
diode.jpg

The diode keeps the backup lights from coming on whenever you throw the switch.

It doesn't bother me enough for me to undertake all that is necessary to mod it, but it is good to know nonetheless. Nice job.
keydiver said:
OK, to put all controvery aside, it works! Its a simple matter of cutting the gray/silver striped wire to pin #28.

So, on pin 28, if one supplied infrequent pulses
(what is the pulse rate at the "not moving" threshold?),
the Menus might work, AND
the GPS might still Track the car's position?

keydriver, wow, thanks for giving this a go!

I'm also working with a guy that has made kits for other Nissan cars that does the same thing. He's sending me a kit to test and if it works he'll make it available to everyone. It's a lot more expensive than DIY but it requires no cutting or wiring leaving the OEM wire harness intact. It connects inline to the OEM harness. Then there is a wireless remote to override the nav safety and to activate the backup camera. The mirror buttons could be programmed for this function. Also has a slightly cheaper version that uses normal switches. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

OK the kit worked great and installed easily. I can now activate the reverse camera and my passenger can use the navigation/etc. while the car is moving. Programmed the homelink buttons to operate these features.

If you leave the speed sensor disabled the GPS has trouble but doesn't take too long for it to catch up once you turn it back on.

He hasn't updated the website yet but this is the kit he sent me:
http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-murano/murano-bypass-remote-htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back