Accuracy of Nav system - re: time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathewbeall

Hi Folks,

I came from using a Garmin, and when I put in the destination the Garmin would tell me at what time I was going to arrive - on the Leaf's NAV it shows a number of minutes - is there a way for it to display arrival time? I went through all the menu's but couldn't find it.

Also - does the estimation seem really off? The Garmin was almost always really spot on - generally within a minute or two. The Leaf NAV unit seems to generally (at the beginning) be 30-50% more time than it will really take.... my drive home generally takes 30 minutes, today it said it would take 54 minutes, and it only took me 32 minutes. As I got closer it kept adjusting the time remaining down, but it should be pretty close to the Garmin on guessing I would think...

Anyone else notice this?

Matt

It's because the LEAF NAV is very poor in many regards. I would trust any device over the LEAF unit. My Garmin is exact regardless, the LEAF can only get the time correct on the NAV but compensates buy having a clock that is off on the dash :shock:

I don't think it is "as the crow flies" but I have noticed that XM traffic info does have an affect on it. On the freeway route that I often take, the estimated time varies depending on what traffic (red, amber, or green) is being shown by XM along the route... It can vary by as much as 20 minutes over the same route from a red to a green screen. But yeah, the estimate still pretty much sucks regardless.

DarkStar said:
The Leaf calculates the time to destination by using your current speed and the distance "as the crow flies." Google Maps is much more accurate...

mogur said:
I don't think it is "as the crow flies" but I have noticed that XM traffic info does have an affect on it. On the freeway route that I often take, the estimated time varies depending on what traffic (red, amber, or green) is being shown by XM along the route... It can vary by as much as 20 minutes over the same route from a red to a green screen. But yeah, the estimate still pretty much sucks regardless.

DarkStar said:
The Leaf calculates the time to destination by using your current speed and the distance "as the crow flies." Google Maps is much more accurate...
That could be the case. When I tested it out I no longer had the XM subscription. I should see if it's different now that the trial is turned back on.

I am pretty sure Nissan uses some conservative speeds that they assign to each type of road. The navi units in Infiniti, Maxima and some others permit you to change these defaults in the settings menu.

Back