HD Radio: Possible Solution(s)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

I understand these Clarion units can be upgraded to include HD radio capability with the purchase of their THD400 HD radio tuner add-on. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2011/audio/accessories/THD400/us-en-product-pf_1259459740741.html

I spoke with a Clarion technical support rep on the phone, who truly bent over backwards to help me. The short answer is, no, the factory-installed head unit is not upgradeable. However, there are options. He advised calling Nissan corporate to voice my concern, if enough customers want it then Nissan may opt for the HD-capable unit in the future. Also, PAC Audio makes a device that integrates with the head unit to allow HD radio and other inter-connectivity options. They make different models for every vehicle, and do not yet have one that is compatible with the LEAF. The simplest and most affordable option is to purchase a standalone HD receiver and plug it in to the AUX jack in the car. Possible options include a JVC receiver and a Visteon receiver. While I'm familiar with the JVC brand and it is a nicer looking unit, the entire receiver is packed into the small console and reviewers are in consensus that it gets very hot as a result making it unstable in operation and prone to failure. The Visteon unit seems worth serious consideration.

johnr said:
The simplest and most affordable option is to purchase a standalone HD receiver and plug it in to the AUX jack in the car.
Or to an iPod/phone, if you have one.

Back