ILETRIC
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011

Leaf Speakers Replacements

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Ah, those horrible Leaf speakers.

Well, I got it fianlly handled. Infiniti 63.9i 2ohm (actually measured at 3.3 - but it matters not). They are fantastic. My installer had to shred the rear ones to get the rings for fastening. Gave me the front ones -- to use as door stops. They truly have no magnets like everyone says.

The Infinities cost me 100 bucks a pair and they make that Clarion system sound like a real 100w stereo I have in my old car. They are 3-way, heavy magnets, and brilliant sound. Highly recommended.

Hey, Nissan! Are you listening?
------------------------------------------------
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

Traded-in on 10-19-2014 at 56,150 miles
-------------> for Kia Soul EV+ <-------------

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Re: Leaf Speakers Replacements

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 am

ILETRIC wrote:Ah, those horrible Leaf speakers.

Well, I got it fianlly handled. Infiniti 63.9i 2ohm (actually measured at 3.3 - but it matters not). They are fantastic. My installer had to shred the rear ones to get the rings for fastening. Gave me the front ones -- to use as door stops. They truly have no magnets like everyone says.

The Infinities cost me 100 bucks a pair and they make that Clarion system sound like a real 100w stereo I have in my old car. They are 3-way, heavy magnets, and brilliant sound. Highly recommended.

I just checked around and found a pair for $70 at bargainsunlimited dot net. I'm was conerned about the quality of sound until your post. Thank you! I'll be ordering these. Can't imagine speakers without magnets.

Regards,

Dave
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

Ready2plugin

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:28 am

CWO4Mann wrote:

I just checked around and found a pair for $70 at bargainsunlimited dot net. I'm was conerned about the quality of sound until your post. Thank you! I'll be ordering these. Can't imagine speakers without magnets.

Regards,

Dave

FYI, Bargainsunlimited charge $20 per pair for shipping ($40 for two pairs).

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Ready2plugin wrote:
CWO4Mann wrote:

Regards,

Dave

Aha! Just discovered that! I'm going to hit up Costco and Sam's Club this weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Dave
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

zarwin

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks so much for saving me the time. I had this on my list of things to do after I get the car in December, but I'll go ahead and purchase ahead of time. Beyond destroying the rear speakers to get the adapter ring, was there anything else unique or challenging about putting these in? Any other tips you could share? I assume by your post that the front and rear are identical, so two pairs of Infiniti 63.9i would work, correct?

-Zarwin

zarwin

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Ready2plugin wrote:
CWO4Mann wrote:

Regards,

Dave

I'm just going to order through Amazon, 88.95 + free shipping, so just a buck less per pair than Bargainsunlimited with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-639I-2x6 ... B00190XTL2

ILETRIC

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Zarwin, nothing to share as far the speaker install. I paid the local shop $140 to put them in. It would have been $100 -- extra for the rear speakers shredding time.

If I was to do it again I would put 2-ways in the back just to get more bass -- perhaps. But this way the rear passengers get the same highs as the front ones. Very happy with the choice, otherwise. Night and day. Those Nissan speakers were atrocious, seriously folks, NO MAGNETS to speak of. Ridiculous, Nissan!

Also replaced that baby horn. Now sounds like a real American dual tone car horn. Has to be 10 Amp unit, that's all. No need to change the relay. It cost $60 in labor, the unit was around 20 bucks. Leather next, but not now. I'd like to see a bigger battery first so I know I'm keeping the car. I am actually hoping Nissan will come up with an option to add a few kWs to the battery. Like 5 to 8 kW -- that would be nice, wouldn't it? BYD is going to make some serious sales because it has a much larger battery. Look out, Nissan!

Can't wait to swap that stupid 3.3 kW on-board charger as well -- asap.

DrRocket

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 am

Since the Leaf is so quiet, I was finally willing to install Hertz speakers with a proper amplifier. Cost me about $1300 and this is the best car stereo I have ever had. Most of the customers at the installer are high end cars.

Well worth it.

Brightonuk
Delivery Date: 28 Nov 2011

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Can the originals be reinstalled in the rear if I use the Infiniti 63.9i?

As I am leasing the Leaf but for three years I would like something better than a tin can and a piece of string

ILETRIC

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Brightonuk, the answer is no. Your installer has to do away with the proprietary connectors for all 4 wimpies and possibly reuse the rings on the rear ones by knocking them out.

I don't think Nissan is going to be snooping around what speakers came back once you return the car. Just keep them in a write them off. It's worth it for the next 2 years of keeping the car. I couldn't take another day with those wimpy originals. They were horrible speakers. Cheepees. Shame on you, Nissan...

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”