Leaf Speakers Replacements

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchthing

Ah, those horrible Leaf speakers.

Well, I got it fianlly handled. Infiniti 63.9i 2ohm (actually measured at 3.3 - but it matters not). They are fantastic. My installer had to shred the rear ones to get the rings for fastening. Gave me the front ones -- to use as door stops. They truly have no magnets like everyone says.

The Infinities cost me 100 bucks a pair and they make that Clarion system sound like a real 100w stereo I have in my old car. They are 3-way, heavy magnets, and brilliant sound. Highly recommended.

Hey, Nissan! Are you listening?

ILETRIC said:

Well, I got it fianlly handled. Infiniti 63.9i 2ohm (actually measured at 3.3 - but it matters not). They are fantastic. My installer had to shred the rear ones to get the rings for fastening. Gave me the front ones -- to use as door stops. They truly have no magnets like everyone says.

The Infinities cost me 100 bucks a pair and they make that Clarion system sound like a real 100w stereo I have in my old car. They are 3-way, heavy magnets, and brilliant sound. Highly recommended.

I just checked around and found a pair for $70 at bargainsunlimited dot net. I'm was conerned about the quality of sound until your post. Thank you! I'll be ordering these. Can't imagine speakers without magnets.

Regards,

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
ILETRIC said:

I just checked around and found a pair for $70 at bargainsunlimited dot net. I'm was conerned about the quality of sound until your post. Thank you! I'll be ordering these. Can't imagine speakers without magnets.

Regards,

Dave

FYI, Bargainsunlimited charge $20 per pair for shipping ($40 for two pairs).

Ready2plugin said:
CWO4Mann said:
ILETRIC said:

Regards,

Dave

Aha! Just discovered that! I'm going to hit up Costco and Sam's Club this weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Dave

ILETRIC said:

Thanks so much for saving me the time. I had this on my list of things to do after I get the car in December, but I'll go ahead and purchase ahead of time. Beyond destroying the rear speakers to get the adapter ring, was there anything else unique or challenging about putting these in? Any other tips you could share? I assume by your post that the front and rear are identical, so two pairs of Infiniti 63.9i would work, correct?

-Zarwin

Ready2plugin said:
CWO4Mann said:
ILETRIC said:

Regards,

Dave

I'm just going to order through Amazon, 88.95 + free shipping, so just a buck less per pair than Bargainsunlimited with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-639I-2x6-3-Three-Way-Speakers/dp/B00190XTL2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zarwin, nothing to share as far the speaker install. I paid the local shop $140 to put them in. It would have been $100 -- extra for the rear speakers shredding time.

If I was to do it again I would put 2-ways in the back just to get more bass -- perhaps. But this way the rear passengers get the same highs as the front ones. Very happy with the choice, otherwise. Night and day. Those Nissan speakers were atrocious, seriously folks, NO MAGNETS to speak of. Ridiculous, Nissan!

Also replaced that baby horn. Now sounds like a real American dual tone car horn. Has to be 10 Amp unit, that's all. No need to change the relay. It cost $60 in labor, the unit was around 20 bucks. Leather next, but not now. I'd like to see a bigger battery first so I know I'm keeping the car. I am actually hoping Nissan will come up with an option to add a few kWs to the battery. Like 5 to 8 kW -- that would be nice, wouldn't it? BYD is going to make some serious sales because it has a much larger battery. Look out, Nissan!

Can't wait to swap that stupid 3.3 kW on-board charger as well -- asap.

Since the Leaf is so quiet, I was finally willing to install Hertz speakers with a proper amplifier. Cost me about $1300 and this is the best car stereo I have ever had. Most of the customers at the installer are high end cars.

Well worth it.

Can the originals be reinstalled in the rear if I use the Infiniti 63.9i?

As I am leasing the Leaf but for three years I would like something better than a tin can and a piece of string

Brightonuk, the answer is no. Your installer has to do away with the proprietary connectors for all 4 wimpies and possibly reuse the rings on the rear ones by knocking them out.

I don't think Nissan is going to be snooping around what speakers came back once you return the car. Just keep them in a write them off. It's worth it for the next 2 years of keeping the car. I couldn't take another day with those wimpy originals. They were horrible speakers. Cheepees. Shame on you, Nissan...

Yer I figure $100 over three years is not gonna break the bank
Thanks

You mentioned that a two way in the rear for more bass do you have any suggestions as to which ones

Are you saying that your Leaf doesn't have speakers in the back? You just put two Infinitis in the front and cannibalized the rear mounts to put them in? Are four Infinitis possible?

I bought four of the same 3-ways. In retrospect I could have gotten 2-ways for the rear doors to add extra bass to the car. I just drove the car today thinking about the sound and it's wonderful. I've already forgotten how bad it was with the originals.

Once again, my car audio installer had to reuse the rings for the rears -- not the fronts. So I have the fronts, but the rears got knocked out for the rings to fasten the rear speakers. I don't know what it all looked like in terms of install. I don't want to mess with something I don't have proper tools, experience, etc.

They did a good job judging by the fact it works and there are no loose/scratched areas anywhere in the car so far as I can tell. The job was done by Autosonics in Novato, Ca. Cost: quoted $100, actual $140 because the rears took an extra 30 min or so. They said it was a routine job, no surprises.

In retrospect I could have gotten 2-ways for the rear doors to add extra bass to the car

I am going for the 63.9i in the front do you have a sugestion on which model # to ues for the rear I assume sticking with the Infiniti brand?

Nope. I have not studied the subject of 2-ways as I had my mind set on same speakers for front and rear. Make sure your 2-ways for the rear are 2-ohm rated just like the 3-ways. Those are hard to find as most common aftermarket car speakers are 4-ohms. Have fun with it and post what you come up with and how it turns out in terms of sound.

Has anyone pulled the interior panels off to do this replacement themselves? Are special tools required?

Or can anyone cut and paste the section of the service manual which explains front and rear interior door panel removal?

Thanks for the suggestion on speaker upgrades. At first I was ok with the weak Leaf speakers, but after a while I really started to miss hearing the rich sounds of music. I rode in my wifes prius last week and what a difference in sound quality. I like the Leaf a zillion times more than the prius but I have to upgrade the speakers. I need to hear the music when the stereo is on.

+1. I'd like to do the install myself if possible.

DeaneG said:
Has anyone pulled the interior panels off to do this replacement themselves? Are special tools required?

Or can anyone cut and paste the section of the service manual which explains front and rear interior door panel removal?

I did mine this weekend with the Infiniti 63.9i's all-around... What a difference!

Pretty easy, but worth cutting some MDF or dense ply for the surrounds. The "infinite baffle" effect will help the low end tremendously. I made a cardboard pattern, and it works for all 4 doors, though I've only done the front 2 so far.

Door panels are easy. Pry up on the rear of of the switch console with something softish and wide (can put tape on a kitchen knife), then unhook it from the front. There is one 10mm bolt here, and be sure to disconnect all the connectors. Then pry up on the rear of the little trim plastic inside the back of the door release handle area, and it will come out. There will be another 10mm bolt there. Then it's just "christmas trees", simply grab the bottom of the panel and yank out hard. Some of the trees will come off, and some wont, but it's easy to put them back in after extraction. Take the 3 philips screws out of the rear of the panel that hold the door release mechanism in and the panel is free.

On EVDRIVER's advice, I treated the door sheetmetal with 6" wide Nashua window flashing tape, and it sounds awesome. I'll try and get some pix up soon.

-Phil

Back