LEAFguy
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Leaf Speakers Replacements

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Herm wrote:I just noticed the small magnets in the factory speakers.. are they using rare earth magnets to keep the weight down?

BTW.. I just love that dark metallic red Nissan uses..

Herm, good guess. The reason that the speaker magnet is so small is that it uses a neodymium magnet, which Nissan has been using for years in their upgrade systems. Here is a link to Eminence neodymium magnet speakers, a high-end manufacturer that has made them for years. In fact, this is what their FAQ has to say about neodymium magnet speakers:

Each material, of course, has different magnetic properties and cost. Neodymium seems to be the wave of the future, especially with reduced weight and overall costs coming down. It produces the most magnetic flux per ounce, making it ideal for use in multiple speaker cabinets to maintain performance while reducing handling and shipping weight.

The reason Nissan uses these speakers in the LEAF is to minimize weight while offering reasonable sound. For most, the standard speakers will be fine. If you are used to a more powerful system, you may wish for more power as well as more capable speakers. Just swapping speakers out may not do the trick.

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 pm

A couple things.
I used a Fein multimaster to knock off the "lip" on the factory speaker rings.
Worked great.

Also, someone noted that they didn't "glue" the speakers to the ring.
Speaker design 101.
Companies spend an enormous amount of energy keeping the overpressure in the front of the speaker stroke, from meeting the negative pressure to the rear of the speaker during the same stroke.

Glue, silicon, whatever, but do something to seal those new speakers to the old rings.
Also, dynamat as tight as you can to delay those inverse pressures from cancelling as long as possible.

Did mine while they were doing the Leather interior.
One of the most time consuming things was de-soldering the old speaker leads.
They were Clamped, and then soldered.

Thanks Thanks for the pictures- They Helped immensely
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

craigmartell
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 008312

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Just did this upgrade today. Wow the difference is remarkable!!

craigmartell
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 008312

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 am

craigmartell wrote:Just did this upgrade today. Wow the difference is remarkable!!

BTW, is there any value in keeping the original speakers? I didn't need to dismantle them to install the speakers. I modified the brackets that came with the speakers. So, they are in original shape.

Craig

UBUYGAS
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks for posting these pics with the ruler in the car, Helps a lot.

I'm a Polk Audio man. I have Polk Audio speakers everywhere, So I really want to use Polks and I'm thinking of getting these:

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/mm651 which are 2-5/8" top mounted so I should be good?

FairwoodRed wrote:
The fronts however will interfere with the glass and you only have 2 7/8" clearance.

If you add the stock mounts, you will add 7/8" to both measurements.
Are you new to Plug-In Vehicles?

Have you charged in public yet?

If not, you really should read the EV Guidelines?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EVguidelines.com

FerretPewPew
Delivery Date: 03 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 5124

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Has anyone tried installing the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers? Are they better or worse than the 62.9i speakers?
http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_17484_Infinity-Kappa-62-11I-6-1-2-inch-2-Way-Kappa-Series-Coaxial-Car-Speakers.html

goaliepride
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2013

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 pm

I have some questions after -trying- to install a replacement speaker.

1) Between the speaker, and the plastic ring it goes into, should there be glue or something? Dynamat is currently backing the whole shebang, but isn't in the middle or anything.

2) My speaker (singular) doesn't sound great. From reading I understand that's probably because I switched polarity. As long as I do the same wiring behind it (red to positive, black to negative) it'll fix?

3) Have you all been clicking the -2 button on the speaker when installing them?

4) Are you all ditching that metal ring that came with the speakers?

5) Are you all using the little screw + metal clip to attach the speaker to the plastic ring?

Thanks all!
2013 SV w/Charge & Headlight package
http://theevlife.wordpress.com/

goaliepride
Delivery Date: 30 Sep 2013

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:14 am

Posting for Posterity.

I did all four speaker with the Infiniti 629's. I didn't put glue around the rings, I did dynamat behind them. I attached the speaker to the plastic rings with the smaller chubby screws. I used the "-2" setting in the back, but not in the front.

The plastic rings worked fine on all four speakers, you just have to drill out the ends of 2/3 of the triplets (so not the long opening one, but the other two). I mounted it by putting one screw into the car, sliding it onto that, then screwing in the other drilled out part near the end of the allowable space, then sort of jimmying it around until I could see the third hole through the unmodified longer opening.

I did have a minor problem with static, then having the stereo just turn off. I fixed this by untying one of the blocky connector bits from the internal metal I had zip tied it to. Once I did that it stopped static noising/shutting-off. I didn't do a good job attaching those boxes to anything, but put some foam on the outside of them when i remembered to. ***Edit: this isn't fixed. I still get the occasional weird noise. I plan to open it up once more, re-do the wiring, and make damn sure the brick thing is insulated.

The sound is okay. I was underwhelmed at first. I'm still playing with the bass/treble settings. I like it more than stock, but it doesn't blow me away. The noticeable difference is just that it sounds a bit more rich, mainly in the lower registers. The highs do sound better too I think. I find the mids to be improved, but mostly when I turn the treble/bass away from full blast and more towards center. I'm still fiddling with it.

I do have one piece of advice for anyone doing this, which is to be super careful when popping off the clips. I used a screwdriver and a sheet of plastic to stop it from making marks, but I still scratched into the plastic a time or two.

It took me around four hours total, the latter doors going much quicker than the initial door.
2013 SV w/Charge & Headlight package
http://theevlife.wordpress.com/

Phatcat73
Leaf Number: 401511

Sat May 03, 2014 5:42 pm

I decided to upgrade my fronts after a speaker blew. I pickup up the Infinity Kappa 62.9i (2 ohm) speakers. <$70 on amazon. It's an amazing upgrade that was simpler to install than expected. Speakers sound louder than the factory with more bass and higher highs. A must have!

After removing the old speaker out of the factory bracket (via dremel & utility knife), I reused it to house the infinity. I simply screwed the speaker to the top of the plastic bracket without modification and there was enough clearance.

Just so everyone's clear on polarity:

I removed the plastic film from the back of the magnet for better adhesion. Then I superglued the crossover at the bottom of the magnet (no interference with window):

2018 Tesla Model 3 AWD - Delivery due end of September 2018
2016 SV; leased 20-Jan-17, 18k, 87% SOH; 4-July-18
2015 S; purchased 29-July-14, moved to AZ Nov-2014, 22k, 82% SOH; 01-Mar-18
2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x2, 111k & going strong!

cgull
Delivery Date: 05 May 2014

Wed May 07, 2014 11:50 pm

Phatcat73 wrote:I decided to upgrade my fronts after a speaker blew. I pickup up the Infinity Kappa 62.9i (2 ohm) speakers. <$70 on amazon. It's an amazing upgrade that was simpler to install than expected. Speakers sound louder than the factory with more bass and higher highs. A must have!

After removing the old speaker out of the factory bracket (via dremel & utility knife), I reused it to house the infinity. I simply screwed the speaker to the top of the plastic bracket without modification and there was enough clearance

Wondering if I should attempt this on a 3yr lease. Anyone else?

Return to “Music / Navigation / Handsfree”