Adding a small sub-woofer??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmartell

I installed the Infinity 63.9i speaker upgrade last weekend, and the sound quality is sooooo much better. The only problem is that they only go down to about 45Hz. I know there have been sub-woofer upgrades that put tube woofers in the back, but I was looking for something more hidden. Does anyone know if a small subwoofer might fit under the front dash somewhere? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig

it appears there is still a lot of room left in the "hump" back in the trunk area, take off the cover and see. The "hump" houses the charger and a supercapacitor array used by the emergency brake.

garsh said:
Do you really think there's enough room in there for a sub?

Yes, on the left side. What is that silver pipe on top that runs from one side of the car to the other?.. something for crash resistance?

How will you get a signal to the amp/sub?

1. RCA on the back of the head-unit/navi?
2. ISO adapter harness of some kind?
3. Cutting/hijacking/twisting/soldering existing speaker wires?

Thinking of doing this myself but info on the wiring or connectors on the back of the head-unit/navi is limited.

When I had my i-MiEV leased for two years, I put in a small Sony amp under the rear seat (where the useless tire inflation kit was located) and a smallish 10" single sub in the rear hatch. The Sony accepted speaker-level inputs so I didn't have to change the stock head unit.

I don't see a good place under the front dash (and NOTHING under the front seats) to put a small sub. The sub enclosure I used was small enough to be portable. If I needed the extra storage room in the car, I would just take out the sub. You may have to do the same thing to get decent low-end response.

That being said, I have NOT made the same modifications to my LEAF yet. Since I'm working from home now, my need to improve the stock radio is less since I don't spend much time in the car any more. Given the head unit in my "S" model is the same manufacturer as was in my i-MiEV, I expect the same good results if I do make that modification.

Box: http://www.frys.com/product/6192199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had my subwoofer professionally installed, and they spliced into the rear speaker wires out of the head unit. There's no RCAs or adapter harness available, at least on the SV/SL models with nav.

Back