Bluetooth phone connected but streaming audio doesn't work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hohensee

My Samsung Replenish smartphone connects well enough via Bluetooth for hands-free phone reception. Great.

But when I try to select Bluetooth on the LEAF to listen to an audio stream from the Bluetooth connected phone I get an error message that says "the audio device is not connected. Please reconnect the audio device." I check again and yup, to be sure, the phone is Bluetooth connected just fine.

Am I missing something?

There are two different modes of bluetooth: phone and audio device. A smartphone can be connected as either one, but not both at the same time (from what I understand). When you pair the device, the LEAF asks whether it is a phone or an audio device and remembers your choice. If you delete your phone from the connected devices list, you can re-pair it and select "No" for audio device, but then the hands-free phone won't work...

If your smartphone supports file access through USB you can connect the phone as hands-free using bluetooth and then use a USB-cable for the audio system. This charges the smartphone and also gives you more control and information on the LEAF's touch screen. (You can navigate through the songs on the touch screen instead of using the smartphone's display which you would have had to using bluetooth.)

If USB is not possible, you can connect it using a standard stereo cable from the headphone jack to the AUX input (1/4").

tydal said:
There are two different modes of bluetooth: phone and audio device. A smartphone can be connected as either one, but not both at the same time (from what I understand). When you pair the device, the LEAF asks whether it is a phone or an audio device and remembers your choice. If you delete your phone from the connected devices list, you can re-pair it and select "No" for audio device, but then the hands-free phone won't work...

My old car could stream bluetooth audio without disconnecting the phone portion.

hohensee said:
My Samsung Replenish smartphone connects well enough via Bluetooth for hands-free phone reception. Great.

But when I try to select Bluetooth on the LEAF to listen to an audio stream from the Bluetooth connected phone I get an error message that says "the audio device is not connected. Please reconnect the audio device." I check again and yup, to be sure, the phone is Bluetooth connected just fine.

Am I missing something?

common problem especially with 2 drivers and 2 phones. BT phone function automatically connects for me but i have to change audio device manually to get playback function which sucks but that is how it goes

Just FYI, with my Iphone, both phone and streaming work fine with a single pairing. In fact, one day, I was playing with the audio controls and the cat started playing music that I knew but wasn't expecting to hear. Turned out that it was playing music off the phone.

I went down to the garage and tried some more with my HTC Sensation and managed to get it to work! Here's how:

1. Do a normal pairing as a phone.
2. Select "Connect Bluetooth" again.
3. Choose Audio Device (i.e. click "No").
4. Type 0000.
5. The bluetooth is disconnected.
6. Go to bluetooth settings on your smartphone and look at the list of devices.
7. Click "MY-CAR".
8. The smartphone is now paired with the car as both phone and audio device.

The Leaf can store (IIRC) up to six bluetooth devices, but it can only be connected to one device at time for phone and/or audio. Any smartphone that is to be used for phone and audio has to be set up, once for phone and once for audio. After that, it remembers everything.

The difficulty is when there is more than one driver. My situation is no doubt similar to many here - my wife also regularly drives the Leaf. Every time I get in the vehicle I make sure the Leaf tells me it's connected to my phone. Absent that message, it's connected to hers. The switch is very easy - I just push the little phone button on the steering wheel, select "connected devices", choose my phone and voila! - I'm now connected for phone and audio.

Phone and streaming audio work both at once with a paired phone (Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.0.4). It even pauses the streaming audio when a call comes in (iirc).

But switching to a second paired phone always has to be done manually (through the menus). Even when the first phone is nowhere in sight. Fails the philosophy of least astonishment.

The whole Navi GUI feels very clunky. At least 5 years dated (which is a long time in technology). How Nissan ended up with this user experience in an otherwise well designed car simply baffles me.

My iPhone4 would connect both phone and audio and work fine.

I've paired the new iPhone5 for both phone and audio. Phone works, audio thinks it's connected but doesn't play.

It does play with usb / lightning connected.

Any ideas?

Dennisj00 said:
My iPhone4 would connect both phone and audio and work fine.

I've paired the new iPhone5 for both phone and audio. Phone works, audio thinks it's connected but doesn't play.

It does play with usb / lightning connected.

Any ideas?

1) Try rebooting the iPhone (not just turning it off). If that doesn't work,
2) Delete the pairing and pair again.

I've had to do something similar in the past (it's that great Apple software)

Back