Retrofit of OEM LED Headlights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeetle18t

I am in the process of swapping out the original halogen headlamps from my 2015 S with factory LED headlamps.

I have actively followed several threads where the swap was briefly mentioned and 2 forum members did the swap. Unfortunately I have sent private messages to both Andrejun and ty1 and have not received a response from either of them.

I have managed to removed the stock headlight and now need assistance splicing the wiring harness from the halogen onto the LED one.

Thanks for any information in advance.

Nobody's obligated to help in private or publicly. I guess they don't visit here much any more, esp. Andrejun who hasn't been here in over a year (at least while logged in).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17928 currently says
"Last active: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am"

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13922 currently says
"Last active: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:27 pm".

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

cwerdna said:
Nobody's obligated to help in private or publicly. I guess they don't visit here much any more, esp. Andrejun who hasn't been here in over a year (at least while logged in).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17928 currently says
"Last active: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am"

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13922 currently says
"Last active: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:27 pm".

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Yes I completely understand just wanted to let others know I have researched the topic and was looking for another party who may also have done the swap or has knowledge of the the 2 different wiring harnesses.

Have you tried simply swapping out the bulbs for something else?

While the OEM LED headlights are superior to the halogen ones in low beam, the high beams are still terrible.

I would say to look at the differences and similarities of the connectors and the wires (colors). The LED cannot be that much different than the halogens..... The have positive, negative, and neutral::???? you can play around with + and - with a 12v set of leads and match them.. You can probably get a wiring diagram from a Nissan service manual for the different models to easily match them up...

THEN......

IF IT WERE DOING THIS.... I would do this with the LEAST DESTRUCTIVE manner possible. I would NOT CUT any wires. I would get two of the headlight plugs.... 1 - A plug of the old Halogen headlight (which would plug into the car wiring of my car) and 2 - A plug which would plug into the NEW LED headlight (or the same as the donor car's original wiring plug) .

Then you can make a pigtail which will directly plug in the new headlight into the your old car. Non-destructive, and instantly reversible to use your old Halogens back in the future.....

powersurge said:
IF IT WERE DOING THIS.... I would do this with the LEAST DESTRUCTIVE manner possible. I would NOT CUT any wires. I would get two of the headlight plugs.... 1 - A plug of the old Halogen headlight (which would plug into the car wiring of my car) and 2 - A plug which would plug into the NEW LED headlight (or the same as the donor car's original wiring plug) .

Then you can make a pigtail which will directly plug in the new headlight into the your old car. Non-destructive, and instantly reversible to use your old Halogens back in the future.....

My thoughts exactly but the ballast for the LEDs is throwing me for a loop as the power feeds into the ballast before exiting and feeding the 2 LED bulbs. In a previous thread it was mentioned that with the LEDs when the high beams are on both lights are lit but on a halogen car like mine only the high beam is on. In this instance it he used power off of the parking lights to enable both LEDs to remain lit.

So what it confusing me is there is only 2 wires going in to the ballast , it appears 1 is power and the other is a ground? So how do I run 2 different power wires into the ballast?

In regard to the pigtail not sure if I could order these from Nissan and the harnesses are not accessible unless the headlights are removed so trying get them at a junk yard would be an issue .

Let me know if you think looking at photos of the wiring harnesses would be helpful to attach to this thread and I will post them.

Thanks for your insight.

LED lights shouldn't need ballasts. HID (high-intensity discharge) lights use ballasts but LED's should need nothing but a current regulator. Halogens require a (nominal) 12V voltage source and operate like any incandescent light. LED's require a specified amount of current to operate. HID's require a ballast to ignite/start.

goldbrick said:
LED lights shouldn't need ballasts. HID (high-intensity discharge) lights use ballasts but LED's should need nothing but a current regulator. Halogens require a (nominal) 12V voltage source and operate like any incandescent light. LED's require a specified amount of current to operate. HID's require a ballast to ignite/start.

Thanks for the clarification. It looked similar to the ballast in another car I owned with HID headlights.

I guess now I understand why people say that the high beams are not that great. It is not connected to the voltage regulator, so I assume it is a halogen bulb?

I did more investigating inside of the LED headlight and found several additional wires inside that did not appear to connect to a harness or a bulb.

I removed the 3 screws holding the regulator in and discovered wires coming out of the back. These went to the smaller (lower) bulb LED and also appeared to attach to a internal component with a large heat sink.

So the 4 wires connected to the top of the regulator are most likely ground and power. And those out the bottom are the regulated current that feed the LED bulb.

Check out the link to photos below :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FrhgrvENkjtUNemZA

Hi im stuck in the same boat did you manage to get them to work, if so coulyyou explain how you did the wiring?

Thanks in advance

I wonder if the extra wires are for the motorized low beam adjustment like I have on my 2012 Leaf?

There is an adjustment dial on the dash to the left side of the steering wheel by the traction control and steering wheel heater switch.

I'm going to attempt to install a 2013 SL headlight housing into a 2014 S model. Sounds like the same issue.

The height adjustment motor wiring plug is the same and that just plugged in as it should its the grey plug coming from car side and going into the black plug on the new OEM LED Headlights is the one that im stuck with

interested in the lamps, but I'm in Hungary - do you think its doable [slow freight would be fine ....]

TIA

T

damn. I will never give up my LEDS I got 2 sets for around $100 a pair. the prices today are insane!

sadly my 16 did not come with LED's

my issue is NOT wanting to cut the harness. but the plugs are "NOT" the same. what I need is a SET of plugs and wires for both so I can make an adapter. I would lose the ability to adjust their beam angle but hoping I can somehow do that manually ??

maybe once I get moved I will dig into that again. I had originally gotten 2 sets so I could convert my nissan quest to LED and my geo metro to LED

but now one set will go into the leaf once I get around to finding/sourcing the plugs and trying to figure it out.

anyone have wiring schema for them? the LED headlights have more contacts in the plug than the simpler halogens.

Hi. In small car accident i had broken my 2014 leaf (S trim) halogen head lamps. It was perfect moment to change my headlamps to LED. I got pair of them for 580EUR. My wiring diagram and result attached in image.

hgRdOkhh.jpg

vNEZewqh.png

f6gmbaYh.jpg

PJ9TXKkh.jpg

stdio said:
Hi. In small car accident i had broken my 2014 leaf (S trim) halogen head lamps. It was perfect moment to change my headlamps to LED. I got pair of them for 580EUR. My wiring diagram and result attached in image.

vNEZewqh.png

Hi Mate,

Your diagram doesn't match the actual photo of the connector. Is a diagram from another car? There are noo such wire colours.

Back