garsh
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 am

lemketron wrote:Why not just order the actual camera used on the SL? I'm guessing it's too expensive?
Somebody looked up the price: $466.

Compared to < $30 for a simple camera.

edit: I just looked it up on Nissan Parts Warehouse.
  • Handle (with camera housing): $91.68
  • Camera: $466.06
A wee bit pricey.
2012 Black SV, 8 bars, 96,000 miles

Ramius83
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022865

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:30 am

lemketron wrote:Why not just order the actual camera used on the SL? I'm guessing it's too expensive?

Too bad Nissan didn't offer that as a dealer-installable option for the SV.


The SL OEM camera, my cost, is over $400, plus that hatch handle cover piece. So for almost $500, it just wasn't feasible. I didn't want the SL because the lease agreement would have been almost $100 more a month, and over the 2 year lease it the SL would have cost me almost $2400 more. So for less than $100, I got an almost OEM reverse camera.

Our dealership is now offering this service to all SV owners. However, being in Georgia and Leafs are very very far and few, I will probably never do one again lol. But oh well, at least I figured it out and posted some pics and instructions for everyone else.

User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9483
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 am

Ramius83 wrote:Our dealership is now offering this service to all SV owners. However, being in Georgia and Leafs are very very far and few, I will probably never do one again lol. But oh well, at least I figured it out and posted some pics and instructions for everyone else.


Nice mod. A bit beyond my own technical abilities, but nice all the same. Thanks for posting.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 74,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

User avatar
ksnogas2112
Posts: 1216
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021881
Location: Lenexa KS (Kansas City)
Contact: Website

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am

That is so awesome! Very nice. And that also explains why I was willing to pay the extra $2k. When I buy a table at Ikea the end result is kindling.
Tom in KS
100 Mile Club-#57
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Try reading a book, it's a novel experience
MY 2012 - Cayenne Red-45,000+ miles

asinclair
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 000302
Location: Novato and San Francisco, California

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 pm

I am going to do this upgrade over the weekend, I just received my Jensen JCAM1 camera I bought on EBAY for $24.95 including shipping. It is adjustable, so the picture should clear the underside of the handle a bit better (I am going to mount it in the same space you did)...

Thanks for the great instructions!
Leaf SOLD 2/2015, now driving Mercedes B Class
Cayenne Red 2011 Leaf SV, no QC, purchased
As of 2/5/2015: [66,000 miles] [10 bars]
Tires replaced at 30,000 miles with Michelin MXV4's (much better handling, slight reduction in range)

Ramius83
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022865

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am

asinclair wrote:I am going to do this upgrade over the weekend, I just received my Jensen JCAM1 camera I bought on EBAY for $24.95 including shipping. It is adjustable, so the picture should clear the underside of the handle a bit better (I am going to mount it in the same space you did)...

Thanks for the great instructions!


Well good luck. If you have any questions or comments, please ask away.......

FLBoy
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am
Delivery Date: 03 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 15610
Location: SW Florida

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Ramius, thanks for an excellent upgrade how-to. I have to ask, however, where do those wires initially connected to terminals 56, 59 and 60 go on the SV? Is it possible that they go exactly the same place they go on the SL? In other words, could one simply fish them out of the hatch cover and connect them to the video output of a newly purchased non-OEM rear-view camera (plus grounding terminal 56 to activate the reverse camera)? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you verify that the wires connected to the Telematics C/U terminals do not go all the way to the rear hatch cover? It's not unusual for car manufacturers to use the same wiring harnesses on different models to simplify assembly. If they did do that, if would be a piece of cake to add a rear-view camera to the SV. Inquiring minds want to know, although I'm guessing this probably would be too good to be true.

Ramius83
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022865

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:17 pm

FLBoy wrote:Ramius, thanks for an excellent upgrade how-to. I have to ask, however, where do those wires initially connected to terminals 56, 59 and 60 go on the SV? Is it possible that they go exactly the same place they go on the SL? In other words, could one simply fish them out of the hatch cover and connect them to the video output of a newly purchased non-OEM rear-view camera (plus grounding terminal 56 to activate the reverse camera)? I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you verify that the wires connected to the Telematics C/U terminals do not go all the way to the rear hatch cover? It's not unusual for car manufacturers to use the same wiring harnesses on different models to simplify assembly. If they did do that, if would be a piece of cake to add a rear-view camera to the SV. Inquiring minds want to know, although I'm guessing this probably would be too good to be true.


No insult taken. I thought the same thing while I was doing mine. I actually didn't expect to see this wiring there at the Telematics connector, as the other models I have worked with didn't have the wiring. I know for a fact that the wiring is not located in the hatch. There were no left over plugs in the hatch paneling anywhere, I looked. I also checked the wiring harness going through the grommet to the hatch and these wires were not there. Best I could think is that the wiring may terminate in the SMJs (super multiple junctions) at the lower left/right kick panels under the dash. SL and SV models may have the same dash wiring harness, but probably have different body harnesses, but I did not check into this nor verify this. At this point, the electronic wiring diagrams that Nissan came out with for other models on the Nissan ASSIST still do not exist for the Leaf, so I can not trace this wiring from the dash to the rear without tearing apart the whole car, which I am not going to do, especially since mine is a leased model. Thanks for the inquiry.....

FLBoy
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am
Delivery Date: 03 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 15610
Location: SW Florida

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for a very thorough response. I guess Nissan didn't want to make it too easy for those of us who wanted a rear view camera but didn't think the SL upgrade was worth the price!

asinclair
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:00 pm
Delivery Date: 05 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 000302
Location: Novato and San Francisco, California

Re: How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telema

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 am

Ramius,

I attempted this upgrade yesterday and failed miserably. I started by tapping into the wires on the connector and connecting the rca cable (at this point I did not have the backup camera installed). When I started the car, I got an "i-key" failure warning and the headlights flashed.

I was hoping to see the screen turn blank waiting for a camera input when I put it in reverse, but it did not work...

I got spooked and ended up reversing all of the changes I made.

When looking at the plug connector, the wires to be tapped are on the right-hand side (looking at the pins) with the connector snap-in on top, correct?

I think I am going to give this up before I screw up my wiring any further.

Andrew
Leaf SOLD 2/2015, now driving Mercedes B Class
Cayenne Red 2011 Leaf SV, no QC, purchased
As of 2/5/2015: [66,000 miles] [10 bars]
Tires replaced at 30,000 miles with Michelin MXV4's (much better handling, slight reduction in range)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”