TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Re: Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:39 pm

The 2011 and 2012 do no work that way.
The thread is about a cost effective fix for the grossly defective design that Nissan has no interest in fixing.
Bad design :?:
Sorry, Nissan's response even to a funded LEAF Advisory Board is that is the unfortunate customer's problem :roll:

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Ninjarider1978 wrote:Hey everyone, am I wrong to believe this thread is about running the fan only in defrost mode while the car is running? If that is the case then I can say that my 2015 S model will do that with no modifications. Simply have the climate control off, then adjust fan speed with the dial. This puts the fan on without AC or heater. Then press the mode button a few times until the defrost indicator is lit. It is lit at the same time as the vent for the feet. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding what this thread is about. Good night!

Have you done this test after leaving you LEAF outside in the freezing cold? In our 2011s turning on the fan even with the AC off will cause there to be energy used by the heater when it's cold out.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:05 am

Ninjarider1978 wrote:Hey everyone, am I wrong to believe this thread is about running the fan only in defrost mode while the car is running? If that is the case then I can say that my 2015 S model will do that with no modifications. Simply have the climate control off, then adjust fan speed with the dial. This puts the fan on without AC or heater. Then press the mode button a few times until the defrost indicator is lit. It is lit at the same time as the vent for the feet. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding what this thread is about. Good night!

This thread harkens back to the 2011/2012 Leafs, which had no "heater off" button. With our cars, you cannot run the fan only if the outside temperature is below 60F, regardless of the mode setting. To make matters worse, all of our cars have the inefficient resistance heater. So just to move a little air inside the car, when it's below 60F outside (6+ months of the year, here) requires firing up the 6kW heater each and every time.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:13 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:

This thread harkens back to the 2011/2012 Leafs, which had no "heater off" button. With our cars, you cannot run the fan only if the outside temperature is below 60F, regardless of the mode setting. To make matters worse, all of our cars have the inefficient resistance heater. So just to move a little air inside the car, when it's below 60F outside (6+ months of the year, here) requires firing up the 6kW heater each and every time.

It doesn't sound like S models have a heater off button either. They also have similar heaters as our cars so I would be surprised if this isn't a problem for them as well, unless Nissan has decided that at 60 degrees you really don't want the heat to run even if it's 50.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:36 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:

Also, if it weren't for the loud complaints by early LEAF owners Nissan might not have added the heater-off button on 2013 and newer LEAFs. If drivers of newer LEAFs like being able to use the CC system with the heater off, as opposed to wasting energy, you might want to thank the LEAF early adopters.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:50 pm

TorC wrote:... I will provide a simple "youtube" video on how to install the cable kit shortly after I have received it.

Torj.

Are you still waiting for delivery of the first kits from your supplier?

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

pncguy
Delivery Date: 23 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 335105

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:

Also, if it weren't for the loud complaints by early LEAF owners Nissan might not have added the heater-off button on 2013 and newer LEAFs. If drivers of newer LEAFs like being able to use the CC system with the heater off, as opposed to wasting energy, you might want to thank the LEAF early adopters.

No further prompting needed: THANK YOU, LEAF early adopters! I read these threads early and couldn't understand the need for all the fuss. Then I realized it was all different in my 2015. I REALLY appreciate the feedback that you gave Nissan.

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:This thread harkens back to the 2011/2012 Leafs, which had no "heater off" button. With our cars, you cannot run the fan only if the outside temperature is below 60F, regardless of the mode setting.

To double check, that should be cabin temperature of below 60F, right? Because 60F is the lowest you can set the target cabin temperature to?

Cheers, Wayne

EVerlasting
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 017329

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:08 pm

TimLee wrote:
TorC wrote:... I will provide a simple "youtube" video on how to install the cable kit shortly after I have received it.

Torj.

I ordered the kit from Torc (Torj) on Oct 24. Haven't received it yet. I PMed Torc if he shipped it yet, but no response yet. I will update this thread if and when I receive the kit and install it.
2012 Nissan Leaf SL|25,000 miles
Weekly charging using public CHAdeMO station 7 miles from my condo apartment and occasional charging using EVSEupgrade L2 240v 12 amps. 11 capacity bars

leafkabob
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 1827

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:27 pm

EVerlasting wrote:
TimLee wrote:

Torj.

I ordered the kit from Torc (Torj) on Oct 24. Haven't received it yet. I PMed Torc if he shipped it yet, but no response yet. I will update this thread if and when I receive the kit and install it.

He said shipping would be:
Be aware that shipping will be primo nov to mid nov. 2015.
Kelly

2011 White SL-e (sold back to Nissan on 01/10/2013)
2011Silver SL with new lizard battery purchased used on 9/9/2015

Return to “Accessories / Mods”