EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Re: Easy Climate Control Fan-Only Solution - 5 cents, 5 mins

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm

thankyouOB wrote:
garsh wrote:
thankyouOB wrote:i turn on the fan without the heater by doing this.
press auto
press AC to turn it off
adjust fan as desired

heater is not on.

Dude, you live in LA. ;)
If it's 50° F or lower, the heater starts up if you have the fan on at all, even with the temperature setting at the lowest (60°).

ha!
oh, you mean it starts up when you need heat?

I had a car full of people the other day. It was a chilly and sunny 45 degrees that morning. After we ate brunch out we walked back to the car, which had been sitting in the sun for a few hours. Outside temp was still around 45 and the cars inside temp was well above 70 because it had been sitting in the sun. I turned Mode to blow air without Auto/AC on and temp set to lowest level of 60... even with no lights illuminated, the car still fired up the heater - I presume to get the outside temp up to 60 degrees before having it enter the cabin.

I want to do the deluxe version but need to find someone who had the experience. I really appreciate the writeup - thanks!
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

aminorjourney

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:24 am

Can I just check if there are any particular power ratings on the components you've listed? Any specific wattage of resistor?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Editor, co-founder, transportevolved.com
Mom, Troublemaker.

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 am

aminorjourney wrote:Can I just check if there are any particular power ratings on the components you've listed? Any specific wattage of resistor?

thinking its just signal voltage so pretty small one would probably do. i notice the range is pretty large i am guessing to compensate for ambient temperature differences?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 pm

This is a clever idea that I would never thought of. Since I have no mosfet's on hand I used a CD4016B CMOS IC.

Everyone that builds things has their own preferred method of construction but to me space wiring is like fingernails on a blackboard! I mounted the circuit on a small vector board. It seems to work really well and it cost me nothing. Even buying the parts would be well under five dollars.

2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:12 pm

EricBayArea, I first built the circuit using an NTE490. The unit did nothing! Over the years I have found NTE is hit or miss. I have no doubt it world work fine with the proper part but I just decided to use the other approach.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

BetterLeaf

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Very interesting. Can you post pix of these pipes? Sound like an ready step most of us can take easily

If you look at the two pictures that I posted at the beginning of this thread you can see the pipes. On the second one you can see the non-existent insulation.
I will try to post better pictures shortly.

BetterLeaf

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm

jclemens wrote:This is awesome!! Thanks so much for posting this, I have been planning for some time to put a switch on the cabin temperature sensor for some time, but I havn't gotten around to it. I am so glad there is another circuit bender who is willing to share information here! I'd bet you are the type to upgrade your own EVSE (or build openEVSE)

Thanks and yes I've designed and built two different low cost EVSE. More on that later. :-)

BetterLeaf

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm

aminorjourney wrote:Can I just check if there are any particular power ratings on the components you've listed? Any specific wattage of resistor?

The one with the "highest" power will be R1 here 1/8 of a watt will do. The rest can be almost anything.

BetterLeaf

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:20 pm

GlennD wrote:This is a clever idea that I would never thought of. Since I have no mosfet's on hand I used a CD4016B CMOS IC.

Awesome implementation!!!! I'm loving this!

BetterLeaf

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 am

I did a quick experiment. Preheated the car for about 10 mins. Outside temp was around 26F.

Here are some pictures that I took with a thermal imaging camera. All from the driver's side perspective.

Upper left shows the center vents where the warm air blows out at about 91F. (You can also see the heated steering wheel)

The other pictures show the engine compartment.

Upper right shows the primary hot spot. That's the junction where the heater fluid sensor is located. No insulation!
You can also see the "quality" of the insulation that reduces the temp by about 17F. OK, it is better than nothing.

Bottom left picture follows the pipe where the sensor is to the left. It focuses next to the clip where the two pipes are held in place.

Bottom right shows the heater fluid tank close to the drivers side head lamp. In blue you can see the cap. It shows the temps in degree Celsius but with 100F it is just as hot as the sensor location.

Here are some regular photos that show the approximate angle the thermal images.

I have not had enough time to double-check this but from the service manual and initial inspection the flow of heater fluid passes through the heater electric water pump, PTC element heater, heater fluid sensor, heater core which warms the air, heater fluid tank and then returns to the heater electric water pump.

OK, that's it. I don't know about you but I feel the sudden urge to visit my favorite hardware store.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”