GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Only disadvantage to lithium is cost (assuming you get a high-quality one with adequate AHr capacity). Lithium batteries also have low internal resistance which allows them to absorb energy quickly.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm

GerryAZ wrote:Only disadvantage to lithium is cost (assuming you get a high-quality one with adequate AHr capacity). Lithium batteries also have low internal resistance which allows them to absorb energy quickly.

Lithium batteries that consist of more than one cell need a BMS, unlike lead batteries, and the BMS is often the reason for premature failure.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

mnl
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2017

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:07 pm

would it be sufficient to connect to the bms say once a month or does it need to be connected constantly?

i just found out my 12V battery was installed in december 2014 at around 29k km and im at around 65k km i believe. while im driving, voltage seems to hang out around 12.8V. i was expecting the voltage to be 13V+ so its close, but not sure when i should start to worry. from reading a bit on here, it seems that the car would operate fine to even lower voltage levels. true? or is it time to start worrying now lol

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 pm

The voltage of the 12-volt battery while driving is the output voltage of the DC-DC converter. Check the voltage of the 12-volt battery at its terminals with the car off and at least 5 minutes after closing doors to get an accurate measurement.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:41 am

mnl wrote:would it be sufficient to connect to the bms say once a month or does it need to be connected constantly?

i just found out my 12V battery was installed in december 2014 at around 29k km and im at around 65k km i believe. while im driving, voltage seems to hang out around 12.8V. i was expecting the voltage to be 13V+ so its close, but not sure when i should start to worry. from reading a bit on here, it seems that the car would operate fine to even lower voltage levels. true? or is it time to start worrying now lol

I can't believe how much confusion persists regarding the 12v battery in the Leaf...and Lithium replacements.
The BMS is integrated into (good) 12v Lithium replacement batteries, so there's nothing to "connect". That's why (good) Lithium replacements are more expensive: you get what you pay for.
@GerryAZ pretty much outlined the only dis-advantage to 12v Lithium replacements; the BMS is basically a bunch of electronics and has little to do with failure rates, which are much lower than standard lead-acid (I don't know anyone who hasn't had to replace their 12v battery in every car they own).
All sorts of strange things can happen to a Leaf with a low 12v battery, including (obviously) it won't start. I don't recommend leaving a marginal 12v battery in a Leaf, which is why I replaced mine (as mentioned in the OP) over 4 years ago with no issues.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 am

mnl wrote:my understanding was that the panel on the spoiler is basically a constant trickle charger for the 12v battery when the car is off, which i hoped would keep it topped off and thus not require as much capacity. what would you consider a minimum capacity?

thanks!

I've been running a 5Ah LiFe motorcycle starting battery for over 6 months now. Used it when temperatures were below 0F and above 100F. So far it has not been an issue at all and works like normally. Once I drove the maximum range of the car and then QCed, and then drove the full range again and parked in my driveway without plugging it in. It was over 100F that day and I was using the AC on max and I could hear the cooling fans going after parking the car. About an hour after I got home I went to move the car 10ft so I could plug it in but it did the christmas tree dashboard low battery thing. I only had to use a jump pack for two seconds and then the car started up right away. The LiFe's BMS has a low voltage cut off and no harm was done. Since then I have not had that issue happen again, but I drive the car nearly every day/plug it in every night. I would not suggest such a small battery for someone who rarely drives the car or who goes days on end without the need to plug in.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

Return to “Accessories / Mods”