Evoforce
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015
Location: Fountain Hills Arizona

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:16 am

It is a good battery. I run that in my EV.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

RichCapeCod
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:38 am
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2017
Location: AZ/Cape Cod

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Very interesting and informative thread. Read the whole dang thing!!

Most of my batteries last between four and six years (all in ICE vehicles). I had one anomoly, a Mazda Miata in which I replaced my AGM battery after NINE YEARS!! And it was still working but I figured, nah, it’s gotta die any day now. The battery used in the Miata was the very same size battery which was used in my BMW R1100R motorcycle.

Not sure if this is the exact battery mentioned in this thread for $150 dollars. Found it on Amazon for $115:
Shorai LifeP04, Power Sports Battery / 12V 10-14(Ah) 240 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA):

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-12V-10-1 ... ts+battery

Here’s a Battery Tender model, which is larger capacity, $210 dollars:

Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery / (12V, 26-35Ah, 480 ICA, 102.4 Watt Hrs.)

-- Caution: Quite a few reviewers report poor customer service from Battery Tender! --

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-B ... ts+battery

Rich

PS

To drive everyone just a bit crazier, here's what popped-up on Amazon for "lithium car battery"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... MK9N7AYWTS

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm

RichCapeCod wrote:Very interesting and informative thread. Read the whole dang thing!!

Most of my batteries last between four and six years (all in ICE vehicles). I had one anomoly, a Mazda Miata in which I replaced my AGM battery after NINE YEARS!! And it was still working but I figured, nah, it’s gotta die any day now. The battery used in the Miata was the very same size battery which was used in my BMW R1100R motorcycle.

Not sure if this is the exact battery mentioned in this thread for $150 dollars. Found it on Amazon for $115:
Shorai LifeP04, Power Sports Battery / 12V 10-14(Ah) 240 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA):

https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-12V-10-1 ... ts+battery

Here’s a Battery Tender model, which is larger capacity, $210 dollars:

Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery / (12V, 26-35Ah, 480 ICA, 102.4 Watt Hrs.)

-- Caution: Quite a few reviewers report poor customer service from Battery Tender! --

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-B ... ts+battery

Rich

PS

To drive everyone just a bit crazier, here's what popped-up on Amazon for "lithium car battery"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... MK9N7AYWTS


Rich,
You need to look carefully at the ratings. Those batteries are advertised as equivalent to certain AHr rating based upon CCA. In reality, they are only about 8 AHr or less actual capacity so they would likely be insufficient to power the residual loads in the LEAF while parked for a few days.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:58 am

^ ^ ^ THIS

I can promise you that any LiFePO4 12v battery for < $200 either won't work in the Leaf or is of poor quality (no BMS, etc.)
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

VitaminJ
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775
Location: Morrison, CO
Contact: YouTube

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 am

I'm still rocking my Tattu LiFe 5Ah motorcycle battery for almost a full year now and 20k miles. Starts every day I've gone on vacation and left it for 10 days twice once plugged in and once not plugged in and neither time I had an issue starting up and driving to work the next morning. Was $110 on Amazon. Includes a BMS, over voltage protection, and low-voltage cutoff.

Keep spreading misinformation based on conjecture without any experience though ;)

e: Holy crap this battery is down to $89 on Amazon clearance! Wow. Of course it's under $200 so it won't work, right guys? :mrgreen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J9 ... UTF8&psc=1
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4508
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:47 pm

VitaminJ wrote:I'm still rocking my Tattu LiFe 5Ah motorcycle battery for almost a full year now and 20k miles. Starts every day I've gone on vacation and left it for 10 days twice once plugged in and once not plugged in and neither time I had an issue starting up and driving to work the next morning. Was $110 on Amazon. Includes a BMS, over voltage protection, and low-voltage cutoff.

Keep spreading misinformation based on conjecture without any experience though ;)

e: Holy crap this battery is down to $89 on Amazon clearance! Wow. Of course it's under $200 so it won't work, right guys? :mrgreen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J9 ... UTF8&psc=1


You were right on the razor's edge, assuming a 20mA dark current. I'd recommend at least 20AH capacity (true capacity not "Pb equivalent") to account for higher parasitic loads, longer vacations and emergency situations.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

RichCapeCod
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:38 am
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2017
Location: AZ/Cape Cod

Re: Replaced 12v Lead with 12v Lithium

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:09 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
RichCapeCod wrote:.............

Rich,
You need to look carefully at the ratings. Those batteries are advertised as equivalent to certain AHr rating based upon CCA. In reality, they are only about 8 AHr or less actual capacity so they would likely be insufficient to power the residual loads in the LEAF while parked for a few days.


Gerry, thanks for clarifying the data. For the record, in your view, is there any lithium based battery which might be of value for use in an EV?

Rich

Return to “Accessories / Mods”