mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: LED Shift Knob "How-to"

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 am

cra wrote:I got mine on Biltema (http://biltema.no), but I don't suppose you have that where you live. I'm sure you have a lot of similar shops, though. I got the kind of mats that is originally intended for sound proofing for the tank (it doesn't take much, one small plate is enough). It has an adhesive coating on one side, and a reflective aluminium coating/film on the other. It was about half an inch thick.

Ah, I know the kind of thing you mean. We have the brand Dynamat here. I hadn't thought of using it as an insulation.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 71,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

ASP
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2013

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Very cool! Nissan should install these themselves on the LEAF. It'd be a another neat element to add to the interior.

aminorjourney

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 am

mwalsh wrote:I've just discovered that the LEDs don't dim with the rest of the dash/console lighting, which I suppose I should have expected. It's only a slight bummer though, and I'm still pretty stoked about the mod. But it's something you should expect and weigh-up in your decision to move forward.

Besides, I don't dim my Gidometer anyway. Or at least I haven't. Except that I just this weekend got Gary's firmware update to allow it.

I'm guessing you could always get slightly dimmer LEDs? I have a feeling that the controls for the windows etc don't dim and brighten with the main console, although I might be wrong.

cra wrote:Great job, and thanks a lot for sharing!

A suggestion for a mod to be done while those covers are lifted anyway would be to add 12V/USB outlet(s) inside the armrest compartment, and on the rear of the console for those passengers that want to plug in and charge their <favourite device>. :)

The geek in me thinks about how an arduino could be used for dimming the light, and perhaps somehow use it to indicate "something". Like blinking if a charging station is nearby, if the battery is running low, or something else. :idea:

I have done a few mods (and also created some tutorials myself) on my Think City, and it's always great to be able to share with others. No mods on the Leaf yet, except from insulating the water reservoir for the heater. I'll make the mod for disabling the heating element soon, though, and I think this one might be next in line! I'll probaly have to add some sort of hidden "WAF-switch" (Wife Acceptance Factor), though. :lol:

I quite like the idea of using the LED ring to indicate SOC.....
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

Editor, co-founder, transportevolved.com
Mom, Troublemaker.

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

mwalsh

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:22 am

As a follow up to my first post, I wanted to add a footnote when it comes to those bolts that hold the shift tower in place. Or, more precisely, the captured nuts within the tower.

Well, it seems like they aren't so much captured as loose-ish in a slot. So be sure you don't loose one or more while you're fiddling with the tower. One of mine dropped out this time, while I had the tower out again for fitting the heated seat kit wiring. Somewhat surprised it didn't happen while I was doing my mod, considering how much more I was moving the tower around (from car to garage and back).
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:59 am

cra wrote:The geek in me thinks about how an arduino could be used for dimming the light, and perhaps somehow use it to indicate "something". Like blinking if a charging station is nearby, if the battery is running low, or something else. :idea:

Different colors for different drive modes :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

mwalsh

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:32 am

Hmm...check this out. This is one of the autonomous LEAFs. I saw them during the day with the lights off, but it sorta looks like maybe they've come around on this idea. May be a bit bright though. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

mwalsh

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Uh, oh. One of my LEDs has developed a short, and goes out when I rock the shifter forward. Guess I'll be going back in to sort it out.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

Maaz
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2013

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 am

god i wish all the cars came like this, looks so much better.

jboman32768
Delivery Date: 14 Mar 2013

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:00 am

mwalsh wrote: One of mine dropped out this time, while I had the tower out again for fitting the heated seat kit wiring. Somewhat surprised it didn't happen while I was doing my mod, considering how much more I was moving the tower around (from car to garage and back).

Were you able to retrieve it? I tried this mod myself tonight. I did get the shift tower completely out, but I dropped one of the Phillips screws in the process :( I heard it bounce several times on its way down into the depths of the car. I found I could not resemble the shift tower without completely removing the electronics box from the wiring loom. Getting the main wiring loom plug back into the already assembled shift tower was almost impossible.. Almost.

I ran out of time and had to reassemble without putting the LEDs in - but taking that thing apart is too much like a high stakes poker game to me.

Note to anyone who tries this - you cant reassemble this the same way you got it apart!

J.

mwalsh

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:25 am

I didn't loose a screw. Actually I didn't loose a captured nut either (which is what you're quoting me on above), although the potential is definitely there.

I tend towards screwdrivers with magnetic tips for most jobs, especially when the potential for fastener loss exists.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.