pchilds
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 006141

Re: Spare Tire Mod

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:16 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thinking seriously to buy a portable jump starter rather than jumper cables - lots of choices on Amazon.

If you are concerned about weight and/or space, all you need is a 7+ AH UPS battery, and a little set of alligator clips to plug into it. Wrap it up in bubble wrap, and you have a "jump starter" that weighs less than half as much.

I tried that and the alligator clips melted.

2011 LEAF, gone,
2012 RAV4 EV,
2015 Model S 85D,
Solar PV 5.25 kW system.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm

They were too small. I suggest the kind that come as a pigtail and plug into a battery maintainer lead (Battery Tender Jr. or Diehard). They are already designed for the job.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Yep! LOL

Added some more updates to my Mod website today: www.SALsLEAF.com

tszukow wrote:Lasareath- for sure you can tell people around that your Leaf is "Fully loaded" model.
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

LeftieBiker

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 pm

I finished up the spare tire setup yesterday evening, in preparation for an EV show this Saturday. I attached dark grey foam pipe wrap to all the sides of the false floor, then stapled it (the wrap) in place. I also added a support piece for the 'trap door' on the left, so it lays flat, and gave it a rope handle to make it easy to open. I'm told that my Leaf will be the only one at the show with a spare. I'll take pictures then.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

WyrTwister
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2016

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm

What spare did you buy ? What car was it from ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

LeftieBiker

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:31 pm

WyrTwister wrote:What spare did you buy ? What car was it from ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

This post was couple of years old. I bought the spare on Ebay, and I don't recall the year/model. I will note that it turned to to be slightly too large (inflated) for the tire to clear the Bose sub-woofer, as installed. I didn't mention the details?

EDIT: The spare is for an Altima, but I don't remember what year.

WyrTwister
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2016

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:11 am

I think I may have found an Altama donut spare on ebay .

My leaf is a 2012 w/o Boise .

Thanks. , :-)
Wyr
God bless

Scaramanga
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 308884

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 am

djjazzy wrote:I wanted a way to carry a spare tire in the car, and have an easy way to take it all out if necessary. No way I was gonna put that fix a flat stuff into the flat tire. Got a spare on Ebay along with the jack, all for $110. I figure if I have to use it once, it's worth the 110 bucks. But having the spare in the cargo area made putting things in the trunk a bit unstable, due to the tire being in there. Had to come up with a nicer looking and workable plan. And here it is.... the False Floor Cargo Mod. Under the false floor, I now can store the spare tire, the jack, wrench, emergency tools, and of course the Nissan 120V EVSE, (which I use every day to charge at work)
Here are some pics of how it looks.

Plenty of room for the tire and a bunch of other stuff too!

I know this is an old post but I really like what you did here, I plan on the same thing. Is your spare a 16" and does it match your rims?
2016 SL Premium - Gunmetal Grey, built 2/2016
2014 S w/ QC - Cayenne Red, built 1/2014
EVSE: ChargePoint 25 32A Plug-In w/ 18' Cord
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
'06 Sentra Compact Spare / Jack
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD
VW / Audi / Volvo ex-aficionado

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Sun May 28, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks!, I don't recall 100%, in one of the pages of this post I list the exact sizes of what spare you should buy based on which LEAF wheels you have. The Steel wheels / 2011 Aluminum wheel have a different diameter than the 2013 and up SL 17" wheels

Sal Cameli

Scaramanga wrote:
djjazzy wrote:I wanted a way to carry a spare tire in the car, and have an easy way to take it all out if necessary. No way I was gonna put that fix a flat stuff into the flat tire. Got a spare on Ebay along with the jack, all for $110. I figure if I have to use it once, it's worth the 110 bucks. But having the spare in the cargo area made putting things in the trunk a bit unstable, due to the tire being in there. Had to come up with a nicer looking and workable plan. And here it is.... the False Floor Cargo Mod. Under the false floor, I now can store the spare tire, the jack, wrench, emergency tools, and of course the Nissan 120V EVSE, (which I use every day to charge at work)
Here are some pics of how it looks.

Plenty of room for the tire and a bunch of other stuff too!

I know this is an old post but I really like what you did here, I plan on the same thing. Is your spare a 16" and does it match your rims?
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

Return to “Accessories / Mods”