Great!

Can it be done same way for MY2012?

jelloslug
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2013

Re: Button reorganization

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Den wrote:Great!

Can it be done same way for MY2012?

I don't see why not. I know the buttons are slightly different on the 11' & 12' models but it should be similar.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:55 pm

jelloslug wrote:
Yogi62 wrote:Brilliant!

Having the steering wheel heater light where it is visible is how it should have been to start with.

Yea, Nissan rearranged them on the '14s

Which is worrisome. If the heater worked appropriately, there would be little need for an indicator light. You could operate the switch by feel, and know whether or not it was on. But since the heater inexplicably goes into dormancy for extended periods (or just turn itself off altogether), the light is there to answer the question: "Is this thing on"?

So my concern is that Nissan decided to rearrange the switches because they don't intend to fix their stupid wheel heat design.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

jelloslug

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Updated the first post with new pics.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:43 pm

That's just what I needed. Thanks again.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

LeftieBiker

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

I took advantage of a warmup to near-freezing temps for a few hours this morning to do the button swap. It didn't go nearly as well as I had hoped, although I did get it done, and didn't break anything... A warning for those in cold climates: the plastic clips Nissan uses to retain the button assemblies in the holder have two big problems: cold makes them very hard to release (although happily they don't get very brittle), and by using them top *and* bottom, Nissan guarantees a difficult time for one person with no experience with them, at least in the cold. I ended up having to insert little nails as shims, to hold the bottom clips open while opening the top clips, and it was still a major PITA. There is a learning curve involved, because the second button only took a fraction as long as the first, but I was still too wary to rearrange all four buttons, which had been my plan. I was going to swap the charge port lock button and charge hatch release buttons as well, but ended up just doing the wheel heater and timer override button swap.

Oh, and getting the right lower side of the dash to open was so difficult in the cold that I almost gave up on it, fearing it would break or crack. It required a lot of pulling on the area under the hood release, where the screw has to be removed, to get it open. It's amazing how many Just Plain Stupid things Nissan did with the Leaf's final design.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

jelloslug

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Well, at least you got it to work. Warmer temps would have helped as the lower panel would have been much more flexible. I'm sure it would be easier to just remove the entire lower panel but it looks to me like you need to remove the forward part of the center console to get it off and when I did mine I was already cold and did not feel like taking even more stuff apart.

LeftieBiker

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:06 pm

I would have balked at removing the whole panel as well. I agree that warm weather is the time to do this job, and I'll probably finish swapping the buttons in Spring or Summer*. I also want to add a fog light button, if I can find actual fog lights (yellow/amber, not that useless white) that will fit and aren't horrifically expensive.

*Now I have to get around to refurbishing that snow blower...

jelloslug

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I would have balked at removing the whole panel as well. I agree that warm weather is the time to do this job, and I'll probably finish swapping the buttons in Spring or Summer*. I also want to add a fog light button, if I can find actual fog lights (yellow/amber, not that useless white) that will fit and aren't horrifically expensive.

*Now I have to get around to refurbishing that snow blower...

Look at other Nissans, something like a Cube, Versa, or Sentra that might have a dealer installed fog light kit. Lots of those kits come with a dash button rather than a replacement main headlight switch.

LeftieBiker

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Ah, but are any of those "fog" lights actually yellow-amber? I haven't seen a factory "fog" light that would actually work in fog in years...

Return to “Accessories / Mods”