17" wheels for the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimba2

Anyone know the offset of the 2013+ 17" SL wheels?

Leafs with the 17" wheels look much better, IMHO. The 16" models have too much offset and sit too far into the wheel well. Many OEM wheels like the Nissan Juke and various Honda wheels are 45-55mm offset.

I found these for $106 each, 17x7, 40 mm offset and they actually look similar to the SL wheels. That offset will yield 6mm less clearance in the wheel well and will extend 6mm further than my stock 16s, which might be about right. They weigh 20.9 lbs, which is close to the stock 16" wheel weight.

st_t8_mba_ci3_l.jpg

For my own future reference, the SV 16" alloys are 16x6.5" with a 5x114.3 lug pattern and 40 mm offset.
Juke wheels are 17x7 and 47mm offset

The factory 17X6.5" wheels are +45mm offset. They weigh 28Lbs. I'm currently running G35 17X8's with +35mm offset lowered on blitz coilovers and they are almost perfect, the rear still isn't quite as flush as i'd like with the rear fender arch so I've got another set of wheels waiting to be installed to make it perfect. :D

knightarmor said:
The factory 17X6.5" wheels are +45mm offset. They weigh 28Lbs. I'm currently running G35 17X8's with +35mm offset lowered on blitz coilovers and they are almost perfect, the rear still isn't quite as flush as i'd like with the rear fender arch so I've got another set of wheels waiting to be installed to make it perfect. :D

Thanks for that information. I am surprised to see the SL has even more offset with the same wheel width, which would make the wheel sit even further in than an SV. To my eye it looks the opposite, but numbers don't lie.

Yes at factory ride height it's not so bad but the high offset becomes apparent after the car is lowered.

Is there any reason a 17x7 Honda wheel with a 5x114.3 lug pattern and 45mm offset won't work on a Leaf?
For reference, the 16" alloy Leaf wheels are 16x6.5 with a 40mm offset. The Honda wheels will extend out of the wheel well 1mm more than the 16" Leaf wheels, and there will be 11mm less clearance inside near the A-arm due to the 1/2" wider wheel.

I have found that Honda wheels are lighter than many of the other manufacturers, and I'm really liking the ones that come on the Civic Si.

EDIT--I just realized the Nissan Juke wheels are 17x7 with 47 mm of offset, which will have 13mm less clearance than the Leaf wheel, so obviously there shouldn't be clearance issues with the Honda wheel.

Well that didn't take long. Today I brought home some 2010 Honda Civic Si wheels. 17x7 with 45mm offset.

20140508_192003.jpg

The wheels weigh around 23 lbs each, which is about 2 lbs more than a Leaf 16" wheel, but apparently 5 pounds lighter than the 17" Leaf SL wheel.

Tires are 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's, which weigh 22 lbs each. They are not LRR tires, so I expect I may loose a tiny bit of range, but probably comparable to an SL Leaf, which has the same range an SV model.

Now I just need some Nissan stickers to cover up the Honda emblems.

Unfortunately, these are not going to work. The Nissan wheel has a beveled edge on the inside of the hub that the Honda wheel lacks. I thought about grinding a little on the Honda wheel, but decided against it.

Nissan tapered hub:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Honda wheel:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

What it would have looked like:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I can likely make money on reselling the wheels, but it's a bummer because I liked the shape of them and the offset is much more favorable than the Juke wheels. The tires were lower profile than ideal anyway...

The issue is not the bevel, the issue is the hub bore diameter, you're off by about 2mm. Take the wheels to a machine shop (minus tires) and they should be able to throw the wheels on a lathe and open up the hub bore. Last time I did this it cost about 75$.

I thought about going that route or using some 3-5mm spacers, but I think I will just sell these and pick up something else. If the tires were 50 or 55 series I would keep them, but they look a little too low profile for the Leaf. I got a great deal, so reselling them is not a problem.

I will probably go that route.

Leafmatt is running his with 215/55R17 tires, which looks well matched to the car. My 17" Honda wheels with 45 series tires looked too low profile.

img1136og.jpg

The newer Juke wheels are sharp, but sell for a lot of money.
Nissan-Juke_Shiro_2012_800x600_wallpaper_13.jpg

asimba2 said:
I will probably go that route.

Leafmatt is running his with 215/55R17 tires, which looks well matched to the car. My 17" Honda wheels with 45 series tires looked too low profile.

Just do the math on Circumference.
My setup is damn near dead on as a circumference match.

Hi guys.

In the UK our juke alloys are 7Jx17 47mm offset. PCD is the same.

Is the +7mm offset of the 40mm leaf a little too much? I really need to change these stock alloys :)

asimba2 said:
Is there any reason a 17x7 Honda wheel with a 5x114.3 lug pattern and 45mm offset won't work on a Leaf?
Yes, because the Honda wheels have a smaller 64 mm center bore and won't seat onto the LEAF's 66 mm hub. By the way, My Honda Fit EV wheels are 16.6 lbs. :)

What do the 16" LEAF alloy wheels weigh please?

Back