garsh
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them? they fit, with pics

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:27 am

minispeed wrote:SSR Compe (type C) 15inx7 9.9lbs each
Wow! That's about 9 lbs saved per corner.
It's a tight fit.
Hmmm. I guess there shouldn't be a whole lot of deflection. I would be curious if you see any evidence of rubbing after running with them for a while.

The 16" Altima wheels that I use for my snow tires have spokes that are within a couple mm's of the caliper, and I've never had a problem with them.
Altima wheels with Blizzak tires
Image
2012 Black SV w. G35 wheels, 9 bars, 85,000 miles

donald
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2013

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them? they fit, with pics

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 am

I had a Subaru that had both 15" and 16" fitments. The 15" was so close a small build up of dirt on the caliper would bridge the gap!

But the Subaru wqas homologated with a 15" rim. I tend to fit smaller rims to my cars when I buy them, both for ride comfort and that replacement tyres are usually cheaper in the higher profile sizes. However, I would only do that within the homologated sizes. Uk insurance companies get funny if you swap your rims from standard, but I figure if you stick with one of the standard rim sizes then there is no argument that it is homologated for that size.

What is the situation in the US? Could you be prosecuted, or your insurance invalid, if you use a wheel hub size that the vehicle is not specified with, or is there a 15" rim option for the Leaf already?

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them? they fit, with pics

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 pm

eglee413 wrote:Those Ssr look clean and you should gain some efficiency with a lighter rim. I gained a little going to the ce28n which are still 16in as I am just running stock tires. On this set up I am averaging 4.2-4.5 m/kw while still driving a decent 65mph.
Compared to when I had some 17x7 Work Equips, the efficiency was bad even with LRR tires I would only get 3.1-3.3.
Ley me know how those rims end up looking. I wouldn't mind running old school Jdm wheels but I think the car would sit low.
Image



Those volks are really nice! I had my eyes on some te37s from nengun but they sold in the day I was waiting to transfer money to my paypal account. I'm really happy with the look of the ssr though, and they are lighter. (te37 in 15x6.5 would be lighter but in 15x7 is more)

That color is pretty much the same that I'm doing on the kei office volks.

For both tires I'm going with a 25.5 diameter to fill it out more and have less rolling resistance. 205 65 15 and 215 50 17.
Last edited by minispeed on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them? they fit, with pics

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:39 pm

donald wrote:I had a Subaru that had both 15" and 16" fitments. The 15" was so close a small build up of dirt on the caliper would bridge the gap!

But the Subaru wqas homologated with a 15" rim. I tend to fit smaller rims to my cars when I buy them, both for ride comfort and that replacement tyres are usually cheaper in the higher profile sizes. However, I would only do that within the homologated sizes. Uk insurance companies get funny if you swap your rims from standard, but I figure if you stick with one of the standard rim sizes then there is no argument that it is homologated for that size.

What is the situation in the US? Could you be prosecuted, or your insurance invalid, if you use a wheel hub size that the vehicle is not specified with, or is there a 15" rim option for the Leaf already?


In Canada there are 0 inspections unless you transfer owners. Insurance will ask if your vehicle is modified but I've never heard of anyone having an issue if they modify it after they buy the car. If there are clearly stupid modifications the police can force you to get it checked but I've never heard of anyone having to, and I see plenty of stupid mods on cars.

Here all the regulations fall on when the car is first made / imported. There are a whole bunch of UK cars that could never be licensed here, Ariel atom and pretty much the whole UK track day industry but if you bought a lotus Elise no one would stop you if you wanted to then turn it into something like that.
Last edited by minispeed on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

dhanson865
Moderator
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 am
Leaf Number: 16156
Location: Tennessee

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:54 pm

TomT wrote:Why would you want to? Among other things, it is going to mess up the speedometer and odometer calibration unless you go to higher profile tires...


whats' wrong with higher profile tires? They generally improve range/efficiency/mpg.

Prius or Leaf I always get choose tires base on efficiency and then look for the best traction/handling near the top of the efficiency grouping. Often that means choosing a 15" tire over a 16" or 17" tire.

If 15" rims fit the Leaf it lets you use the P195/65R15 Energy Saver A/S and other preferable tires around that size.

If 15" rims don't fit then you have to pick from a smaller selection of 16" tires. Not the end of the world but there are tires made for one rim size that aren't made for the other even though they have the same RPM/diameter.
2012 Leaf tires 195/65/15 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, 15" Rims
wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss
(leaf range chart)
(efficiency 3.x KW vs 6.x KW)
please join Truedelta.com and input your repairs.

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them? they fit, with pics

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:21 pm

garsh wrote:
minispeed wrote:SSR Compe (type C) 15inx7 9.9lbs each
Wow! That's about 9 lbs saved per corner.
It's a tight fit.
Hmmm. I guess there shouldn't be a whole lot of deflection. I would be curious if you see any evidence of rubbing after running with them for a while.

The 16" Altima wheels that I use for my snow tires have spokes that are within a couple mm's of the caliper, and I've never had a problem with them.
Altima wheels with Blizzak tires
Image


None of the Miata or civic forums that mentioned 15in rims with big brakes mentioned deflection as an issue, and they drive much harder than my leaf will. Some of them mentioned grinding calipers for a few mm so I don't think they will deflect at all.
Last edited by minispeed on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:29 pm

And they decrease handling and braking performance, everything else being equal... They may also have a lower load rating... Not to mention that, to me, they simply look funny, like a pregnant roller skate... If all I cared about was efficiency and nothing else, I would have stuck with the crappy Ecopias...

I'm not willing to compromise to that extent just for a touch of extra range... YMMV.

dhanson865 wrote:whats' wrong with higher profile tires? They generally improve range/efficiency/mpg.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

minispeed
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jul 2014
Location: Ancaster, ON

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:46 pm

TomT wrote:And they decrease handling and braking performance, everything else being equal... They may also have a lower load rating... Not to mention that, to me, they simply look funny, like a pregnant roller skate... If all I cared about was efficiency and nothing else, I would have stuck with the crappy Ecopias...

I'm not willing to compromise to that extent just for a touch of extra range... YMMV.

dhanson865 wrote:whats' wrong with higher profile tires? They generally improve range/efficiency/mpg.


Not all of that is true to all tires.

Handling, since most people would buy 15s on a leaf for economy then most 15in tires they would chose would probably not handle as well as what you would choose for your car with 17s with your priorities as stated. If you want to improve the handling of a tall sidewall you can put a few more psi in. If you get the same tire in 15 and 17 and push it on a skid pad maybe the tall profile will brake away at .x1 G's but the 17 will give you .x7, it won't help you on the street.

Braking performance, again take the same tire in both 15 and 17 with a lighter weight 15 set up with most of the weight close to the hub and the same width the 15 will require less work from the brakes to come to a stop. Even with 195 vs 205 if that 1cm saves you from an accident then the lower performance tire would just have a scratch. If the streets bumpy the lighter 15 will be less likely to loose traction.

Most tires I've seen in the same tread width go up in load rating as the profile goes up. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422 stock for the leaf in 16. 195 65 15 has the same load as 205 55 16 and 215 50 17 and more than 215 45 17 if you chose that for a low profile look.

Now there's nothing wrong with you having your opinion on how they look, but to me a good quality 15 makes the car look smart. Like it is built with a purpose to really perform and the owner knows what works best and isn't just following the crowd. I put 17s on a 93 miata 1.6l when I was a stupid kid. First winter back on 14s and the car transformed. Turn in wasn't as crisp but a good driver will adapt. You can't compensate for heavy. My 15s will give me benefits with every rotation they make in all conditions, and if i really wanted some fun I could just put these on....http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+A048&partnum=06HR5048M&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
2015 White SV, after one month 292 GIDS
Best 1 charge drive, 229km (143miles)

User avatar
drees
Moderator
Posts: 6197
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 pm

minispeed wrote:Not all of that is true to all tires.

Well said. I'd love to find some reasonably light ( < 16 lbs ) 15" wheels that are also reasonably aerodynamic - and reasonably priced.

Hmm - looks like TireRack lists a bunch of 15" wheels that fit.

These look like a good choice: Sport Edition CS1 - 15.2 lbs. Not the most aerodynamic, though. But smaller wheel diameter with larger sidewalls should be an improvement over stock.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: 15 inch rims, anyone tried them?

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Thus, "...everything else being equal..."

minispeed wrote:Not all of that is true to all tires.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”