Three Beeps pressing the "Lock" button on the keyfob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

I've asked this before, but still don't know an answer:

If I drive my Leaf, stop, press the power switch (vehicle turns off), get out, close the door, and press the "lock" button on the Intelligent key, then I get three chimes and nothing else.
If, at this point, I press the button in the driver's door exterior, the doors lock.
If, instead of pressing the door button, I wait a minute or two, then the car locks with the press of the lock button on the key.
I can sometimes persuade the doors to lock sooner by pressing "unlock" on the key fob first (whilst the car is already unlocked). But this doesn't always work.

Is this behaviour trying to tell me something, or is it a fault that I could get rectified?

The three chimes is documented as "The Intelligent Key is inside the vehicle or cargo area" or "A door is not closed securely". As far as I can tell, neither of these are true, although it is possible that the prior owner has somehow left an intelligent key somewhere where I can't find it. I added a second key (the vehicle had only one key when I bought it, used) so if there had been a lost key somewhere inside, it would have been de-registered when the new key was added. It's unlikely to be an open door, as the lock function (using the key) works if I wait long enough.

Whenever I've gotten the "three chimes," it indicates the car is still on. When I leave the car on to go into a store (nice to leave the A/C on) and take my fob with me, when I press the button on the door to lock it I get the three chimes.

LeftieBiker said:
Try walking a few feet away and waiting a few seconds. The fob may "think" it's still inside the car.

Isn't that a series of very quick beeps (many more than three)?

epirali said:
LeftieBiker said:
Try walking a few feet away and waiting a few seconds. The fob may "think" it's still inside the car.

Isn't that a series of very quick beeps (many more than three)?

Yes, indeed, it is a series of very quick beeps, many more than three. Is this telling me something (apart from the fact that I've lost the ability to count beyond three)?

Swifty said:
If I drive my Leaf, stop, press the power switch (vehicle turns off), get out, close the door, and press the "lock" button on the Intelligent key, then I get three chimes and nothing else.
Sounds like you left the car on.

Just for kicks, I left the car powered on (in READY mode which is the green car w/arrows). Right when I close the driver's door (w/o pressing any fob buttons), I get 3 beeps. Why? To tell me I left the car on.

Swifty said:
If, at this point, I press the button in the driver's door exterior, the doors lock.
Did you receive any confirmation beeps?

If there were none and you heard the door locking mechanism work, you either left the car on (see above) or you left a door or hatch open. I confirmed both of these.

I've run into the left a door/hatch open issue when I 1st got my Leaf and was puzzled. This behavior is unlike Toyota's where IIRC, you get a VERY LONG beeeeeeeeep in protest.
Swifty said:
I can sometimes persuade the doors to lock sooner by pressing "unlock" on the key fob first (whilst the car is already unlocked). But this doesn't always work.
That's probably due to a by design feature where if you unlock the doors and no door is opened after a certain timeout, the car automatically locks itself. It's for cases where you forgot you unlocked the doors or accidental button presses. Toyota's w/Smart Key System (Toyota parlance) does this, as does my mom's 07 Altima Hybrid that also has a very similar Intelligent Key System as the Leaf.

Why do you bother screwing w/the key fob buttons in the first place? I almost never use any of the buttons, except maybe the charging door release (new feature on model year '13+ Leafs). I sometimes (but rarely) use the lock button from a distance to confirm the doors are locked (lights flash and there's a brief honk).

cwerdna said:
Why do you bother screwing w/the key fob buttons in the first place?
Normally, I wouldn't, but if I walk away from the vehicle, then get that nagging "have you locked it?" sensation, the fob button is faster than returning to the vehicle.

I'm left wondering is there's more than one "off" state. The only one I know of is when you press the power switch and the dashboard lights go out (mostly; I'm left with a flashing red Security indicator light)

The manual, under "Parking your vehicle" says:
1. Push the P switch
2. Apply Parking brake
3. Push power switch

I tend to skip 1 & 2 when I'm on level ground. So perhaps I'm not getting to the "Off" state.

Swifty said:
cwerdna said:
Why do you bother screwing w/the key fob buttons in the first place?
Normally, I wouldn't, but if I walk away from the vehicle, then get that nagging "have you locked it?" sensation, the fob button is faster than returning to the vehicle.
When you press the fob's lock button, do you get the confirmation honk accompanied by light flashes? If not, you've either left the car on or left a door/hatch open.

When I leave the vehicle, I just push the lock/unlock button on the door handle. You should hear 2 beeps to confirm locking. You can then tug on the door handles and peer inside. No reason to bother w/the fob. But, if you press the fob's lock button, you should get the above honk + light flash confirmation.

When I want to unlock, I also don't use the fob. Why bother? I just press the lock/unlock button on the door either once or twice (quickly).
Swifty said:
I'm left wondering is there's more than one "off" state. The only one I know of is when you press the power switch and the dashboard lights go out (mostly; I'm left with a flashing red Security indicator light)

The manual, under "Parking your vehicle" says:
1. Push the P switch
2. Apply Parking brake
3. Push power switch

I tend to skip 1 & 2 when I'm on level ground. So perhaps I'm not getting to the "Off" state.
We had discussion of states at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=279614#p279614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, prior to me having a Leaf. Only had an 06 Prius at the time. Maybe you're pressing power multiple times so that you don't end up in off?

From the sounds of things, w/o witnessing or experimenting, I'd guess you're leaving the car in some state other than off. When you power off, you should hear an electronic "bong" sound, which I can believe can be disabled (I've not disabled mine).

Maybe you can put up a video on YouTube of your anomalies, making sure to focus on the dash and the stereo/nav system as well?

It's very late for me and I need to hit the sack.

For me the problem occurs when the hatch or doors aren't securely closed. The hatch, in particular, can seem closed when it isn't fully latched. And whether or not it registers on the dash/locking system depends on how the hatch floats. Not common, but I suggest checking it to be sure.

dgpcolorado said:
For me the problem occurs when the hatch or doors aren't securely closed. The hatch, in particular, can seem closed when it isn't fully latched.
I'll double check hatch/doors, just in case I'm doing something wrong.

Just for closure, the issue was caused by a problem in the driver's door lock. It had been fitted incorrectly, or had worked loose. The lock contains a pin which notifies the system whether the door is locked or unlocked. For some reason this caused the lock mechanism to fail when locking the car with the fob, but left the door button working.

My local Nissan dealer (West Way, Basingstoke) diagnosed the problem and fixed it as part of my recent annual service. I'm all sorted.

So now I use the door button to open the car, and the fob to lock it (this guarantees that the key is outside when I lock the car; I managed to lock my key inside once; I forget how, before you ask).

If there is a hidden spare key in the car, the car will beep and the red security warning light indicates.
Wrap the key in a couple of layers of cooking foil to prevent it being recognised.

I just keep my fob around my neck. old habit from locking myself out of the car ALL THE TIME. I always have two keys. one around my neck (I bend over to unlock the car I do not remove it from my neck) and one inside the car so I can start it again without removing the key from my neck)

if I have a fob that goes around my neck (again key inside)

with the leaf I Just need fob around the neck.

I consider the leaf door locks to be unreliable. I have lost count of how many times I come back to the car to find it unlocked and I know I locked it and heard it lock.

so I started pressing the lock button twice. press toot. press again toot.

since doing that I Have never come back to an unlocked car.

nerys said:
I consider the leaf door locks to be unreliable. I have lost count of how many times I come back to the car to find it unlocked and I know I locked it and heard it lock.
Have never had this experience across both my former and current Leaf.

I almost always just use the buttons on the door and listen to the beeps. If I'm unsure, I tug on the door handles.

I do. It locks i tug the handle its locked but 50/50 i come back later its not locked. Never delved into why i just lock it twice and it stopped happening

nerys said:
I do. It locks i tug the handle its locked but 50/50 i come back later its not locked. Never delved into why i just lock it twice and it stopped happening

The most likely cause is the unlock button on one of the fobs being pressed while in range of the car. It's easy to press them by accident.

dgpcolorado said:
For me the problem occurs when the hatch or doors aren't securely closed. The hatch, in particular, can seem closed when it isn't fully latched. And whether or not it registers on the dash/locking system depends on how the hatch floats. Not common, but I suggest checking it to be sure.

+1 on the back hatch seeming to be closed, but not fully.

Back