Can anyone confirm if LED headlights fit directly on S line?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ty1

Hi There,

Can anyone confirm that the OEM LED headlights directly fit on the S line version (with the OEM halogen lights)? Part two of the question, does anyone know if the housing are universal, i.e. 2012 - 2015? I see on ebay they list them as 2011-2013 mainly...my Leaf is a 2015.

Thanks!

Just curious, do you want the LED due to functional differences (quality/pattern of light) or are you looking for power savings? IF the latter, how much power do you anticipate saving?

You won't save enough power to even notice the difference. Maybe 1/2 mile if you are very lucky and use the headlights a lot...

Slow1 said:
Just curious, do you want the LED due to functional differences (quality/pattern of light) or are you looking for power savings? IF the latter, how much power do you anticipate saving?

I'm looking for a higher output lighting set up. The halogens that came on my 2015 are pretty pathetic. I have a buddy with a 2012 Lead with the LEDs....it's night and day difference. The additional 40 watts of power savings is nice too.

I have a set of third-party LED elements to replace the H13 bulbs in my 2015 LEAF S. I'll post a follow-up with the results. I should receive them Wednesday (11/5/2014).

Which LED bulbs are you getting? I am considering these: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Pack-..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1415061930&sr=1-1

They are 22W on low beam and they emit 2200 lumens (which is significantly brighter than typical halogens) and the consume 28W of high beam with 2500 lumens. My concern is whether they physically fit in the fixture, and where the ballast unit gets attached.

41RtS73GezL.jpg

22W vs 50W is probably helpful to reduce the loss of range.

Don't trust lumen count from any of the aftermarket bulbs from China. I've seen what looks like the same product, even the same pictures used on 2 different ebay auctions with different stats shown.

Okay, that is probably true for most product specs.

I took a look at the situation in the headlight fixture, and the bayonet mounted cup cover over the back of the bulb socket would have to be omitted with these (or any?) LED bulbs, since even if they fit under the cover, they would get too hot. There is plenty of room, otherwise.

I would go with HID, they are 35 watts and will be brighter than any aftermarket LED you will find.

NeilBlanchard said:
Which LED bulbs are you getting?
Surprise, surprise! I received the LED headlights yesterday! I got these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131120507239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are listed at 1600/1800 lumens and are roughly the same brightness as the stock HIDs on my 2004 Mazda 3. Not as focused since they're not projectors like the Mazda, but still a significant improvement over the halogens.

The LED kit is from Japan and has official CREE LED elements.

Here is how I installed mine:
1. Remove the baffle behind the bulb (turn counterclockwise)
2. Disconnect the power from the bulb and remove the bulb (turn counterclockwise)
3. Disassemble the power plug, pull the wires back through the baffle (including the rubber plug)
4. Reassemble the power plug outside of the baffle
5. Enlarge the hole in the baffle using a 1/4" drill bit to let the power plugs and cables from the LED lights pass through
6. Install the LED light -- the fit may feel loose and require you to use the grommet from the old bulb
7. Pass the power cable(s) for the LEDs through the baffle and connect them
8. Connect the power cable to the ballast and test!
9. Reinstall the baffle and secure the ballast -- I attached mine to the side of the lens enclosure with strong Velcro

I also got these for the license plate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230777571088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and these for the dome/cargo lights:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111102170177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for everyone's knowledge, the 2013 LED headlights (as well as other years I'm sure) fit directly on the 2015 S model. I had to hardwire the headlights in but other then that everything went smooth! It's a night and day difference between the OEM halogen and OEM LED.

Thanks - do you know how many watts they consume on high and low beam? Do they have fans on the back, or are they passively cooled?

I found some passively cooled units on EBay and Amazon - I like to not have to depend on some tiny little fan running in order for the expensive light bulb to keep working.

Edit: I just ordered these 20W LED high low beam H4 bulbs:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-CREE-...ie=UTF8&qid=1415901705&sr=1-27#productDetails

51-lfBKKoyL._SL1136_.jpg

These look like they are well made, and I like the passively cooled design - they don't depend on a tiny fan to keep it cool, and they are lower power consumption than any I found. The power supply looks much smaller than most, as well.

Hopefully, they work well and decrease the range less than the stock halogens on our Leaf S.

Saving 70 watts will save you less than 1 GID an hour, that's less than 1/3 of a mile per hour of driving.

Sorry, I posted on another thread here on this forum.

These bulbs are H4 and don't fit the Leaf S. I tried one in my Scion xA and the "neck" on the unit, between the flange and the heatsink is too short to allow the wire retention clip to be moved back into place. It might be better with warmer weather, but not without some skinned knuckles and possibly cutting away a bit of the sides around the bulb to allow ones fingers to get at it.

I did place one in the right side (which clipping it in) and powered it up and it seems very bright and the focus looked fine. The Leaf has a lot more room behind the headlights than my xA, but the design of the base needs to be improved.

You know what? If the last part of the cord is unplugged, it might just have a H13 style plug on it! Edit: No, that would have made too much sense. They are 3 pin connectors, but not compatible with H13 plugs ...

I can confirm they do not fit directly in to each other. And that is a huge bummer because I can't even find a pigtail to make it work.
Halogen plug only have 6 wires and the LED have 10 but only use about 9.

3 wires on each go to what looks like the turn signal.

On the LED 4 wires go to the ballast. Their colors are Black, Orange, Red, Green
On the LED 4 wires go to the Headlight High and low beam bulb.

On the Halogen 3 wires go to the Headlight High and low beam bulb.

:geek: :geek:

Any Ideas?

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows how to do the wiring from OEM HALOGEN TO OEM LED it would be a great deal of help thanks !!

ty1 said:
Hi There,

Can anyone confirm that the OEM LED headlights directly fit on the S line version (with the OEM halogen lights)? Part two of the question, does anyone know if the housing are universal, i.e. 2012 - 2015? I see on ebay they list them as 2011-2013 mainly...my Leaf is a 2015.

Thanks!

Same question here. The stock 2018 S headlights are not bright enough. High beams are good. Would definitely love to upgrade to LEDs.

Back