Nhinman
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 314783

Re: Help: Homelink mirror upgrade on 2015 model S

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm not sure about the Leaf, but on a lot of Nissan's the dome lights are not constant hot. I installed a mirror with autodimming, homelink, temp, and compass on my Frontier PU when I bought it. My lights were controlled through the BCU and dim and switch off under different situations. You possibly would not notice though because they would be supplied with power when the door was opened or the FOB activated. I do know however, that if you turned the light on, turned the vehicle off, the power to the dome lights will shut off after a certain time.
2015 SV
LED & Quick Charge Option
Texas

Blzlovr
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 315633

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm

redta1977 wrote:I have read several threads on here about mirror upgrades but I haven't found one where someone has done an upgrade on a S model. Has anyone done the upgrade? My main question is whether there is a place to get 12 volt switched power in the headliner.

Thanks in advance!

Got my Homelink mirror with compass installed yesterday by a local auto stereo shop in my 2015 Leaf S. I bought it and the wiring harness from eBay for 90.00 and Beach Auto Sound charged 85.00 to install. It was easy to program and I am very happy to have one again. I did the same setup for my 2007 Prius Pkg. 2.

eBay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281546144148
Mirror description 329.00 MSRP: http://mito-auto.com/index.php?option=c ... gory_id=14
Gentex instructions: http://www.gentex.com/automotive/produc ... pport-faqs
Local shop: http://www.beachautosound.com
2015 Nissan Leaf S - Gun Metallic
Quick Charge Port
Huntington Beach, CA

Agkirk
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 314348

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Need a little help with getting the OEM mirror off the window of a 2015 LEAF S. I see the little rectangular opening at the lower right corner of the mirrors trim plate but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out where the release tang is located. I've tried feeling with a small flat bladed screwdriver to no avail. At first I thought there was a TORX up in there but don't believe that is true anymore.
Next problem will be to get power to the new mirror. How does one disengage the plastic map light surround in order to tap the lamp power?
I am hoping I will be able to fish the power lines to the front window trim edge with a clothes hanger probe. Let me know if that has been tried and found to be a bad idea.

Thanks
2015 LEAF S
White

Nhinman

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Agkirk wrote:Need a little help with getting the OEM mirror off the window of a 2015 LEAF S. I see the little rectangular opening at the lower right corner of the mirrors trim plate but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out where the release tang is located. I've tried feeling with a small flat bladed screwdriver to no avail. At first I thought there was a TORX up in there but don't believe that is true anymore.
Next problem will be to get power to the new mirror. How does one disengage the plastic map light surround in order to tap the lamp power?
I am hoping I will be able to fish the power lines to the front window trim edge with a clothes hanger probe. Let me know if that has been tried and found to be a bad idea.

Thanks

Not sure how the S OEM mirror attaches. The SV OEM mirror does mount with a TORX screw, but it is pretty obvious. You would see it. Yours probably has the wide metal spring clip up under the mount. You have to get something thin up behind it while pulling the mirror off. I cut the #@*! out of my hand doing one of those.

The map light surround just snaps on/off with clips. I took the little black rubber stoppers off thinking there would be a screw behind them, but there wasn't. They are just stops for the lid.

You won't have to fish the lines with anything. Once you pull the trim off, you can reach the edge of the headliner with your hand. It's pretty open and hollow.
2015 SV
Texas

Agkirk
Forum Supporter

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:03 pm

I am still struggling with getting the mirror off. I've tried various thin flat bladed screwdriver and a thin piece of sheet metal but can't seem to find the release tang! Any chance you would have the old mirror and could take a picture of its back side? Maybe a picture would help me. How hard do I dare push on the mirror support; would hate to crack the windshield or cause the base mount to come loose?
I also tugged on the overhead surround but once again was fearful that I might break a clip or the plastic. Are the clips molded into the plastic or are they separate?

Thanks
2015 LEAF S
White

Agkirk
Forum Supporter

Sun May 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Making some progress on the mirror change. Still need help on getting the overhead panel opened up. Tried more careful pulling but whatever holds it to the ceiling/headliner doesn't seem to budge.

For the mirror I took these photos. The first picture is of the backside of the mirror foot. The small screwdriver, from a Chinese tool kit for battery replacement, points to the release tang. Only needed a gentle push toward the mirror or car interior to get it to release. Small blade of screwdriver was inserted flat to the window surface and then a gentle twist was all that was needed.

This next photo is of the windshield mount. Note the raised portion at the top, where the upside down 'V' or carrot character is visible, this is where the tang engages.

This is a photo of the mirror mount foot just for reference.

2015 LEAF S
White

Nhinman

Sun May 10, 2015 8:26 pm

[quote="Agkirk"]Making some progress on the mirror change. Still need help on getting the overhead panel opened up. Tried more careful pulling but whatever holds it to the ceiling/headliner doesn't seem to budge.

On my SL it was just plastic clips that were part of the trim housing (one molded assembly). It might help if you can get your fingers up behind the plastic trim and press inwards to help release the clips.
2015 SV
Texas

Agkirk
Forum Supporter

Mon May 11, 2015 8:46 am

Were the plastic retainer 'clips' on the sides or front/back edges? I got enough space for a peek on the right edge and there appeared to be a post about a 1/4 of the way forward from the back edge. Are there four post and what are they hooked over? I thought the headliner was fabric covered foam so I was worried that pulling the plastic retainers too far down would tear a chunk of foam out.
2015 LEAF S
White

Nhinman

Mon May 11, 2015 5:52 pm

Agkirk wrote:Were the plastic retainer 'clips' on the sides or front/back edges? I got enough space for a peek on the right edge and there appeared to be a post about a 1/4 of the way forward from the back edge. Are there four post and what are they hooked over? I thought the headliner was fabric covered foam so I was worried that pulling the plastic retainers too far down would tear a chunk of foam out.

Had to look at mine again to refresh my memory.

This is back top of the assembly.
These 2 prongs are towards the rear of the car. They side into
slots on the trim piece above the headliner. Don't try to pull this
side down.

This is the front top of the assembly, towards the front of the car.
The metal spring clips you see pull straight down out of slots in the
body (metal roof). Once you pull these down, the tabs towards the
rear will slide out.

These are the 2 slots in the roof that the spring clips/tabs insert into.
Pull straight down. These are towards the front of the car.
2015 SV
Texas

Nhinman

Mon May 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Agkirk wrote:Were the plastic retainer 'clips' on the sides or front/back edges? I got enough space for a peek on the right edge and there appeared to be a post about a 1/4 of the way forward from the back edge. Are there four post and what are they hooked over? I thought the headliner was fabric covered foam so I was worried that pulling the plastic retainers too far down would tear a chunk of foam out.

Does the S model have the auto-dimming mirror??
2015 SV
Texas

Return to “Accessories / Mods”