VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 am

Saw a new VW GTI in traffic the other day and noticed a little trick aero device that is new on the sides of the rear hatch tying into the spoiler. It's almost like a Gurney-flap, my guess is some sort of vortex generator to keep air attached around the rear of the hatch to create a virtual kammback.

2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Temperatures rising and using AC more so I cut a little hole about 3x6" in the center of the grill block. I'll start small and expand as I see fit. I wasn't seeing any overheating conditions but noticing the fans running more often and also the outside temperature gauge is not accurate, especially when using the AC and shows 20-30F above ambient meaning that there is not much airflow under the hood even at highway speeds. Good for drag, bad for AC.

Check out the damage the little coroplast block has taken over about 2 months. Might be worth it to upgrade to G10 or hell even carbon fiber :mrgreen:

2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

NeilBlanchard
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 am

IssacZachary wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:
VitaminJ wrote:I don't think camera side mirrors will ever really work with a flat screen. On the Bolt it is built into the rear-view mirror, and people report it's almost unusable because when you're driving your eyes are focused way out in front of you and a mirror let's you maintain that same focus range and look behind you. A video screen requires your eyes to re-focus on the screen itself at a much closer distance which causes problems. Maybe some sort of holographic screen that could project a 3D image and mimic a mirror would work.

Well I mean of course camera mirrors work lol but not for a production vehicle. Someone will probably do it to their Leaf, or maybe already has, but it won't be me!

I drove with video side mirrors for over 5 years, and I had no such problems with it.

Don't we all have to focus our eyes differently to look at the instrument cluster? Maybe cars in the future will have holographic instrument clusters and gauges.

On the other hand I wonder what laws there are regarding mirrors. Seems like the never-sold Aptera originally was going to have cameras and no mirrors. Then they had to put mirrors on it due to the regulations. Not that the laws can't be reversed. In 1968 the VW Beetle lost its classic bulb-in-lens-housing headlights due to new regulations stipulating that the headlights had to be a single sealed unit. But nowadays there isn't a car that hasn't gone back to the bulb-in-lens-housing style.

Tesla, Ford, GM, VW - and many others have wanted to use side video mirrors. If we cannot even get this basic kind of law changed - then there is NO CHANCE we will see autonomous cars, for a very long time.

Brenthasty
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 023724

Tue May 30, 2017 8:18 am

VitaminJ wrote:Temperatures rising and using AC more so I cut a little hole about 3x6" in the center of the grill block. I'll start small and expand as I see fit. I wasn't seeing any overheating conditions but noticing the fans running more often and also the outside temperature gauge is not accurate, especially when using the AC and shows 20-30F above ambient meaning that there is not much airflow under the hood even at highway speeds. Good for drag, bad for AC.

Check out the damage the little coroplast block has taken over about 2 months. Might be worth it to upgrade to G10 or hell even carbon fiber :mrgreen:

Glad to see someone out of thier armchair posting results. So what kind of gain are you seeing?

My styrofoam grill block collected quite a bit of embedded debrree like that, the most interesting was an embedded quarter!

Being a motorcycle riders that made me cringe...

My current choice in a non intrusive field expideiant grille block is a 7$ piece of rain gutter filter from home Depot. This triangular piece of open pore filter foam allows an amount of positive air flow, yet still yeilds gains within a few percent of a solid grill block, and can be easily stuffed in and out at will...

Return to “Accessories / Mods”