User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm

VitaminJ wrote:kidjan, I apologize for kicking it off. Everyone is agreeing with eachother very sternly. Everyone is pretty much saying the same thing.


Me too.

It's common on forums for everyone to be arguing thinking everyone else has it wrong when they actually all agree on the same point but are only emphasizing a certain aspect of the same point.

I wish I had more time to get some aeromods on my Leaf. I'm planning a 360 miles round trip this weekend and the weather is predicting up to 15mph winds.

Here's an aeromod for you. An air speed indicator. Ok, so yes this has more to do with driving techniques again. But it would be really handy to have and would complement your other aeromods.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

VitaminJ
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775
Location: Morrison, CO
Contact: YouTube

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 am

Airspeed sensor, that might help. I actually have a bunch of pitot tubes and sensors and stuff from my drones... That might help on long drives, but it'd be similar to driving for a target power figure. Instead you drive for a target airspeed. It's hard to judge wind strength from inside the car but I think a target power setting gets you 90% there.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:08 am

To clarify what I was saying about coasting and regen: coasting is for when you want to carry speed and keep moving the car forward - and regen is for when you need to slow down.

If I owned our Leaf, I would have considered replacing the side view optical mirrors with video mirrors:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969-17.html#post106080

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969-18.html#post106284

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/2010/09/eyes-forward-video-mirrors-on-my-xa.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969-38.html#post242809

Image

Doing this helps drag two ways: reduces the frontal area and lowers the Cd, as well. And, it reduces / eliminates blind spots.

Other aeromods to my old Scion xA:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969-31.html#post175899

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969-51.html#post447649

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-aero-mods-2969-52.html#post447681

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:If I owned our Leaf, I would have considered replacing the side view optical mirrors with video mirrors


I wonder if after deleting the mirrors if flattening the headlight fixtures would decrease drag. It seems the lights are that shape only to reduce noise by diverting are around the mirrors. But without mirrors those lights would not be necessary. It seems the Nismo Leaf doesn't have such bulky headlights.

Image
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:If I owned our Leaf, I would have considered replacing the side view optical mirrors with video mirrors


I wonder if after deleting the mirrors if flattening the headlight fixtures would decrease drag. It seems the lights are that shape only to reduce noise by diverting are around the mirrors. But without mirrors those lights would not be necessary. It seems the Nismo Leaf doesn't have such bulky headlights.


That would be a very tough mod to do. A Kamm back would be the biggest payback, I think.

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:21 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:A Kamm back would be the biggest payback, I think.


It definitely would be, at least before a full tall. :mrgreen:

I need to get a kammback on my Leaf this year. If I get to it I'd like to do a full, but removable, "boat" tail (I prefer the term "airplane tail without wings").
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

VitaminJ
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775
Location: Morrison, CO
Contact: YouTube

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:35 pm

I don't think camera side mirrors will ever really work with a flat screen. On the Bolt it is built into the rear-view mirror, and people report it's almost unusable because when you're driving your eyes are focused way out in front of you and a mirror let's you maintain that same focus range and look behind you. A video screen requires your eyes to re-focus on the screen itself at a much closer distance which causes problems. Maybe some sort of holographic screen that could project a 3D image and mimic a mirror would work.

Well I mean of course camera mirrors work lol but not for a production vehicle. Someone will probably do it to their Leaf, or maybe already has, but it won't be me!
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 am

VitaminJ wrote:Airspeed sensor, that might help. I actually have a bunch of pitot tubes and sensors and stuff from my drones... That might help on long drives, but it'd be similar to driving for a target power figure. Instead you drive for a target airspeed. It's hard to judge wind strength from inside the car but I think a target power setting gets you 90% there.

Yes, for long distance travel.

In my case I calculated how much percent of SOC I should have at certain intervals. When going from Gunnison to Montrose the miles per kWh gauge either shows about 1 mile per kWh going up hills and above 8 miles per kWh going down hills making it not so handy. Maybe I could figure out how to use the average function, but then again I would have to calculate each interval and print it out. If I hit an interval with too little then I have to go slower until the next interval and try to make up for it. Or of I have more then I can go faster.

I think an airspeed indicator could be more accurate in terms of resolution compared to the miles per kWh gauge. It would allow me to figure out if I need to or can go slower or faster at the moment too, instead of relying solely on comparing results at intervals.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 306278

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am

VitaminJ wrote:I don't think camera side mirrors will ever really work with a flat screen. On the Bolt it is built into the rear-view mirror, and people report it's almost unusable because when you're driving your eyes are focused way out in front of you and a mirror let's you maintain that same focus range and look behind you. A video screen requires your eyes to re-focus on the screen itself at a much closer distance which causes problems. Maybe some sort of holographic screen that could project a 3D image and mimic a mirror would work.

Well I mean of course camera mirrors work lol but not for a production vehicle. Someone will probably do it to their Leaf, or maybe already has, but it won't be me!


I drove with video side mirrors for over 5 years, and I had no such problems with it.

User avatar
IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789
Location: Gunnison, CO, USA

Re: Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:23 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:
VitaminJ wrote:I don't think camera side mirrors will ever really work with a flat screen. On the Bolt it is built into the rear-view mirror, and people report it's almost unusable because when you're driving your eyes are focused way out in front of you and a mirror let's you maintain that same focus range and look behind you. A video screen requires your eyes to re-focus on the screen itself at a much closer distance which causes problems. Maybe some sort of holographic screen that could project a 3D image and mimic a mirror would work.

Well I mean of course camera mirrors work lol but not for a production vehicle. Someone will probably do it to their Leaf, or maybe already has, but it won't be me!


I drove with video side mirrors for over 5 years, and I had no such problems with it.

Don't we all have to focus our eyes differently to look at the instrument cluster? Maybe cars in the future will have holographic instrument clusters and gauges.

On the other hand I wonder what laws there are regarding mirrors. Seems like the never-sold Aptera originally was going to have cameras and no mirrors. Then they had to put mirrors on it due to the regulations. Not that the laws can't be reversed. In 1968 the VW Beetle lost its classic bulb-in-lens-housing headlights due to new regulations stipulating that the headlights had to be a single sealed unit. But nowadays there isn't a car that hasn't gone back to the bulb-in-lens-housing style.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

Return to “Accessories / Mods”