DEI 545t nite-lite auto headlight module

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk1971

Anyone install a DEI 545t auto headlight module in a Leaf S?

Can someone direct me to the schematics of the headlight switch assembly? I'd like to know if the headlight switch provides a low current signal to the ECU which directs the signal elsewhere to the headlight relay for the high current (like in my Prius C), or is it like a Yaris in which the the headlight switch directly switches the high current for the headlight.

Either case, I might just buy a DEI 545t and install it in my 2015 Leaf S since the 545t is compatible with both configurations mentioned above. I'd just like to have a drawing so I wouldn't have to test-out each wire with a meter to see what it does.

Thanks.

Found a site with the FSM pdf.

Looked up the exterior light section and found this:

OUTLINE
Headlamp is controlled by combination switch reading function and headlamp control function of BCM, and
relay control function of IPDM E/R.
HEADLAMP (LO) OPERATION
• BCM detects the combination switch condition with the combination switch reading function.
• BCM transmits the low beam request signal to IPDM E/R with CAN communication according to the headlamp
(LO) ON condition.
Headlamp (LO) ON condition:
- Lighting switch 2ND
- Lighting switch AUTO (auto light function ON judgment)
- Lighting switch AUTO, with the front fog lamp switch ON and the power switch ON
- Lighting switch PASS

Looks like I'm good to go. Just ordered a 545t and I should be installing it this weekend.

I'm interested in doing this for my 2015 Leaf S, where did you buy the module?

tk1971 said:
Found a site with the FSM pdf.

Looks like I'm good to go. Just ordered a 545t and I should be installing it this weekend.

Blzlovr said:
I'm interested in doing this for my 2015 Leaf S, where did you buy the module?

After looking through the FSM, it seems like the DEI 545t is not compatible with the Leaf.

DEI: http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-545T-Nite-Lite-System/dp/B000CJ24YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426630123&sr=8-1&keywords=dei+545t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FSM: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Leaf/2014%20Leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of particular importance is BSC-8. That shows the matrix of the 5 inputs and 5 outputs. The 545t is like on/off relay with 2 channels based on the photocell level. Unfortunately, the Leaf's headlight switch doesn't just close a signal connection to the ecu telling it to turn the lights on. At first, I got all excited that I found inputs and outputs, but that quickly died after studying the matrix in BSC-8.

Unless, of course, I missed something (like I was mistakenly looking at the CANBUS section for headlight logic and US cars are not CANBUS?).

Anyone car to study this and confirm?

I tried to add 545t system to a 2016 Leaf S but got nowhere. Has anyone figured out a solution?

Actually I tried to spoof the combination switch (headlight/wiper switch) by adding a diode in the appropriate matrix position by tapping into the wires that go to connector M27 but nothing happened. If that would have worked I would have used the 545t relays to add diodes to the combination switch circuit when the lights were supposed to come on based on the 545t photocell input.

Page BCS-8 of BCS.pdf and page EXL-202 of EXL.pdf were helpful.

Here are pinouts for the White connector M27 under the steering column combination switch;

Pin Color
1 Light Green -- ??
2 Gray -- Output 4
3 Red-- ??
4 Sky Blue-- ??
5 Brown -- Output 3
6 Black-- ??
7 White -- Input 3
8 Blue -- Output 5
9 Beige -- Input 2
10 Yellow -- Input 4
11 Pink -- Input 1
12 Violet -- Output 1
13 Gray -- Input 5
14 Green -- Output 2

The combination switch matrix drawing in the manual doesn't show anything other than diodes, but the switch itself has resistors and other components on the circuit board.

Subscribed: I'd consider one for the leaf.
I saw someone ask where to buy the DEI nightlight. I got the one in my diesel powered VW from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-545T-Nite-Lite-System/dp/B000CJ24YY

jayl said:
Also very interested in this. .. would auto off on power down be easier?

Doesn't the Leaf already power off the headlights when you leave them on? I remember doing this. Sure, the warning comes on when I power off the car, and the headlights stay on a couple of minutes, but they eventually turn off. I'll double check when I get a chance.

JAYL, can you confirm year and trim level of your Leaf that auto shuts off headlights even without automatic mode on the light switch stalk?

My 2013 SV also turns its headlights off after healing at me for a few minutes.

Has anyone investigated adding the SL photocell? It looks to be just a few wires, but I have no idea what the VCM or switch would think.

I figured out Automatic Headlights using OEM hardware (signal stalk aka combination switch and optical sensor).

Besides the hardware there is a software component to this. The Auto Headlight function needs to be turned on and the settings need to be set. Here's the thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23734

Back