lipcius
Delivery Date: 27 Feb 2015

Problem installing Daytime running lights

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 pm

Today I finally installed Philips DayLightGuide 12825 DLR lights, which look nice and work ok.

However I came to several problems, where I need some help.

1. While charging the LEAF, the lights turn automatically on (Since Philips is connected to 12V battery and while sensing that something is happening turn the DLR on). It would be ok, however it says that the lifetime of these LEDs is 5000Hours, so if they will operate every night while charging (~8 hours) it will not last me even two years. This exact model Philips 12825 DLR says it's compatible with hybrid and electric vehicles. Anyone has any idea about this?

2. I connected everything according to manual - red and black to the battery, yellow to the lights (sensing that lights are on, the LEDs automatically dim, so you can use them during night too), however one cable (Blue) I decided to leave unplugged, as Wiring instructions for hybrid and Stop/Start models says this wire has to go to Car's fuse box, KL15 or ACC pole (+). (for normal cars it just goes to car's ground) Could someone please try to explain me where this would be in the 2013 LEAF? (I am hoping this wire would solve if not the 1st issue, so at least the next one)

3. Since the blue cable is not connected, it's probably causing that sometimes when the car is idle, but on, the LEDs go off for several seconds and then suddenly on again (however when I tried this, the radio, heater and most of the things were off, hopefully that caused too little fluctuations in the 12V battery and philips thought the car was off). But maybe some of you might guess a different cause to this?

So as you understand I need most of the help with the 2nd question, however if you have any ideas about others, please reply. Thanks a lot.
2013 Nissan LEAF SV
OEM backup camera install, Philips 12825WLEDX1 DRLs

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Re: Problem installing Daytime running lights

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:44 pm

My guess is that the blue cable you left unconnected is connected to some sort of relay that senses when the car (but not necessarily the engine) is on. I don't know how difficult it is to run a wire through the Leaf's firewall, but have you considered connecting this wire to the cigarette lighter port (or whatever fuse it is serviced by)?
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Vehicle ground is any bare metal bit on the chassis. Find an exposed bolt loosen it and hook it under there and cinch down again. I'm not sure if they would consider an electric to be like a hybrid or like as regular car though. Maybe call and ask them? There's probably a technical support number in the booklet. Good luck!

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

lipcius

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:13 pm

GeekEV wrote:Vehicle ground is any bare metal bit on the chassis. Find an exposed bolt loosen it and hook it under there and cinch down again. I'm not sure if they would consider an electric to be like a hybrid or like as regular car though. Maybe call and ask them? There's probably a technical support number in the booklet. Good luck!

Blue cable needs to be connected to vehicle ground on "normal" car. On electric/hybrid/start-stop car you need to connect it to the fuse box. Like RonDawg probably rightly guessed, somewhere where it could sense only when the car is really ON. Probably it will solve the ON while chargning problem. But I really need help to know where something like "KL15 or ACC pole (+)" on a Leaf is. Might it be that it's the same "12V ignition ON" on #57, you GeekEV wrote in your instructions?
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

lipcius

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:16 pm

RonDawg wrote:My guess is that the blue cable you left unconnected is connected to some sort of relay that senses when the car (but not necessarily the engine) is on. I don't know how difficult it is to run a wire through the Leaf's firewall, but have you considered connecting this wire to the cigarette lighter port (or whatever fuse it is serviced by)?

My guess is the same, it should work with something like cigarette lighter port, which is active only when the car is ON. However the cable is long enough only to reach somewhere close to the battery and fuse boxes. Can something like this be there? How should I connect it to the fuse?
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

lipcius

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:25 am

I tried to connect the blue wire to the #57 in the Power Distribution Module (PDM), as written in this topic viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6134

However I got an Intelligent key error, and the car lost it's ready to drive status. I am glad I had Leafspy pro and could reset the error codes after disconnecting the cable, so the car is ok again.

But the blue wire is loose. I am lost where to connect it. The manual says " Car's fuse box, KL15 or ACC pole (+) " - what could this be in a LEAF?
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:17 am

I started on my DRL install and horn upgrade. I need to dig out my ramps, so the only thing I've done so far is setup power to feed the DRL's. I used an add-a-circuit with a two amp fuse to tap into the fuse box behind the battery where the power for the factory DRL's comes from. I bought an inexpensive light set.
Part:
http://smile.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH ... +a+circuit
Pics:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... =folder%2c
DRL:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q ... UTF8&psc=1
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

lipcius

Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 am

baustin wrote:I started on my DRL install and horn upgrade. I need to dig out my ramps, so the only thing I've done so far is setup power to feed the DRL's. I used an add-a-circuit with a two amp fuse to tap into the fuse box behind the battery where the power for the factory DRL's comes from. I bought an inexpensive light set.
Part:
http://smile.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH ... +a+circuit
Pics:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... =folder%2c
DRL:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q ... UTF8&psc=1

Hi, does the power come to this third fuse? From the Manual it's number 72, right?

2013 Nissan LEAF SV

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:46 am

Yes, #72 has power when it is on and ready to drive.

Connecting the blue wire there may solve the problem with your existing light set.

My light set does not have a controller box, so this will be the positive feed for them.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

lipcius

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 am

Need some more help!

I connected the blue cable to the #72, as shown above, but the only big difference it made was that lights didn't go off after turning off the vehicle much longer - more than a minute. The worst thing is that it still turns on while charging. I thought maybe my blue wire had bad connection, so I tried to connect the red cable directly there (instead of + on the battery), and the strange thing is that this #72 fuse gets power even while chargning. It's meant to be daylight fuse, right? So why getting power when charging? Can someone confirm they are getting same results?

Thanks a lot.
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

Return to “Accessories / Mods”