baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: Problem installing Daytime running lights

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:36 am

I used the meter to check for power on #72 with the ignition on, off, and in acc mode.

I'll have to check tomorrow and see if #72 gets power while charging.

Do you have the negative wire connected to the frame, or directly the the battery negative post?

Check the fuse box to the left of the battery (I don't remember what all it feeds). You may find one in there that is only hot when the ignition is on. If so, try the blue wire there and the red wire on #72. Connect the black wire to the frame so that is doesn't interfere with the battery current sensor electronics.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:18 am

hey lipcius,

Sorry for the late response, I've been swamped, and didn't see the various notifications until just now.

Are you still having problems?

The wire for hybrid/EVs is what's critical here, without it, it won't function properly (on regular vehicles, it analyzes the load on the battery to figure out if the vehicle is running or not, but that doesn't work with EVs since the voltage doesn't drop).

I don't remember if the lights stay on during charging, I know they turn on, but I think they turn off after the time-out value is reached (at least it looks like it does during cooling/heating the vehicle, which also charges the car).

Would love to see pics of your install.

The only thing I would do different (and still might) is installing a switch which allows me to pick 3 modes:
  • auto: default behavior
  • on: no matter if headlights are used, keep them on at full brightness
  • off: completely cut power to the lights

lipcius
Delivery Date: 27 Feb 2015

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:57 am

lion wrote:hey lipcius,

Sorry for the late response, I've been swamped, and didn't see the various notifications until just now.

Are you still having problems?

The wire for hybrid/EVs is what's critical here, without it, it won't function properly (on regular vehicles, it analyzes the load on the battery to figure out if the vehicle is running or not, but that doesn't work with EVs since the voltage doesn't drop).

I don't remember if the lights stay on during charging, I know they turn on, but I think they turn off after the time-out value is reached (at least it looks like it does during cooling/heating the vehicle, which also charges the car).

Would love to see pics of your install.

The only thing I would do different (and still might) is installing a switch which allows me to pick 3 modes:
  • auto: default behavior
  • on: no matter if headlights are used, keep them on at full brightness
  • off: completely cut power to the lights

Yes, still having one problem. The lights are on all the time when I charge the Leaf, so it's a waste of LEDs lifetime during the night in the garage. I counted that this way they will not last me more than two years. So I really need to find how to solve this problem.

I have connected red and black directly to the battery. Even then everything worked fine, only when the car was on but standing still, with radio and heater off, would turn the LEDs for one second off and then back on. Today I connected the blue wire to #72, so I think this problem is solved. However since #72 gets power during charging, the LEDs are on all this time. So I really have to find if its just in my car, or that I just have to find a different wire which gets 12V ONLY when the car is in READY mode...
Last edited by lipcius on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Nissan LEAF SV
OEM backup camera install, Philips 12825WLEDX1 DRLs

lipcius

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:02 am

By the way, lion, I noticed that after connecting the blue wire to #72, the LEDs keep on for about a minute or even more after I turn off the vehicle. When philips was connected only to the battery it did shut off ~30 seconds after turning off the vehicle. Can you check how long your LEDs are lit after you turn off your vehicle?
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

lipcius

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 am

Some updates:

I tried some other places and fuses for the red wire. I tried the fuse box to the left of the battery. Both 1st (DTLR) and 2nd (Audio amp) fuse gave power while charging. So seems they also don't fit my requirements. Are there any fuses under the hood, which don't get power when under charge, like USB and 12V inside the car?

Here are some images of how the DLRs look. Ofcourse they look much better live, as the white is much more white and the brightness really stands out, perfectly maching the car's LEDs color.

2013 Nissan LEAF SV

lion

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 pm

I will check how long they stay on, but I used a public charging station earlier while having lunch, and when I got back to the car, lights were off. All my wires go to the battery and/or PDM, I will try to check the PDM tonight to see how I wired it (don't remember for sure, and my post with details is gone).

Also, worst case scenario, I assume your calculations accounted for the fact that it only takes a couple of hours to charge the car? Even at that rate, it will probably last as long as the car does.

I'll post an update ASAP.

lion

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:07 pm

I just opened up the IPDM to check the wires.

Both blue and orange wires from the Philips control unit go to the IPDM, which is mounted on the driver's side wheel well.

To open the IPDM, pop all 4 tabs carefull so you can lift the 'cover' (everything is connected to that cover, so it's thick, heavy and you will feel some resistance) about an inch or so. Once you did that, you should be able to twist it 90" counter clock wise, which then should let you lift the cover 90" in the other direction (towards the driver side) so you can access the wires.

I had to cut 2 notches (pretty deep) so both wires would fit with the cover closed.

Keep in mind that the vehicle is pretty active the first few minutes after shutting down power (you can hear the hum), so personally, I would wait at least for that before proceeding (in theory, you are supposed to disconnect all power, etc.).

Now, the wires I'm talking about go to that large plug to the left of that large green relay on the bottom, as seen in the pic below. Make sure you pay attention to that, as the same colors are also used on other plugs in that IPDM.

• Orange Philips wire is connected to the blue IPDM wire
  • Blue Philips wire is connected to the red IPDM wire

According to the service manual, the red wire (pretty sure it's #57) provides battery voltage when power switch is ON. The orange (#51) goes to the LH headlamp.

lipcius

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Ok, so I connected the blue wire back again where I did it first - in the 57th fuse wire of the PDM.

Last time, however I immediately got an "Intelligent key error" and the car was blocked withouth READY to drive sign. Back then I had to reset the car's computer from errors to be able to turn on/off the car again.

This time while connecting the blue wire, I waited much longer after turning off the vehicle and also disconnected the red philips cable from the cars battery, to be sure not to get any current while connecting. And it did not give me any errors this time. Everything seems to be working fine, except... the DLRs turn on while charging... :)

I tried to drive the car for couple of minutes (for the philips box to get more data), however this did nothing yet. Haven't also checked how long the DLRs are on while chargning (without blue cable, they are on all the time the car is charging).

I really wonder if there is no way to make the DLRs off when charging? Maybe connect the philips red wire also directly to 57 IGN? That way they would get the power only when the car is on?
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

lion

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:13 am

I plan on charging my vehicle as soon as I get home (normally I do this overnight), and will monitor it during the evening and report back.

That said, if you really are concerned about it, we could use a relay to cut power, but I wouldn't power the lights using that ignition wire.

I also had various problems with those type of taps (there isn't much space in there).

Did you cut a hole for those wires, or was there one already, and I missed it? I did bring the wire insulation all the way into the IPDM, so the wire itself isn't exposed to the elements.
Last edited by lion on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

lipcius

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks, I will be waiting for your results when charging.

Yes I drilled a small hole inside the PDM, which was marked in a way as if exactly for that purpose. On the left side of the PDM there is already a nice hole for the cable. Here is the close-up.
2013 Nissan LEAF SV

Return to “Accessories / Mods”