hmmwv
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:47 pm

OrientExpress wrote:I would advise against replacing the turn-signal bulbs front or rear, because the turn signal lamps are monitored by a "bulb out" circuit, and all of the T10 LEDs bulbs on the market today will trigger a bulb out event. This is because of the low current draw of the LED bulb fools the monitor circuit into thinking that the bulb is defective. The only way to avoid that is to bridge the bulb power lines with a large resistor to fool the circuit.

On B-platform cars like the LEAF, a bulb out event is indicated by a rapid blinker relay sound (which is artificial) instead of a warning message.


I don't plan to replace the turn signal bulb, only the parking light that's in the same housing as the high beam, there is no problem replacing that one, is there? What about the fog light, can it be switched to LED too? Thanks.
2013 LEAF SL w/Premium Pkg, Brilliant Silver, 40,159 miles, LeafSpy: 57.13 AHr, SOH 87% as of 06/12/2017

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:01 am

hmmwv wrote:I don't plan to replace the turn signal bulb, only the parking light that's in the same housing as the high beam, there is no problem replacing that one, is there? What about the fog light, can it be switched to LED too? Thanks.


Sorry, I did not fully understand your inquiry.

For the City (Parking) lights the wedge bulb I recommend are these from SuperBrightLEDS.Com. They are about $4 each, and fit great. Select natural white for the 6K version.

Here is what they look like installed:

Image

For Fog lights, I have not yet moved from Halogen, I still use a Hella H11 bulb that has a yellow tint. But the advances with CREE LED assemblies have made H11 LED bulbs quite reasonable.

Here is one that is representative of the selection of CREE based bulbs on eBay. I recommend the smaller non-heatsink bulbs simply because the back of the Fog Light reflector is exposed to the elements.

Image
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

AutoHaulersinc
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:35 am
Delivery Date: 08 May 2015
Location: Corinth, TX
Contact: Website

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:09 am

I replaced all turn signal bulbs with LED like I have done on all my cars and I didn't get any bulb out lights but like all LED turn signal conversions I did have to do the load resistors which is pretty simple, think keeps them from hyper flashing. One thing I do like about the conversion is that there is no more yellow in the upper fixture when the light isn't flashing...
2015 Leaf S - Gunmetal
17" Drag 35 Wheels - Michelin LRR Tires - Black Lugs
Neon Green Calipers and Valve Stem Caps
Emblems Shaved
Mudflaps Ditched
LED Dome/Hatch/Turn Sig/Backup Lights
LED Headlights
Class 1 Trailer Hitch/Wiring
Wolo 114db Horns

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 am

AutoHaulersinc wrote:I replaced all turn signal bulbs with LED like I have done on all my cars and I didn't get any bulb out lights but like all LED turn signal conversions I did have to do the load resistors which is pretty simple, think keeps them from hyper flashing. .


Yes, the load resistors are necessary. One thing to be aware of with any load resistor installation is that the resistors themselves get very hot, so make sure they are not pressed against any plastic parts as the heat they generate can melt or distort the plastic.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

AutoHaulersinc
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:35 am
Delivery Date: 08 May 2015
Location: Corinth, TX
Contact: Website

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:48 am

OrientExpress wrote:
AutoHaulersinc wrote:I replaced all turn signal bulbs with LED like I have done on all my cars and I didn't get any bulb out lights but like all LED turn signal conversions I did have to do the load resistors which is pretty simple, think keeps them from hyper flashing. .


Yes, the load resistors are necessary. One thing to be aware of with any load resistor installation is that the resistors themselves get very hot, so make sure they are not pressed against any plastic parts as the heat they generate can melt or distort the plastic.


I've noticed this with the smaller ones which is why I only buy the larger units that stay cooler. Shocking how hot the little ones get!
2015 Leaf S - Gunmetal
17" Drag 35 Wheels - Michelin LRR Tires - Black Lugs
Neon Green Calipers and Valve Stem Caps
Emblems Shaved
Mudflaps Ditched
LED Dome/Hatch/Turn Sig/Backup Lights
LED Headlights
Class 1 Trailer Hitch/Wiring
Wolo 114db Horns

hmmwv
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:28 pm

OrientExpress wrote:Sorry, I did not fully understand your inquiry.

For the City (Parking) lights the wedge bulb I recommend are these from SuperBrightLEDS.Com. They are about $4 each, and fit great. Select natural white for the 6K version.

Here is what they look like installed:

For Fog lights, I have not yet moved from Halogen, I still use a Hella H11 bulb that has a yellow tint. But the advances with CREE LED assemblies have made H11 LED bulbs quite reasonable.

Here is one that is representative of the selection of CREE based bulbs on eBay. I recommend the smaller non-heatsink bulbs simply because the back of the Fog Light reflector is exposed to the elements.


Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I see it's listed as a 194 LED, is that the same connector as the T10/W5W listed per the LEAF manual?
2013 LEAF SL w/Premium Pkg, Brilliant Silver, 40,159 miles, LeafSpy: 57.13 AHr, SOH 87% as of 06/12/2017

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm

hmmwv wrote:I see it's listed as a 194 LED, is that the same connector as the T10/W5W listed per the LEAF manual?


Yes, complete PnP

Image
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

hmmwv
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 am

OrientExpress wrote:
hmmwv wrote:I see it's listed as a 194 LED, is that the same connector as the T10/W5W listed per the LEAF manual?


Yes, complete PnP


Great, I just ordered those plus the H9 high beam bulbs you recommended in your original post, the eBay seller just got them in stock again.
2013 LEAF SL w/Premium Pkg, Brilliant Silver, 40,159 miles, LeafSpy: 57.13 AHr, SOH 87% as of 06/12/2017

hmmwv
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:05 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
hmmwv wrote:I see it's listed as a 194 LED, is that the same connector as the T10/W5W listed per the LEAF manual?


Yes, complete PnP


OE, I received the bulbs and just got them installed, the parking light looks great, matches my LED low beam perfectly. However compare to the OEM bulb it seems that the LED bulb sticks out much farther, I know it's a longer bulb but it's so much longer and heaver than the halogen bulb that I'm really concerned that it may fall off the socket and into the lens. I wedged it really well inside the socket so the plastic kind of grabs the rubber sleeve on the LED bulb, but I'm still worried. I know the socket isn't extremely tight as the halogen bulb was pretty easy to remove, but as it's smaller and lighter it's less likely to fall off. Have you noticed this?

I also got my natural white dome and license plate lights replaced and they are really easy to do.
2013 LEAF SL w/Premium Pkg, Brilliant Silver, 40,159 miles, LeafSpy: 57.13 AHr, SOH 87% as of 06/12/2017

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:10 am

Yes, that LED bulb does stick out a bit more, but just make sure that it is firmly seated in the connector. Some have taken electrical tape and wound it around the base of the LED and the connector to hold it in. Road vibration is not an issue, but the bulb can be knocked out of the connector when it is removed if you are not careful. And if the bulb falls into the headlight assembly, then say good-bye to it.

Glad to hear that everything else is working out. I have also replaced just about every bulb in my LEAF with an LED save the turn-signal bulbs. That's because LEDs don't draw enough current, and set off the "bulb-out" circuit. This can be fixed by putting a bridge resistor in the circuit, but I figured that upgrading the interior, headlight, license plate, and side markers lamps with LEDs was enough.
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Return to “Accessories / Mods”