Can the Nismo ECU upgrade be installed in a US car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like this is for an ICE device, so what use would it be for a leaf?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085015_nismo-offers-to-chip-your-leaf-electric-car-for-better-performance

Ok found more info. never mind.

Nope! Japan 2013+ cars only. Must be done at a Nissan shop in Japan, no way to just buy the part. I've already talked to importers about this. Don't bother.

Too bad.
It's an exciting upgrade. Nissan USA should have it as an option for their 2016 Leaf for US markets.

One nit: From the picture, I would have preferred Red colour side mirror units instead of the Blue.

JeremyW said:
Nope! Japan 2013+ cars only. Must be done at a Nissan shop in Japan, no way to just buy the part. I've already talked to importers about this. Don't bother.

index_img_08.jpg

Are you talking about this? Actually it is called VCM.

Such a shame that they never brought this over to the US. It would certainly breath new life into my 2012 Leaf. I heard that it was priced around $1,400 MSRP. I would consider it at that price.

I made several calls to Nissan NA after trying to get it through a dealer. I got no where. What I really want is the throttle response of the 2011 model on my 2013.

knightarmor said:
What I really want is the throttle response of the 2011 model on my 2013.

+1

I really miss the accelerator pedal response of the 2011--just floor the pedal in either D or ECO to get full acceleration from a stop. To get the best acceleration with the 2015 requires feathering the accelerator pedal to get to 80 kW without pressing it to the floor.

I take it that this $1,000+ device does not add power? All it does is increase pedal sensitivity so it feels more responsive or torquey than it really is?

I have yet to see dyno charts or advertised power gains. Where's the beef?

Has anyone made any headway in this? Installing a Nismo VCM in a US car? Yes, I know you can't simply buy a Nismo VCM from Japan, need to buy the entire car there, or with luck, find a crashed/part-out car there.

Back