360 camera DIY?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjdoe

The backup camera trick was a nice add-on. We are looking for an 2013-15 SL with the 360 cameras. A tough find. (SL's are hard enough to find). Can they be added on, at home, in a PRACTICAL manner? How close does the pre-wiring get you? Would you need a software upgrade? Is the screen just waiting for a signal? This sounds a lot more complicated!
But we finally saw one in action. I assumed it was just a gimmick - but it looked very practical. No dealer had one in stock with that feature. We found one at the Leaf fair last weekend. And the owner was glad to show it off!
Would it be used much? I dunno. But I'm sure there are times it will be useful.
(I would probably just drill a hole in the mirror fairings and JB Weld the cameras in. I didn't notice where the front camera was mounted. I'm sure that's online)
And also - when can you use these cameras? Anytime? Is it limited to under a certain speed?

We LOVE our cameras and the view it provides, not only backing up, but when pulling into the garage going forward (it is a tight fit and with the camera showing the way and bright yellow tape on the floor it gets parked in the perfect position every time). We also use it every time we park in public parking spaces as we are able to miss other cars and park evenly between the lines in the center of the parking spot.

That said, I would recommend getting what you want from the factory. I am a firm believer in not wasting time and money adding on features that you should be able to find already built that way.

Graffi said:
We LOVE our cameras and the view it provides, not only backing up, but when pulling into the garage going forward (it is a tight fit and with the camera showing the way and bright yellow tape on the floor it gets parked in the perfect position every time). We also use it every time we park in public parking spaces as we are able to miss other cars and park evenly between the lines in the center of the parking spot.

That said, I would recommend getting what you want from the factory. I am a firm believer in not wasting time and money adding on features that you should be able to find already built that way.
I love OEM factory options, but I would love to see a way to add the around view after the fact. Many times you can save a ton of money by adding an option you really want, later, rather than paying for an expensive option package that includes things you don't want. For those of us who may be more frugal, it isn't necessarily a waste of time/money to add an option later. Good luck OP, I am considering the rear view camera for about $200 cost, but curious is the around view might be an option as well.

The 360 camera is a rare item to find. The very top option - in a car that is mostly S models.

Did anyone figure this out? I just purchased a 2013 SL and would like to add the 360 camera. I don't mind turning a wrench or working with the wiring, just want to know if it has been done.

There are a couple of aftermarket 360 view kits that would probably be better overall. At least one of them lets you use the cameras full time, and record the output.

jjdoe said:
The 360 camera is a rare item to find.
Not to me. I leased a '13 SV w/both packages. I bought a used '13 SV w/premium only. By definition, both had the AVM.

When I was in the market for a used '13 Leaf, I passed on one that was also a '13 SV w/premium. And, in the auction list that was sent to me where I picked out 2 Leafs I was interested in, out of the 21 '13 SV Leafs, 11 of them had premium package. Used car dealer won the auction on one and that's what I drive now.

I think it'd be cost prohibitive to retrofit w/factory parts unless you can get them a wrecked Leaf. You'd need to add the backup camera (if not already there), probably a new front charging door w/the camera underneath the Nissan hamburger logo along w/2 new side mirrors (which have the cameras underneath). Then, you might need wiring for all these + a different head unit that has the camera button on it. Not sure if that head unit (since it's for the Bose stereo) would work properly w/the non-Bose speakers and w/o the subwoofer in the trunk.

You'd definitely be missing the (coiled) wiring under the charging door.

You can see the coiled wire in the pics at http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/ along w/the stereo I'm talking about.

Back