TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:43 am

QueenBee wrote:... But really virtually all of the problems J1772 set to solve become problems again when you use a 120 volt portable EVSE so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me...

The EVSE set out to make the higher current connection in a safer manner.

If the 120V portable EVSE is being used correctly it should always be connected to the 120V source first before being attached to the vehicle.
The current when the 120V connection is made is very low just what powers the EVSE.

Much safer then plugging up 120V direct to the vehicle that immediately starts pulling 12 amps.

Is it a big deal?
That is an opinion judgement call.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

QueenBee
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062
Location: Bellevue (Seattle), WA

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:14 am

TimLee wrote:
QueenBee wrote:... But really virtually all of the problems J1772 set to solve become problems again when you use a 120 volt portable EVSE so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me...

The EVSE set out to make the higher current connection in a safer manner.

If the 120V portable EVSE is being used correctly it should always be connected to the 120V source first before being attached to the vehicle.
The current when the 120V connection is made is very low just what powers the EVSE.

Much safer then plugging up 120V direct to the vehicle that immediately starts pulling 12 amps.

Is it a big deal?
That is an opinion judgement call.


And if the poster correctly uses their setup it would always be switched off before being disconnected from 120 volt receptacle. No different than a portable 120 volt EVSE. You'd need a way to disconnect the EVSE or else the car would not drive and that switch would take the place of the J1772 handle switch.

So it's no different than a portable J1772, if you don't perform the disconnect steps in the correct order you are going to get arching. Like I said above a portable J1772 EVSE essentially defeats most of the safety features of J1772.

TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 am

QueenBee wrote:...
And if the poster correctly uses their setup it would always be switched off before being disconnected from 120 volt receptacle.

I agree on disconnect.
But it wasn't clear to me that on connecting to the LEAF it might start pulling 12 amps immediately.
Maybe I missed something and the relay configuration is being used to act as a disconnect until you flip a switch :?:

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

QueenBee
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062
Location: Bellevue (Seattle), WA

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:03 pm

TimLee wrote:
QueenBee wrote:...
And if the poster correctly uses their setup it would always be switched off before being disconnected from 120 volt receptacle.

I agree on disconnect.
But it wasn't clear to me that on connecting to the LEAF it might start pulling 12 amps immediately.
Maybe I missed something and the relay configuration is being used to act as a disconnect until you flip a switch :?:


I've thought about doing the same thing the OP proposed but wanted the extension cord on a short pull out reel. I never did it as figuring out how to mount it, and the EVSE etc. seems like more work than just pulling out the EVSE, especially after upgrading to the newer model that's smaller and has lighter cable. But If I were designing this I would hardwire the line 1 and line 2 in parallel to the J1772 inlet from the standard relays in the onboard EVSE I was installing and hardwire ground. Then the proximity wire and the pilot wire would be on a switch/relay. So you'd plug in the extension cord, flip the switch and it'd start charging. Then when you were done you'd flip the switch off before unplugging. Then you could also go the extra mile and implement some more of the J1772 features. Regardless of the manual switch if there is 120 volts coming in from the extension cord then send the proper resistance on the proximity line so the car knows it is plugged in. Then the switch in the off position could send the proper resistance on the proximity line for still connected but J1772 handle release button is pressed until 120 volts is disconnected. Or something along those lines.

powersurge
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 am

I believe that we are talking about a possible danger in plugging the evse into the car BEFORE the evse is plugged into the 120v a/c outlet??? I don't think that it really matters... The 120v evse box goes through a self-check before the lights turn green and it is ready to charge... I used an electrical timer between the 120v outlet and the evse plug for over 6 months (so I could charge later at night) without any problems. Now I have the 240v evse, which has eliminated all charging problems....

TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 am

powersurge wrote:I believe that we are talking about a possible danger in plugging the evse into the car BEFORE the evse is plugged into the 120v a/c outlet??? I don't think that it really matters...

It matters if the LEAF is set to start charging immediately as the 120V plug will arc pretty bad when plugged in.

Didn't matter in your case as timer was off.

And I agree with QueenBee that portable 120V has same concern as hard wired 120V connection on the LEAF.

The key to safety in both cases is doing things in the right sequence.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Danl
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:29 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 404384
Location: Vancouver, Wa

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 am

I do not know how the Leaf charge would be set up. But I do know that 12a instant-on will spark when plugged in to an extention cord and that the female connector on the extention cord will go bad in about 6 months of usage in this fashon.

Thanks,
Dan
2013 SilverLeaf, bought used with 25200 miles

Durandal
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:55 am
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018
Location: Central Arkansas

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:05 pm

kaiat wrote:
A bit odd, but why would Nissan know that the current charger will be replaced 04/20/2017?


That's a very good catch. Maybe that's when we will see Leaf 2.0?
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

kaiat
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:56 am
Location: Bergen, Norway

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Durandal wrote:
kaiat wrote:
A bit odd, but why would Nissan know that the current charger will be replaced 04/20/2017?


That's a very good catch. Maybe that's when we will see Leaf 2.0?


Well, I see that the end date is now changed from 04/20/2017 to 10/27/2017. Delayed perhaps?

blimpy
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:36 pm
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2014

Re: 6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 pm

This GREAT NEWS.. because used stripper S cars with 3.3 KwH charger and no QC are Cheap Cheap Cheap..
regardless of age or mileage.

This conversion or rightly Swap is no challenge to many of us.

One of the great benefits of buying a leaf.. is the relatively large production numbers.. and evolutionary development
akin to the air cooled VW beetle of yore. This means a good supply of parts from wrecks and parted out cars.

Hopefully this will result in fewer plain S cars being parted
2016 SV purchased 11/2/16 With Subsidies From Sonoma Clean Power, North Sonoma Air Pollution Control District, Evergreen, and State of California, and $15,000 in discounts from Jim Bone Nissan Santa Rosa California. :D Color Me GRATEFUL Long Time Coming !

Return to “Accessories / Mods”